Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What makes someone a photographer?

So over the past 3-4 months, I've gotten in three discussions about what makes someone a photographer. One of those discussions ended in a heated argument. So, what do all of you think qualifies someone as a photographer?

And btw, next month will be two years for me with a camera and I do not consider myself a photographer. I do know, however, what I need to accomplish to call myself a photographer. At least in my eyes.
Thanks and have a great evening.

02-21-2016, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

To me it's a vague word that can mean too many different things. I have a couple of friends that take better shots with a point and shoot than what most 'professionals' could ever take with big dollar gear.

Other people think you have to be a paid wedding photographer.

Others say you have to have a website and some kind of online celebrity status.

I guess it's just too vague of a word with a hundred different variations.

My conclusion is that anyone that would get into a 'heated argument' about something so trivial would be someone I wouldn't want to deal with.

For me the best photographers I've ever seen all have a few things in common... they are observant to and capture the world in a unique way. Most of the time they are artistic and pay attention to details such as how light falls across someone's face and how that will affect the image.

I guess my definition to make the cut between a snapper and a 'photographer' would be that little bit of artistic flair and details that are deliberately looked for or created.
02-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I should elaborate on the argument thing. I was sticking up for someone who was being mocked and insulted by a few stuck up people who thought they were special. So I guess my OP could be a bit misleading as the argument stemmed from something different but ended up being about what makes someone a photographer and what doesn't.
02-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
some one who has a passion for creating photographic images

02-21-2016, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #5

Someone with a camera is a photographer, be it an iPhone or a $$$$$ DSLR.

What makes someone a professional photographer, regardless of gear, is making money at it.

There are all levels of photographers, novice to professional. A novice, with innate talent, can be every bit as good, or much better, than a professional.
02-21-2016, 09:47 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're too busy taking pictures to argue on an Internet forum, you might be a photographer.
02-21-2016, 09:48 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

It's easy. As soon as someone press the shutter button of a camera he is made photographer. You can close the thread.

02-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i'd suggest that anyone who has an enthusiasm for photography and practices it regularly is a photographer.

having a fancy camera and using it once a year i don't think would make you a photographer, it means you capture images on occasion when pictures seem like something to have.

i'd liken it to having a motorcycle.

a motorcyclist is an enthusiast. someone who has a bike and rides it often, is well versed in the mechanics and dynamics of riding, but is by no means a pro, just an enthusiast. a guy with a bike in the garage who pulls it out on the three nice sundays of the year isn't a motorcyclist.

having a camera doesn't make you a photographer, having an enthusiasm for taking pictures and enjoying them makes you one.

money has nothing to do with it.
02-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Owning a camera is a good start, then riding out of my garage once in awhile. But that is not why I have so many cameras in my garage. Knowledge is why.
02-21-2016, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Anyone who has pressed the shutter button!.... Pro/amateur? Who cares....do what you want with your phone or camera,the only rule is...there isn't any!....Pros are capably of poor photos...amateurs are capable of good photos!😁
02-22-2016, 01:36 AM - 2 Likes   #11

Someone who is taking photos is a photographer. The rest is context and assumptions.

It seems that the argument is more about the unspoken context to 'photographer'. Enthusiast? Professional? Working? It's kind of like the noun 'cook'. I'm cooking dinner, at that time, I am a cook. But I am not an enthusiast cook, or a professional cook or a working cook or anything else special - I'm a 'need to eat=need-to-cook=a cook right now' cook. So if it comes up again, I suggest you use a few such analogies to ensure everyone knows they're really just arguing about what 'add-on' term they think belongs with 'photographer' in the absence of anything specified. Honestly, the take-away message for anyone involved is that if one wants clarity in communication, one must avoid assumptions and be precise about the language used.
02-22-2016, 02:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
What makes someone a photographer?
1. Photographer - anyone who uses photo techniques to capture images.

Intent and purpose:

A. Data photographer - a photographer who's primary purpose is to convey objective literal information about something. Forensics and medical photography for instance.

B. Creative photographer - a photographer who's purpose is to have a visual dialogue with an audience in order to convey meaning beyond the literal, mundane and obvious.

C. To human visual perception all images are a hybrid of A and B to some degree - that is between the objective and subjective.

Last edited by wildman; 02-22-2016 at 03:25 AM.
02-22-2016, 04:29 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A photographer is someone who take pictures with a camera.

You can separate levels of interest in photography into tiers, you can separate output into levels, but in the end, they are all photographers. It is a little dangerous to separate out a group of people and say that they aren't photographers because their level of interest or skill doesn't let them into this exclusive club. Everyone starts somewhere, whether or not they grow is up to them.
02-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hard to argue with a dictionary:
a person who takes photographs, either as a hobby or a profession

So based on that definition if you're not taking photos as a hobby or a profession, you're not a photographer.

The finer points of the definition may have more to do with those that "take" photos vs. those that "make" photos.

When did any of us think of ourselves as a photographer? Usually that begins with validation when someone else called you a photographer.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to photograph it, all I can say is you should of heard that thing.
02-22-2016, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #15

cpdancer

The definition of a photographer to me, is anybody who shows anyone the world through his or her eyes using a camera. Could be an expensive camera or cheap phone camera, doesn't matter. You are sharing your vision of how you see things, everyone's perception will be different but yours will be unique because it is your vision, your composition. We also see colors differently, so everyone is creating a new painting when they take that photo.