Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photo wildlife blinds

I'm considering getting a small "pop-up" blind, in order to shoot birds, etc. Any suggestions?

I'm looking at these:

Ameristep Stealth House Blind - 607485, Ground Blinds at Sportsman's Guide

Guide Gear Deluxe 4-panel Spring Steel Blind - 655862, Ground Blinds at Sportsman's Guide

02-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If possible, see if you can mess with one in person before buying or buy from a place with a good return policy. Those pop up blinds can be a royal pain when you try to get them to fold back down for transport/storage.
02-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not possible to try them out, in this area.
02-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not simply a large camouflage tarp that you can hang up easily on some poles or hooks, with a lens hole cut out to allow you to shoot from inside? Cheaper, easier to store, not much harder to set up, you control the size (of the tarp and the hole) and where the hole is....

02-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Why not simply a large camouflage tarp that you can hang up easily on some poles or hooks, with a lens hole cut out to allow you to shoot from inside? Cheaper, easier to store, not much harder to set up, you control the size (of the tarp and the hole) and where the hole is....
Trying to put together poles to hang a tarp, especially when a breeze comes up, & it starts flapping, would not work.
02-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think one of those tent style blinds could become very hot and uncomfortable in warm weather, as well as view restrictive. I would think a small camo tarp and camo clothing would work pretty well.
02-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not out in the heat of the day, photographing; as I can't take heat well. Nor are the birds as active. This is for early morning & late afternoon usage. The afternoon usage would be in the shade, by the time I'd be photographing. Camo clothing would not help much, as any movement, the birds are gone. A tarp would just be frustrating to me to work with.

02-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've never gotten around to buying one, but I have checked out a couple a friend had for hunting (his hunting, not mine - I'm not a hunter).

Beware "Shoot Through Mesh Windows". These (apparently) don't always unzip and you're supposed to fire your gun right through them. It's not ideal to always be shooting through a mesh (though it does help with mosquitoes). One of my friends blinds had no windows that opened completely to be in plain air.

Also beware shoddy construction on some of the lower priced models - mostly make sure you have a good return policy. In a protected forest one of my friend's blinds didn't stand up to very light winds over its first night out, and ideally you will be able to leave them up for a few days so wildlife has time to get accustomed to them.

That's about all I can offer. Best of luck finding a suitable blind
02-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Brian! The mesh wouldn't be a complete problem, I would assume one could cut a slit in it for the camera lens to go thru.
02-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Any suggestions?
Yes - 800mm of glass...
02-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I don't think you want your lens sticking out of the blind. Ideally you would want to sit back in the shadows and darkness of the blind to mask any movement. Camo isn't necessary but definitely wear dark clothes. Only have one, maybe two windows open to keep it dark and to avoid having your silhouette visible.

Both models you linked have the shoot through windows but they look like they have covers for those windows as well. I'd just cut the mesh and leave windows covered whenever possible. I'd go with the second one you linked as it has more window options.
02-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very good points colonel00! Thanks for the suggestions!
02-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While out there, do not wear perfume or cologne, or any type of strong smells. Birds are sensitive to this type of stuff as are all wild animals. Just my two cents from being out there and noticing such problems.
02-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

And if you are really lucky, you might be the first person to photograph a bigfoot with a real camera instead of a phone and prove they are real.

Sorry. I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube about bigfoot lately.
02-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

See this post.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/55946-300mm-plus-lens-club...ml#post3496543