Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #31
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Bert, sounds interesting, be sure to post a photo. In the meantime, you could get the "quick connects" from Optech & use them as a grip: (second photo)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/313912-what-camer...ml#post3528092

02-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Optech straps on the majority of my stuff although I'm using the original Pentax strap on my K-01 and a Nikon wrist strap on my Q. A while back, I bought a Domke strap on sale from B&H and have been using that on a LowePro bag and I like it a lot because it absolutely refuses to slip off my shoulder. My most unusual straps are old army surplus rifle slings. A guy at a Nikon school workshop recommended them years ago so I went out and bought a couple. I've had them 30+ years and they show no sign of wearing out. They used to be my main camera straps, but these days I've relegated them for use as replacement straps on camera bags.
02-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #33
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I actually put the strap on last night and it was SO annoying, I'm taking it off again...
Same! We need to find a solution... I'd like a normal strap, but with some quick release system, as others have pointed out. I need my hands to be free sometimes
02-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the link in @CSA post just above.

02-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just because............
Arn't we just a well informed little bunny then.
02-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #36
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does that mean you are not?
02-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Way back in the last century, on the HS newspaper staff, if a student was caught carrying a camera without the strap around his neck it was grounds for immediate dismissal. Since we were obligated to have one athletic and one extra-curricular activity every semester, being dismissed was risky - you could be assigned to Glee Club or Model UN or something else you really didn't want to do.

I still use a traditional neck strap on my cameras. Sure, I wrap it around my left hand now, but the camera resting state is neckstrap around my neck hanging about diaphragm height
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I actually put the strap on last night and it was SO annoying, I'm taking it off again...

02-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always felt that camera straps just get in the way of taking pictures and did not use one for quite some time. But then after some camera drops and a couple ruined lenses, I put a strap on and got in the habit of putting it around my neck when not shooting. Although I still do take the strap off my neck most of the time when I shoot.
02-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Does that mean you are not
Correct... I'm a man and therefore the last to find out anything.

I also work on a need to know basis, which often spares me from a lot of grief.
02-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate stretchy straps. The thin woven nylon variety work well for me.
The best ones have a slightly wider non-slip suede patch in the center.
They're comfortable enough for a classic film SLR of average weight.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I still use a traditional neck strap on my cameras. Sure, I wrap it around my left hand now,
but the camera resting state is neckstrap around my neck hanging about diaphragm height

Properly adjusted the strap helps hold the camera steady when shooting.

Chris
02-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I took the creative route I made my own sling strap from a rifle shoulder strap from WalMart and use my tripod D link connecter for the head to mount the camera or a eye with threads. I have tested it with 25 lbs of weight on it and it held great.
02-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Way back in the last century, on the HS newspaper staff, if a student was caught carrying a camera without the strap around his neck it was grounds for immediate dismissal. ..
Ah, the olden days...
02-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #43
Imp
Pentaxian

I think i've figure out a solution! At least for me. @jatrax @csa I don't know if this was what you were mentioning before, but here it is.

OP/TECH USA System Connectors Mini Quick-Disconnect 1301082 B&H

Planning to just pop my regular pentax strap onto those, and now its quick release! I don't have an issue with my current pentax strap, probably because i've never used anything better its mainly an issue with the pain of removing and putting back the strap...

Some reviewers say its not big enough or strong enough for DSLRs, but maybe they're talking about Canon 5d cameras, because one reviewer wrote:
QuoteQuote:
Used these to make a strap a quick disconnect so I could switch from battery grip to regular grip easier. There were four sets in the package - very handy. They seem to be more than strong enough for my Pentax K3 with battery grip and a 200mm telphoto.

Last edited by Imp; 02-14-2016 at 04:37 PM.
02-14-2016, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Does anyone know if having the strap fit in like this, will it warp the metal key-chain lug piece (Don't know they're called)? How safe is it having the strap like this compared to having it strapped down the bottom?
I've had that triangle ring essentially unravel/unwind if the camera or strap got caught on something. I used to carry with the BlackRapid clip through the loop exactly like that.
It took surprisingly little force. Regardless, the camera fell and the lens mount broke on the lens along with some internal elements breaking loose.
Luckily the repair was still relatively inexpensive. The K5 was built like a tank and took the fall without issues.
02-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I think i've figure out a solution! At least for me. @jatrax @csa I don't know if this was what you were mentioning before, but here it is.

OP/TECH USA System Connectors Mini Quick-Disconnect 1301082 B&H

Planning to just pop my regular pentax strap onto those, and now its quick release! I don't have an issue with my current pentax strap, probably because i've never used anything better its mainly an issue with the pain of removing and putting back the strap...

Some reviewers say its not big enough or strong enough for DSLRs, but maybe they're talking about Canon 5d cameras, because one reviewer wrote:
I think that's the one they referenced.
I'm thinking of getting those or something like this:
http://www.amazon.ca/Peak-Design-Anchor-Camera-Quick-Connectors/dp/B00Q5XY2YQ/

Because like you, I don't mind the strap I just want to take it on and off more easily.