Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Purchasing Overseas Camera Models From Asia

I live in the U.S. and have purchased lenses and photo accessories from Asian retailers via eBay a number of times in recent years. I've never had a problem. The item has always arrived safely, been exactly what I thought I was ordering and worked perfectly. But I've never ordered an actual camera this way.

I am considering the purchase of something along the lines of a Canon G7X, G9X or Sony RX100 in this way. I'm looking for a very pocketable camera to replace my Fuji XF1 for special occasions when I might want to carry the camera in a suit or sportcoat pocket (maybe even a tuxedo) to a special event. I can find a brand-new G9X or RX100 from Hong Kong or Japan for well under $400 with free expedited shipping.

I realize there would be no U.S. warranty with such a purchase, just as there isn't for any of my lenses that I bought this way. But I am more interested in whether the camera is functionally different from a model intended for the U.S. For example, does the camera record video only in PAL versus NTSC? Anything that might limit the camera's function and usefulness to me?

So I'm asking anyone who has purchased cameras in this way for information or advice. Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited by Biro; 02-21-2016 at 01:09 PM.
02-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The video standard in Japan is the same as the US. It is different in Russia, Europe, South America, etc. Plugs (shape) and chargers (voltage) for the battery are the same in Japan and US.

If the Asian market has a different model name/number than in the US, that can be an advantage (unique) or disadvantage (unfamiliarity) when and if you need to sell it. Are they offering colors and finishes not available in the US market?

My only concern are the rumors and reports of counterfeit Canon gear coming out of China. Considering the G9X is around $429 with free shipping in the US, is it worth buying a new item without a warranty for less than $100 savings? One repair and you've made a bad decision. It's great that you've never had a problem in the past, but all it takes is one incident.
02-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is not the answer to the question you have asked... but ...

You might get cheaper prices for cameras currently in production in the USA as well. Sony RX100 for $398:
Amazon.com : Sony DSC-RX100/B 20.2 MP Exmor CMOS Sensor Digital Camera with 3.6x Zoom : Point And Shoot Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

Google showed me similar prices for G9X as well. Unless you can get those for much less (may be $100 less?), why take all that risk?
02-21-2016, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You might also find that the default language for menus is local tot he country where it was sold. Could be a pain to change to your favourite language.

Had that one time with a wireless router my wife picked up in Taiwan. Interface language was Chinese. The most similar model number with English instructions had slightly different menus making setting up a modem rather fun! I did get it to work. (Could not change the interface language.)