Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-06-2016, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

A modest proposal....

I think I'm much like others when it comes to using the menu system.

Most stuff in the menu I either set once and forget about or never use at all.

Why not allow the photographer to set up a user menu system that shows only those settings the user wants to display and hide the rest?

I wouldn't think it all that complicated - a few more lines of code in BIOs?

02-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a really interesting idea. Or maybe just a "favourites" Menu with user-chosen shortcuts. But it might really complicate things for beginners. Would be a cool function for higher tier cameras, though!
02-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But it might really complicate things for beginners.
Of course I assume you can always easily go back to factory default if you wish.
02-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
A modest proposal....
That's a very strange short story! You should read it if you haven't already

02-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
That's a very strange short story! You should read it if you haven't already
If you are referring to the Swift essay I read it decades ago in university.
My use of the phrase here is intended to be a bit more literal.

Last edited by wildman; 02-06-2016 at 07:35 AM.
02-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In a sense, perhaps wildman is proposing we should be able to "cook" the menu options, certainly to decide what is on the menu.
02-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think it would be good to use the Control Panel for this sort of thing .... a customisable Control Panel where you can organise your own favourite menu items with an icon and place them in the positions you prefer ......

02-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Extending this idea a bit further, how about enabling cameras to be configured through a computer application? Working on a computer screen could be a lot more pleasant than the 3" screen on the camera. And this app could give you access to settings not available on the in-camera menu system. The app could go well with a favorites or "most often used" in-camera menu.

Letting my imagination run wild:

1) how about if the app allowed add-ins to be installed, be they commercial, user defined or freeware downloadable from PF?

2) the application could display the appropriate manual page for each setting as it's selected.

3) how about incorporating some form of tethering in the app to provide, for example, focus adjustment from a laptop, or for that matter, let the app adjust focus for you.

4) Wildman's wish that never-used and set-and-forget items be hidden until needed would go a long way to making the camera simpler to use in the field. How about the capability to add user menu items, say... it the camera had the ability to execute user defined macros or stored procedures.

5) It would be great if the application could save firmware image complete with any customizing and add-ins, so that should something go wrong system restoration is possible.

Feel free to add new features to this fantasy application.

Last edited by erichope; 02-06-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Additional content
02-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony and some other cameras provide a user selectable "user" menu. So it is doable.

Pentax provide the "iinfo" menu but it is not user changeable. This would be the place to implement this just allow selection of what appears in that menu.
02-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
In a sense, perhaps wildman is proposing we should be able to "cook" the menu options, certainly to decide what is on the menu.
You hit the nail on the head.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Why not allow the photographer to set up a user menu system that shows only those settings the user wants to display and hide the rest?
It would be a photographers dream to get this far and its surely possible with software tweaks. I dont see why no one is doing it so far - the herd mentality has clouded our vision long enough accept innovation in increments only.
02-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you use the User Settings feature? It's not what you propose, but it does make things a bit easier. For example, I have one of my settings set up for manual lenses. I choose that setting and all my menu settings for manual lenses are automatically set. It's actually a pretty neat deal.
02-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
It would be a photographers dream to get this far and its surely possible with software tweaks. I dont see why no one is doing it so far - the herd mentality has clouded our vision long enough accept innovation in increments only.
I thought some people do have it? At least some cinema cameras have got that feature. Don't Sony mirroless have that option?
02-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes Sony has this.
02-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by erichope Quote
1) how about if the app allowed add-ins to be installed, be they commercial, user defined or freeware downloadable from PF?
Let's not give Ricoh any ideas. Sony already does this:
'There are also some premium apps, including one to capture star trails ($9.99), another for time lapse photography ($9.99), and another that expands the bracketing functionality of the camera ($4.99). A full list is available on the Web so you can have an idea of what's available and how much each costs (no app is more than $10) before you invest in the Alpha 6000.' Wi-Fi and Apps - Sony Alpha 6000 Review & Rating | PCMag.com
Here's your K3. Now pay a little extra and you get to use your Astrotracer. It's as bad as in-game purchases for gaming.
02-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think you can do that with Canon bodies using CHDK. Not sure how many people who use CHDK bother, though.