Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I think the O.P. was asking about the questionable use of Facebook (he used the term ethics) as a way to determine a contest winner.

In response to that, I would say once you use that method, you no longer have a photo contest - you have a popularity contest, pure and simple. There is no efficacy or rationale when there are no rules or guidelines or objectives to the judging. Both winning or losing are meaningless.
Except it probably makes people pretty happy when they win.
Just because it's completely false doesn't mean you shouldn't have a beer and savour the moment.

03-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I think the O.P. was asking about the questionable use of Facebook (he used the term ethics) as a way to determine a contest winner.

In response to that, I would say once you use that method, you no longer have a photo contest - you have a popularity contest, pure and simple. There is no efficacy or rationale when there are no rules or guidelines or objectives to the judging. Both winning or losing are meaningless.

I think all the types of contests have their place.

The Facebook or American Idol style are popularity contests, and to win you'd have to pitch to the mainstream - be crowd pleasing. Steven Soderbergh made the Oceans Eleven series to fund his art projects.

There are art-style competitions where there is a panel of expert judges, like the Golden Globes. You'd have to second guess their biases/philosophies anyway and pitch to them - that's a challenge in itself, and there may be a lot of politics involved.

Somewhere in between are the peer prizes, like the Oscars or the Most Valuable Player award in Australian Rules Football. Again, there would be politicking and personality differences involved.
03-01-2016, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Except it probably makes people pretty happy when they win. Just because it's completely false doesn't mean you shouldn't have a beer and savour the moment.
If you have the time for a [good] beer, you've already won
03-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
As a non-facebook user I am feeling considerably lonely in the first photo competition I have entered in.
As a fb user you can feel even more lonely than non-fb user
I actually can't stand when someone there asks to vote for "me (my kid, my pet, etc.)" It's not a competition, it's likes race. Pointless.
Just do it either for fun, or don't do it if you are serious about competitions.
For me likes here mean much more than likes on fb.

03-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Having been in juried competitions, I have to say they aren't much better. With a couple of the CBC competitions I've several times had serious issues with the judges decisions. SO, I'm not sure what's better. Just because they fancy themselves to be some kind of experts and the CBC does, doesn't mean they know jack. Not to say the FB competitions are good. The only real competition I care about is when I sit out in my little booth at the craft fair and some guy decides my picture is really good and gives me $300 for it. That's the kind of competition I like to win. The rest is pretty meaningless.

And if I keep getting those guys, I don't care how many CBC judges don't give me the nod.

and uh Rupert, I've gotten to the point where I just automatically skip over anything that has an Otis award in it, and I'm sure lot's of others are as well. It might be a more effective kind of thing if you scaled it back a bit.
03-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Of course, I don't have a single one, but I'm workin' on it!
Don't worry, I've only got four
03-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The only real competition I care about is when I sit out in my little booth at the craft fair and some guy decides my picture is really good and gives me $300 for it. That's the kind of competition I like to win. The rest is pretty meaningless.
True!

03-02-2016, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Sometimes when we are out and about on mobile systems, comments are difficult and a "like" is all we can give.
03-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Sometimes when we are out and about on mobile systems, comments are difficult and a "like" is all we can give.
Or on a desktop when one hand is holding a sandwich. With one hand I can click the 'like' button, but typing is a pain. Putting down the sandwich is not an option, sorry, and I'm still working on a hands free feedbag that lets me eat a sandwich elegantly.

I was able to fit this post in after my main lunch, just before cookie time.
03-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Or on a desktop when one hand is holding a sandwich. With one hand I can click the 'like' button, but typing is a pain. Putting down the sandwich is not an option, sorry, and I'm still working on a hands free feedbag that lets me eat a sandwich elegantly.
Glad I'm not alone!
03-02-2016, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

and uh Rupert, I've gotten to the point where I just automatically skip over anything that has an Otis award in it, and I'm sure lot's of others are as well. It might be a more effective kind of thing if you scaled it back a bit.
Sometime in 2016 when Otis calls for those with Awards to present them, you might not be so happy with your arrogance in your viewing Norm. Otis doesn't award cheap junk...and someone is going to be a very happy recipient. Of course, if you are already rich like Otis it won't matter much to you, but most everyone loves free stuff.

Doesn't look like you will ever receive that Citizen Squirrel Award, but I see a couple of others you might be eligible for!

Regards!
03-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sometime in 2016 when Otis calls for those with Awards to present them, you might not be so happy with your arrogance in your viewing Norm. Otis doesn't award cheap junk...and someone is going to be a very happy recipient. Of course, if you are already rich like Otis it won't matter much to you, but most everyone loves free stuff.

Doesn't look like you will ever receive that Citizen Squirrel Award, but I see a couple of others you might be eligible for!

Regards!
Otis was funny at first, but the joke is old now...
03-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"LIKES" and the likes of it = popularity contests. This will get me onto pet peeve, high horse, whatever you wish to call it. During one period while teachering the administration decided that teaching evaluations by students were an accurate gauge of faculty ability, competence and effectiveness, and could be used for such things as determining promotion, tenure, and salary raises. Trying to convince them it was a popularity contest, that students would rate faculty highest who made getting an "A" the easiest (an invitation to purchase good student evaluations) or faculty who made the class "fun" was utterly futile. They asserted absolute faith in students making evaluations based on the "quality" of the teaching. But my function was to get students to learn, something they must do by their own substantial effort with me providing guidance, a pace or rhythm, an appropriate quantity and depth of knowledge to be mastered, assistance with difficult topics, etc. It certainly was not my purpose to be entertaining (although I tried), or to make it easy to get a high grade, or to assure they learned everything during the time they were in class so that no outside work was required. Within my department the instructor who consistently got the highest ratings was a part-timer who mostly taught in the evening. No surprise to the rest of us, it eventually turned out he accepted pretty much any excuse for absence, for as many classes as a student wanted, and never ever gave a grade below B+.
03-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
As a fb user you can feel even more lonely than non-fb user
I actually can't stand when someone there asks to vote for "me (my kid, my pet, etc.)" It's not a competition, it's likes race. Pointless.
Just do it either for fun, or don't do it if you are serious about competitions.
For me likes here mean much more than likes on fb.
Those annoy me. There was a local website that would print popular photos for each month in a calendar. Then this one photographer started posting "hey go to this website and vote for me and I get a pic in a calendar" Then she got her friend to post on a facebook page for her, which of course opened it to a couple thousand people to see. It's all who you know....I personally think her photo was pretty dang boring. She was a 'professional' already, so I could not understand the need for her to need that many "votes"...if she was that good, and she liked what she did, she should make her OWN calendar. She didn't get enough votes to be in calendar.
03-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend did well in several judged photo salons with a delightful chrome of kittens, then the imaged flopped. He heard a judge mutter: "I hate cats."