Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting gear for sell

I found a local listing that seemed interesting, but its a 2 hour drive and I'm not sure it would be worth it. Can anyone help me assess the value of these old things or what benefit I might get out of them considering my existing gear? The bellows interests me the most... if it works.

Here is what I already have:

AF-200fg flash
DA 50mm f1.8
DA 35mm f2.4
DA L 18-55mm WR
DA L 50-200mm WR
M 28mm f2.8
M 50mm f1.7
Kalimar Auto Zoom 35-135mm Macro (1:4 Magnification) (Found this manual focus lens at a pawn shop, and it's a gem!)
Quantaray AF LD 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro (1:2 Magnification)
Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 II Macro

Here is the listing:

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

Last edited by Zephos; 02-28-2016 at 07:25 PM.
02-28-2016, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you could dispose of some of the items from that list for much more than $50. Looks like a bargain to me.
02-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

while i think its worth more than the $50 he is asking, nothing would really draw me to buy this lot.
the "Asahi pentax auto-bellows/slide copier" maybe interesting though, especially for studio work i was told bellows can work great
02-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the highlights could be the two 135 and the bellows probably, but, yeah, nothing astonishing apart from those.

02-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the 135's appears to be the SMC Pentax 'K' version - quite a nice lens. I'd say it's better than the listed Sears 135/2.8.

The bellows/slide copier kit is interesting if you'd like to experiment. I see recent units have sold for $50-100 on eBay.

I think that the other lenses might bring only marginal benefit to your existing kit, if any.

- Craig
02-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I might go for it with a mind to sell off the stuff I don't want but only if I get a couple hours to actually meet with the guy. I'll sleep on it.

---------- Post added 02-28-16 at 07:30 PM ----------

One last thing... if its a K 135, it won't work on my K-50 will it? Isn't that the kind that doesn't work with crippled mounts?
02-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Forum Member

Hi,

$10 per lens is a good deal. Everything else is "free" after that.

I have 3 sears 135mm f 2.8 lenses from auctions and everyone of them is broken.
Check the quality of the lenses. If more than 1 or 2 of them (esp the Pentax 135) is non functioning, the package is not as worth it (by my reckoning).

Best,

02-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zephos,

Is the seller located two hours away? So that would be a five-hour road trip?

I still kick myself for not driving three hours several years ago. Similar situation - online ad on 'Kijiji,' seller was asking $150 (Canadian) for - are you ready? - four lenses in the SMC 'K' series: 200/2.5; 55/2; 50/1.4 and 28/2 (yes, 2.0). So, I diddled about for a few hours after I saw the ad, wasn't sure I wanted to do a 6-7 hour day trip, wasn't sure I could use the lenses, etc. Of course, when I contacted the seller the following day, guess what? Yup, lenses have been sold (surprise, surprise). Geez, I'm still disappointed. Lesson learned: move fast to get the great deal.

Not sure you're in the same situation here, but thought folks might be amused by my story.

Craig
02-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Zephos,

Is the seller located two hours away? So that would be a five-hour road trip?

I still kick myself for not driving three hours several years ago. Similar situation - online ad on 'Kijiji,' seller was asking $150 (Canadian) for - are you ready? - four lenses in the SMC 'K' series: 200/2.5; 55/2; 50/1.4 and 28/2 (yes, 2.0). So, I diddled about for a few hours after I saw the ad, wasn't sure I wanted to do a 6-7 hour day trip, wasn't sure I could use the lenses, etc. Of course, when I contacted the seller the following day, guess what? Yup, lenses have been sold (surprise, surprise). Geez, I'm still disappointed. Lesson learned: move fast to get the great deal.

Not sure you're in the same situation here, but thought folks might be amused by my story.

Craig
Good story! Hmm... I decided today that I won't go, however. I realized that although I love the K mount reverse compatibility, which is one of the reasons I got into Pentax, and I have had some fun with some old manual lenses, I am looking to the future as a photographer. I am just beginning, and I'd rather put money into modern equipment down the road than old stuff. I haven't even begun my career yet so I have plenty of time to work my way into some nice glass.
03-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Hmm... I decided today that I won't go
Makes sense. Although the asking price and cost of driving to the seller are relatively low, the money paid could mean less funds for your future purchase of a modern lens or two. Over the past several years, I've been fortunate to have found a number of excellent older lenses at really good prices (e.g., K 50/1.2, K30/2.8, SMC Takumar 85/1.8), but now I'm reducing my lens 'collection' and resisting chasing down used lenses. Of course, if I come across a really great vintage lens at a steal, who knows...

- Craig