Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
While out there, do not wear perfume or cologne, or any type of strong smells. Birds are sensitive to this type of stuff as are all wild animals. Just my two cents from being out there and noticing such problems.
Nope, I'm well aware of this! Living in the boonies, perfume etc., are not used. All my lotions are scentless.

02-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I picked up the ameristep on clearance for a little under twenty dollars

as long as you tack the corners down and make sure you have a good backdrop it works ok

it fits back into its case without much difficulty

it is a one person blind

I use a three cornered stool and a blanket as a ground cloth so I can move without making too much noise

I have had almost as much use with a section of camo material draped between trees or bushes

hope that helps
02-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed those ideas do help; thank you! I have a beautiful 3-legged fold up chair, with a back on it, that's very comfortable; so I'm ok in that department. This is what I have:

Quick-E-Seat | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
02-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Nope, I'm well aware of this! Living in the boonies, perfume etc., are not used. All my lotions are scentless.
That's good Carol. Not everyone knows this so that's why I posted it. I also wear muted colors, i.e., blues and blacks. No flashy reds, yellows or greens, unless the green is army green.

02-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

different brand same seat

not as comfy for hours of perching as a big chair but it allows you to swing around with relative ease
if you use a tripod you will find it a better fit inside as well

the only problem with blinds is the necessity of letting things get used to their presence
also if you have a good backdrop (a tree, a shrub or rock) you usually only have a 270 degree aspect available

I don't what you are trying to capture
but you can use game calls from a blind very effectively
mouse squeakers pull a lot of birds, for example

be careful though ....Montana's varmints are a lot bigger than ours
the worst I get is a coyote or a bobcat up my back, unless it's the neighbor's dog

good luck and have fun
02-21-2016, 10:21 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm considering getting a small "pop-up" blind, in order to shoot birds, etc. Any suggestions?

I'm looking at these:

Ameristep Stealth House Blind - 607485, Ground Blinds at Sportsman's Guide

Guide Gear Deluxe 4-panel Spring Steel Blind - 655862, Ground Blinds at Sportsman's Guide
I have the tall one person fold up Ameristep blind. It has windows that unzip with no mesh. One of the 'windows' is the door to walk through. I bought some plastic orange tent stakes since they are easier to see if dropped than the little dark metal ones that are provided. They are hard to spot when dropped in a shadowed area. I use a small plastic lightweight patio chair with a back on it. Of course it does not fold. I don't have any problem folding the blind up again, it folds Into a fairly flat round disc.
02-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks Brian! The mesh wouldn't be a complete problem, I would assume one could cut a slit in it for the camera lens to go thru.
Absolutely, though it's nice if you can reseal it if you live in an area where the black or deer flies can carry you away. Of course you may just end up sealing them inside with you.

02-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
be careful though ....Montana's varmints are a lot bigger than ours
I've lived in Montana most of my life, and now for the past 20 years living full time in the mountains, trust me, I am well aware of Montana's wildlife. Cougars, black bears, wolves, rattlers, are among some that are in this area.
02-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I have the tall one person fold up Ameristep blind. It has windows that unzip with no mesh. One of the 'windows' is the door to walk through. I bought some plastic orange tent stakes since they are easier to see if dropped than the little dark metal ones that are provided. They are hard to spot when dropped in a shadowed area. I use a small plastic lightweight patio chair with a back on it. Of course it does not fold. I don't have any problem folding the blind up again, it folds Into a fairly flat round disc.
Thanks for this information! I like that the windows unzip with no mesh. The orange tent stakes are a great idea! The chair I linked to in a previous post is what I'll use. I cannot stand for very long, as both my knees are now bone on bone, and standing causes severe pain. So sitting in a blind will be nice! With your experience with it, looks like the Ameristep would be a good one for me!
02-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Thanks for this information! I like that the windows unzip with no mesh. The orange tent stakes are a great idea! The chair I linked to in a previous post is what I'll use. I cannot stand for very long, as both my knees are now bone on bone, and standing causes severe pain. So sitting in a blind will be nice! With your experience with it, looks like the Ameristep would be a good one for me!
When I set it up in the back yard, the birds get real close, the grandkids have used the big sigma on a tripod in there. (With me supervising of course) It does look like I'm trying to hunt deer from the back yard, lol. If you ever do set it up in the back yard be forewarned that your dogs will figure out quick that they can crawl under the edge and get inside. Then they realize they just entered the "you have to be still and lie down in here" zone.... Oh boring!
02-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's where I plan on setting it up initially, is in my backyard. My yellow lab stays in the house when I'm photographing birds, as she's extremely curious & friendly and wants to go right up and say "Hi" to the birds!
02-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you get one of those popup blinds, Carol, do let us know which one you get and how it works.

We have a lot of vegetation/trees here in the northern Adirondacks (NY) that usually I can find natural blinds, but in some open areas that's not possible. I've thought of putting up my floorless tent but it has only a door and no windows. I've wondered if the popup blinds would be feasible. Thanks for starting this thread.
02-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you! I certainly will post how it works for me, when I get it!
02-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've been using one similar to the Ameristep, but smaller. Works well, not hard to set up, and it has holes on 3 sides I can shoot through. These are about 3" x 4", and at a good height but I have to sit inside cross legged, not tall enough to use a stool.

It works fairly well, I've used it on the lake bank to get shots of ducks and in the yard to get shots of birds on the feeder. I set it up about 10 feet from the feeder and even the very wary Red Bellied Woodpecker will finally show up and stay to eat as long as I don't move around.

I should have held out for a larger one like the ones you're looking at but finances were tight and I found this one on sale, so I grabbed it. The only thing I don't like is the height, I'd really like to be abl;e to use a stool, it's not easy to stand up after sitting in there for an hour...

If possible, you can set it up and leave it in place, then the critters get accustomed to it being there after a day or two, and if you can, have someone else walk out to it with you and then leave. Animals can't count, they think everyone left.

I hang a towel on the back side of mine to block sunlight, it has camo netting on the top section on all 4 sides. That lets the sun create a good silhouette at times. The zip up doors have 2 zippers that work from either end, I can leave the top slightly open and shoot through there too.

Overall it's a good way to get some nice pictures. As far as scent goes, you can build a smakl fire and stand in the smoke for a few minutes before going out, that's what we did for deer hunting when I was a kid. Deer smell campfires all the time and don't notice you, they think it's another campfire. I picked up a cheap poncho at a dollar store to use as a ground cover, then I fold up an old and well used tarp to put over it. Nothing quite sucks as much as sitting on wet ground after a heavy dew...or rain...Since I can't use a stool I use a square, padded boat cushion.

Poking the lens out the shooter holes doesn't seem to make any difference, even Wood ducks didn't get spooked.
02-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I found the tripod, lens combo (500mm) and the beeps and shutter noise doesn't spook the birds in town, only if I come out from behind the tripod camera assembly do they fly off. So lens through hole in Blind usually will not scare them off, at least not where I'm at. My neighborhood is not real quiet lately. Lol, one night my drunken neighbors spent the night on their side of the fence barking at my dogs. Yip... Grown human men barking at at a Chiweenie dog and a Blue Heeler until 3:am. This may have been a good time to set up the blind and camera, lol lol lol.