Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I've had that triangle ring essentially unravel/unwind if the camera or strap got caught on something.
It tok surprisingly little force. Regardless, the camera fell and the lens mount broke on the lens along with some internal elements breaking loose.
Luckily the repair was still relatively inexpensive. The K5 was built like a tank and took the fall without issues.
Thank you! That was exactly what I meant and was fearing. I've always thought that little triangle ring would unravel because it's so thin and feels so light. I guess I will stick with what I have since that's probably the best for me even if I feel uncomfortable, I will eventually learn to deal with it. I did just buy my BlackRapid RS Sport a week ago after all.

02-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Op-Tech system is similar to Peak Design's, and has the advantage of being compatible with your existing straps. I am a little concerned about the strength and security of those fasteners though. The Peak Design looks better engineered, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating....
02-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #48
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think that's the one they referenced. I'm thinking of getting those or something like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Peak-Design-Anchor-Camera-Quick-Connectors/dp/B00Q5XY2YQ/ Because like you, I don't mind the strap I just want to take it on and off more easily.
more expensive

But it looks like a nice system

Last edited by Imp; 02-14-2016 at 05:13 PM.
02-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
more expensive

But it looks like a nice system
You generally pay more for better engineering and materials. There is also more stuff in the package - the Arca-style bracket, extra attachment points and a very nice strap

02-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #50
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You generally pay more for better engineering and materials. There is also more stuff in the package - the Arca-style bracket, extra attachment points and a very nice strap
I think these are just the links, or am I wrong?

EDIT: sorry, I clarified, I was replying to Bertwert's post
For the price of just the peak design links, one can get the op/tech strap as well
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676096-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1010062_Super_C..._Uni_Loop.html
02-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #51
Veteran Member

For the price of just the peak design links, one can get the op/tech strap as well
OP/TECH USA Super Classic Strap-Uni Loop (Nature) 1010062 B&H
It's your money

I'm not sure what I'm getting myself so...
02-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #52
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It's your money

I'm not sure what I'm getting myself so...
Me neither

02-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the price of just the peak design links, one can get the op/tech strap as well OP/TECH USA Super Classic Strap-Uni Loop (Nature) 1010062 B&H
That is the neck strap, I use the sling strap and have it rigged so one connection is on the tripod plate as shown above and the other goes on the camera strap connection. This means the camera hangs by my side or slightly behind with the grip pointed down. Makes it very easy to grab and shoot. I cannot wear a neck strap all day without neck pain, the sling strap is no problem, either working or hiking.

Here is the sling adapter link, you get this plus get the strap of your choice. One nice thing about the op/tech system is all their stuff is interchangeable. I have several straps in different colors, so I can be fashion conscious You can get a thin strap, a classic, a pro strap, a camo strap, a navy blue strap

I wish they made a leather one, I even emailed and asked them about it. They said no, but they would sell me the connectors if I wanted to get the strap made locally. I might do that, just because I can
02-14-2016, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #54

Here's a view of my K-50 with the Peak Design Slide attached:

And a look at everything packed away:

02-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
I always felt that camera straps just get in the way of taking pictures and did not use one for quite some time. But then after some camera drops and a couple ruined lenses, I put a strap on and got in the habit of putting it around my neck when not shooting. Although I still do take the strap off my neck most of the time when I shoot.
Preventing camera drops is probably the biggest reason to use a strap. I rarely wear my strap around my neck. I prefer non-slip types that will sit on my shoulder. Tripod quick releases that aren't locked are another easy way to drop a camera. That's why whenever I'm using a tripod and start to change locations, I stick my hand through my camera strap before I grab my tripod and move it. That way, even if the camera isn't locked in good via the quick release and comes loose, I'll be able to stop it before it hits the floor. Using a camera strap is a bit like wearing a seat belt in a car. Sure, it's a little trouble and chances are you won't really need it, but for those few times you do, you'll be very glad it's there.
02-15-2016, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamrac N-40 "Flames"

I also own a couple of these. I don't use them - they're kind of heavy - but they're tres cool:

Chris
02-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #57
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The Op-Tech system is similar to Peak Design's, and has the advantage of being compatible with your existing straps. I am a little concerned about the strength and security of those fasteners though. The Peak Design looks better engineered, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating....
I've used OptTech straps for many, many years with absolutely no problems. Here's a video about the strength & security of their fasteners:

02-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Domke Gripper neck strap (1-inch -- 25 mm), with OP/TECH Uni-loop quick disconnect clips (short loops on the camera's strap rings; mating connectors on the Domke strap). The Domke is comfortable and non-slipping.

The heaviest combination that I can bear is my K-5 and DA 300/4. I can manage the slightly heavier Sigma 70-200/2.8, but it gets uncomfortable after a hike.

When using a neck strap, I follow two very important rules:

1. Never leave the strap dangling at the edge of a table or other surface. ALWAYS place the entire strap on the surface.

2. When using a tripod, always remove the strap.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-15-2016 at 04:11 PM.
02-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #59
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
2. When using a tripod, always remove the strap.
I leave the strap on, and wrap it around a leg to secure it.
02-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I leave the strap on, and wrap it around a leg to secure it.
When I used to use the OEM strap, it goes on my neck first thing and every time I change lenses, it's on my neck. If every time I use a tripod, it's on my neck. I would never leave it off my neck unless it's inside the camera bag. I was super paranoidly protective of my gear. Now that just recently bought and use a BlackRapid RS Sport, I am learning to let it go.