Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #76
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
When you post a "like" on this forum you can also leave a comment,but as far as I can tell these comments are only visible to the parties involved not everyone else.
I can see yours (see screenshot attached) but the problem is that you can only see the last seven - on your own likes and others.

Attached Images

03-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I can see yours (see screenshot attached) but the problem is that you can only see the last seven - on your own likes and others.
Thanks Bert,I hadn't tried that,me being dense(again!)
03-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The subject on a photo can make a huge difference in its popularity. Humans tend to be very interested in humans. Pictures of people, not famous, not beautiful, not carefully posed and perfectly lit in a studio, not necessarily doing anything extraordinary, just people out for a walk, window shopping, on the beach, sitting on a bench seem to draw more interest immediately than, for example a landscape or flower photo, even a really good one. We are deeply anthropocentric, to the extent that we look for and see, and are amazed and pleased by something face-like in a landscape, which instantly makes it worth pointing out to others, while some wonderful but not human-looking geologic feature is hardly worth a second look. And of course, I'm not saying that taking pictures of people is easy, especially getting good ones, but a mediocre image of a person will commonly illicit more lingering inspection than a very good landscape.
03-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The reason I don't post pictures of people online is FB facial recognition and tagging. It's easy with cats since they don't care about privacy, and they are cute

03-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I also think its so discouraging to people who are starting out. I left the group because I just thought it was so dismissive.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, very interesting. I can definitely see it as discouraging, and like you I do try to throw out encouragement to anyone who looks like they're being passed over, especially if they're just starting out. I'm sticking with this group as many of my friends (real life friends) are in it, as are many others that I would call acquaintances.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
There is another factor though which explains like disparity - the size of the "social circle". So in other words, on many social media if you post something, the something gets pushed out and shown to your "social circle". So if you have 1000 friends it's more likely that 50 will like it than if you have 50 friends. 5% is easier than 100%. Same with Flickr and FB I think. Ie in Flickr if you post a pic and have 5000 following you then it's perfectly normal to get 50 faves.... because with any large following there's bound to be a few people that like any obscure pic x/y/z. Doesn't mean it's better at all.
Facebook guru's please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this is the case when something is posted to a facebook group. Unless someone posts it to the group and then shares it elsewhere (their own timeline for example), it's only shown in the feed of other group members (or anyone who visits the group if it's public). Groups also show the 'shares' so you can more or less filter out if they are being shown to the same sized audience.

What you say is certainly true for systems where the number of people exposed to the photo depends on the number of 'friends' you have.

I'm finding the growing 'social circles' to be somewhat overwhelming. I went many years on flickr following only my real life friends. I've gradually added more and more (many from these forums) and it's gotten to the point where I can hardly be bothered to do anything with it. I think I'm only following ~70 people, but it's enough to generate a huge wall of photos that I wish I had time to peruse, take in, and comment on all of the ones I'm drawn to, but I just don't and as a result end up not even bothering to take in even little chunks of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I liked your post for this...
Thank you fro the accompanying comment
03-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Facebook guru's please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this is the case when something is posted to a facebook group. Unless someone posts it to the group and then shares it elsewhere (their own timeline for example), it's only shown in the feed of other group members (or anyone who visits the group if it's public). Groups also show the 'shares' so you can more or less filter out if they are being shown to the same sized audience.
For groups, you can choose to follow or unfollow, which means it will or won't show up in a person's news feed. You can also put it as a favorite or not, which is easy access, if you are in a lot of groups, and you choose "unfollow", people won't see any posts until they visit the group page. You can also get notifications anytime someone makes a new post to the group. You can also set up if the group shows up in your news feed first or towards the bottom (after any friends who would will like to see more posts)

On the group page, I believe the posts go by recent activity. So if you make a post, then someone else makes a post after you, second post goes on top and everyone sees it. Then say 10 people like it and 2 people comment and 16 people like yours, the one with more comments will stay at the top. So therefore more people will see it without scrolling.