Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Online Photography Course Recommendation

I'm wanting to enroll my wife in an online course, and would like some recommendations, if anyone here has any experience to share.

Let's say that she is a beginner, and primarily has been 'point and shoot'.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.,

02-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know this is not exactly mentioning a specific course, but if you go to the video area of the internet and type in what you are interested in, for example "How to use a dslr" or get specific like "How to take a portrait" you will get results that are quite good in most cases. There are also online courses which are basically videos, but if you type in for example "Adorama" on the youtube site or in bing videos (web), they have an abundance of instructional videos that are probably as good or better than elsewhere.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-28-2016 at 07:13 PM.
02-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #3

Complete course in Professional Photography is a pretty comprehensive online course offered by New York Institute of Photography. They will make you do some assignments and submit the prints for critiquing. Further they also have specializations in Wedding, Travel, Photo Journalism etc. The focus of the entire course would be on understanding the triangle of photography (Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO) and how they can be used creatively, composition, lighting etc. Given the fact that she comes from point and shoot this course will give her a good in-depth understanding of the tools and the way to use them creatively. Trust this will be helpful.
02-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have taken a number of courses through the online school set up by Bryan Peterson, author of the book Understanding Exposure (about to come out in 4th edition - highly recommend it). Most of the courses I've taken were very good-excellent.

You can browse offerings at bpsop.com.

There is an 8-week course based on that book. Although I haven't taken that specific course, my experience with the school's other offerings (and the format of the school) lead me to recommend it for your wife. The structure of the courses is as follows:
- Every Friday, you access/download a lesson - sometimes it's a PDF, sometimes its one or more series of videos.
- You have 9 days (until the following Sunday) to complete the assignment - usually it's a submission of 3 images for critique by the instructor.
- Everyone uploads their images for critique and can see each other's work and the teacher's feedback.
- There also is an online discussion forum for students to ask questions of the teacher and each other. There are varying degrees of engagement in the online forum, but at a minimum, a student should be able to get an answer from the teacher within 24-36 hours.

Courses start on the first Friday of every month. Occasionally, there are discounts - so it's good to Google for coupon codes.

I like the school because it allows me to work on my own schedule but with the discipline and incentive of light homework, deadlines and feedback.

It's not cheap (4 week courses are about $169, 8 week courses are likely double that), but I thought they were good value for the money.

02-26-2016, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a free course that runs a month - and usually runs monthly. It is online. It requires no previous knowledge. It is down in Australia.
02-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

While not an online class, I found the book "Read This If You want To Take Great Photographs" by Henry Carroll (ISBN 978-1-78064-335-6) to be an excellent reference for anyone, pro or novice.
02-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have 'experience to share' regarding online courses, but here are some resources I'm aware of:

Photography Tutorials | Lynda.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/VistaClues

02-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lynda.com has an extensive set of videos on photography. I'm not too familiar with any of the beginner courses, but I'm pretty sure they are there. the good thing is that yo can watch as many videos as you want for only $25 a month. However if I was just starting out then I would probably go for the the NYIP(New York Institute of photography) online courses. They have been teaching this course for over 80 yeas and it shows. Instead of having an expert throw information at you at 100 MPH, you can learn at your own pace and the assignments help you retain the information...
02-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #10

New York Institute of Photography (NYIP) has a comprehensive online course both for beginners and professionals. I have taken the course and it is really a very good one.
02-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #11

Another vote for NYIP. I used to learn from Youtube videos and books and jumping from here and there, but to be honest -at least for me- I felt that something was missing. I think having a course structure was what was missing, and NYIP had that.
02-27-2016, 03:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
This is a free course that runs a month - and usually runs monthly. It is online. It requires no previous knowledge. It is down in Australia.
I took this one, and it got me out of point and shoot/jpg mode and fully into DSLR usage. It was what I needed and had me using Lightroom to good effect, too. Great on-line reading references in the class. I loved it.
02-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #13

Today is the last day to sign up for the Coursera, Michigan State University online basic photography course -- https://www.coursera.org/specializations/photography-basics -- If you search for "photography" on the Coursera home page, you can find the links to the individual classes and take them for free.

National Geographic and The Great Courses also offer 4 sets of DVDs with a total of 78 1/2 hour lectures. Somewhat expensive, but all 4 sets were on sale for $119 last year, so keep an eye out.

Fundamentals of Photography
Fundamentals of Photography II
Learn Photography with The Great Courses
The Art of Travel Photography: Six Expert Lessons
02-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmeier Quote
Today is the last day to sign up for the Coursera, Michigan State University online basic photography course -- https://www.coursera.org/specializations/photography-basics -- If you search for "photography" on the Coursera home page, you can find the links to the individual classes and take them for free.

National Geographic and The Great Courses also offer 4 sets of DVDs with a total of 78 1/2 hour lectures. Somewhat expensive, but all 4 sets were on sale for $119 last year, so keep an eye out.

Fundamentals of Photography
Fundamentals of Photography II
Learn Photography with The Great Courses
The Art of Travel Photography: Six Expert Lessons
I'm not able to see free courses or ability to enroll for free. Thanks in advance for clarification!
02-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
I'm not able to see free courses or ability to enroll for free. Thanks in advance for clarification!
Here is the link to the 1st class in the MSU series: https://www.coursera.org/learn/exposure-photography

I guess they have a new session starting March 7. You will need to sign up for Coursera and then enroll in the class. The no-cost enrollment means that you won't get the critique, be able to participate in the capstone, or get the fancy certificate, but you can view all the lectures.