Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #1

Best Landscape Photographers to follow on Flickr

Hey guys, Can you share some of your favorite photographers who regularly post on Flickr so I can follow them. I'm feeling that there's only so much theory and practice I can do on my own right now so it'd be nice if I can learn from regular examples.

A forum member and/or Pentaxian would be preferable but not necessary. And right now, I can only work on Green and Blue landscapes most of the time (as opposed to Orange) so those whose photos have a lot of Green and Blue colors in them is preferred.

Hope any of you can help the newbie out. ^o^

02-23-2016, 02:01 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to search our forum. There are a few photographers here that post their landscape photos in "Post Your Photos" forum.

Here's one thematic thread started in the mini games/challenges forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/31...n-tribute.html
02-23-2016, 02:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know it's not answering your question but it made me think of this book which I picked up cheaply the other day.
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Colour-National-Geographic-Photographs/dp/1426210302
I prefer a more restrained approach but it's still worth leafing through. The collection is arranged thematically in colours.
02-23-2016, 02:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite landscapers from this forum are Rondec (Vincent) and mattb123 (Matt Burt). You can find their streams on flickr here and here. Both of them post regularly. There are a lot of others which I enjoy but those two are posting pretty constantly.

You can also check "The 15mm Limited controls my mind" club, you will find a lot of nice landscapes there.

Also this: Best Ten Photos of 2015! is a great resource to find some inspiration and people to follow.

02-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hattifnat is too modest to point out he does wonderful landscapes with just a couple of well-chosen lenses.
02-23-2016, 03:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks photolady95. I had actually read through the Grand Canyon thread recently and the photos were excellent but unfortunately it'd be hard for me to try my hand at it as there are no canyons in our area. I also do try to follow the posts in the "Post Your Photos" forum but so far haven't found someone who suits my criteria.

And ah yes, officiousbystander, photo books would be the old-school way of doing this. And I don't mean that as a bad thing. It'd be just as good as Flickr (if not better) for my purpose but it's just that they are hard to come by in my part of the world. Still, I appreciate the tip and other newbies would do too.

Btw, here are some of the photos I'm trying to improve on right now so LPs with similar subjects would be good study. I'm still using the kit lens so there might be some limitations but I'm looking to improving my technique first before moving on to better glass.

02-23-2016, 03:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
My favorite landscapers from this forum are Rondec (Vincent) and mattb123 (Matt Burt). You can find their streams on flickr here and here. Both of them post regularly. There are a lot of others which I enjoy but those two are posting pretty constantly.

You can also check "The 15mm Limited controls my mind" club, you will find a lot of nice landscapes there.

Also this: Best Ten Photos of 2015! is a great resource to find some inspiration and people to follow.
You are very kind.

I would say that your work is excellent, both with the DA 15 and now with the FA 77. I would add that many folks on the forum have their Flickr streams tagged in their signature. Susan (slowpez) also creates excellent images, although I don't know if she is on Flickr or not.

02-23-2016, 03:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Hattifnatt. Vincent and Matt are just who I've been looking for.

And thanks clackers for tipping me off about Hattifnatt. Now if I can only find Hattifnatt's Flickr.

And sorry for not being too familiar with the forum members yet.
02-23-2016, 03:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike Oria (MikeSF on the forum) is right up there too.
02-23-2016, 03:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks Vincent. I've found Susan's Flickr. And I hope you don't mind me stalking both of your streams.

---------- Post added 02-23-16 at 06:57 PM ----------

Thanks as well Sandy. Agreed, Mike's amazing. I guess he was the one I knew from the start since he had been featured on the recent forum homepage articles.
02-23-2016, 04:29 AM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Although only black&white, there are lots of goodies to be found in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/79...yours-131.html

You will see that a lot (most) of the images there are hosted on Flickr.
02-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Mike Oria (MikeSF on the forum) is right up there too.
There are plenty on this forum but to give the requester examples of Mikes works Mike Oria Photography
Another I draw insperation from on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/inter211/

QuoteOriginally posted by trigger.happy Quote
Btw, here are some of the photos I'm trying to improve on right now so LPs with similar subjects would be good study. I'm still using the kit lens so there might be some limitations but I'm looking to improving my technique first before moving on to better glass.
Ok, for a little critique, look at your two examples and ask yourself; Do they lead the eye? Do they look flat or are they taken to give the appearance of having depth/3d like? Is the main subject clearly defined and stand out? Regardless of colorization, if you look at any good landscape they all contain these key elements that helps make them interesting. This isn't just restricted to landscape. As a suggestion, take time to look at what it is you want to photograph. If you find something that catches your eye, look at it from different vantage points , then capture it from different angles so you can decide which You like best.

Many great landscapes are planned months/years in advance and the landscape photographer knows how the light is going be on a subject at a given year, month, day and time by using an ephemeris and will travel to a location to capture them at that time. You can use one for daily shoots to know at what time the lighting is best suited for where you plan to shoot. That's not to say you need to use one but these tools available help.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 02-23-2016 at 06:36 AM.
02-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Fellow forum member @pesterle is well worth checking out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fingolfinphoto/with/25090472606/
02-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you haven't already, you can spend a lot of time on Flickr exploring different groups. One I really like is "On Landscape" which, at one time, seemed loosely affiliated with the British magazine of the same name:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/onlandscape/

Another group that might be of interest specializes in monochrome landscape:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/bwland/

If you're serious about landscape work in your home environs, you might find that B&W conveys tropical scenes more acutely than does color.
02-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not Flickr, but I really enjoy the photos I see in the North American Nature Photographers Facebook group. There is a mix of wild animal photography, landscapes and flora. Lots of lovely images and a very civilized group dynamic (no snarky comments).