Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2016, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ethics of 'likes' in an online photo competition

As a non-facebook user I am feeling considerably lonely in the first photo competition I have entered in. I have entered two photos in a 'wetlands' photo competition under the categories 'wetland flora' and 'wetland fauna'.

Of course I am not a gen Y with a plethora of enthusiastic likers in my friend list nor am I a naughties teenager with a million school friends addicted to liking. So I guess I am doomed to not even remotely coming close to taking out the 'public choice award'. So, what are the ethics in 'liking' - I am intrigued by this 'recent' phenomenon that drives our online habits.

Please share your thoughts.

EDIT:

When I entered the contest I was unaware that it would be hosted on Facebook. I should have read the fine print !

Last edited by Wild Mark; 03-01-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added content
03-01-2016, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Likes are a Facebook phenomenon and that was petty much all you could do on FB for a long time. Of course, with the success of FB, Likes are everywhere now, including PF.

Nevertheless, the FB Like comes from Facemash's hot or not function to "like" hot college girls and that was pretty much the reason to exist for Facemash. Facemash is what Zuckerberg did initially create and what eventually became FB.

So, everybody who "likes" anything on the internet essentially still plays that pubertal game of adolescents still feeling unsecure about themselves.

But that's ok, that's how humans are ...

Personally, I use "Likes" as a comparative measure to see which of my photographies attract more viewers, and to learn from that (not on FB or PF, but elsewhere). A Like has no emotional value for me. However, actual comments for photos are a different matter, a kind of feedback I actually do welcome.
03-01-2016, 04:10 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with Falconeye, the comments mean 100 times more than the likes.
I actually dislike competitions judged by likes intensely, I won't enter them.

- They seem more like marketing exercises
- Because it leads to pathetic posts 'please vote for me'
- Really just a popularity contest
- If it were food a big mac would win every food competition
03-01-2016, 04:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. "Likes" mean nothing. They're from people just passing through and they're given without any thought. Getting one doesn't necessarily mean you're picture is actually likable and not getting one doesn't mean your picture stinks. Could very well be your picture was hundredth in line and the viewers got bored after looking at 90 pictures. And just the fact that someone can "like" one or one thousand pictures removes all importance of the "like". Just whatever you do, don't use Facebook as a platform for validation. It's turned into nothing more than a place for people to waste the day away sharing posts and clicking on the like button.

03-01-2016, 04:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It seems we live in a world of positive affirmation, perhaps to redress the psychological deprivation of the masses. Why can't I 'hate' (perhaps a strong word) or maybe 'dislike' something. Surely such opinion equally matters.

I dislike the idea of likes too. It is akin to every kid getting a medal for participating in something rather than the medal being limited to the one who actually performs. A race to the bottom - mediocrity rules!

---------- Post added 03-01-16 at 10:42 PM ----------

Oh, my wife has just informed me there are 'new' additions to FB 'likes' buttons as of the last few weeks.

These are: I like, I love, ha ha, wow, sad, angry.
03-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
everybody who "likes" anything on the internet essentially still plays that pubertal game of adolescents still feeling unsecure about themselves.
And as grown adults, hopefully a vast majority of us has shed our need for such things.
03-01-2016, 04:58 AM   #7

I would also say that likes are jut usual thing, even I would have liked simply scrolling the app. But comments re different, it just means that the picture had influenced or made him to comment.
03-01-2016, 04:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, if you stop and think about just how many photos there are online in general, you can understand just how bored people are with looking at photos. I researched this a bit last year and read something like every three seconds there are a thousand photos uploaded to the internet. So while your photo might be phenomenal on it's own, compared to the other hundreds of thousands of similar pictures, it just gets lost in the crowd. How many pictures of birds or flowers or landscapes can people actually look at before they just all look the same?

03-01-2016, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The only caveat I have about comments sadly are those that look to me might be a bot or autogenerated. For example, I post on Flickr, and some people make a comment which doesn't actually mean anything or even relate to the photo, like "wow, great tone and color". That's so generic and non specific it could apply to any photo I took ever. I'm a bit suspicious of that sort of comment - they're on the increase from a few years ago. Especially from people who follow 55 billion others just to get themselves followed, or who comment on 55 billion others for the same reason.
03-01-2016, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
amp

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
As a non-facebook user I am feeling considerably lonely in the first photo competition I have entered in. I have entered two photos in a 'wetlands' photo competition under the categories 'wetland flora' and 'wetland fauna'.

Of course I am not a gen Y with a plethora of enthusiastic likers in my friend list nor am I a naughties teenager with a million school friends addicted to liking. So I guess I am doomed to not even remotely coming close to taking out the 'public choice award'. So, what are the ethics in 'liking' - I am intrigued by this 'recent' phenomenon that drives our online habits.

Please share your thoughts and your likes

I wish I could like your post, but I'm not registered on any social media site. Your trophy will be arriving shortly.

Last edited by Tom S.; 03-01-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Quoted links deom original post removed.
03-01-2016, 06:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The ethics are acceptable. This contest is not about judging based on criteria of the photos. It is not ethics based. It is a contest on social media about being social. The ethics is about if you validate your photo expertise on winning.
A social network site contest is won by gaining social contacts.
03-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Please share your thoughts and your likes
You've entered a teenage popularity contest, not a photo contest. In bookface, the most mediocre images will be the winners due to the popularity of the person who posted it, how many "friends" they have, and how much they spam the links to everyone else. I'd say by losing, you'd be the winner here.
03-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

So, what are the ethics in 'liking' - I am intrigued by this 'recent' phenomenon that drives our online habits.
There are none. If you want likes, you need to use strategies to get them. You need to Add a lot of "friends" (not really friends, but people that you want to sell your product to, people who you want to get support from), you need to advertise your link on various platforms (FB, twitter, instagram, blogs, forums).
But this is not just facebook. I sometimes post a photo on these forums in the critique or post photo forums and I usually get 0 replies, 0 feedback. So its not just "millennials on them social medias." Its always about networking; photo quality comes second
03-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its always about networking; photo quality comes second
Exactly why I don't post pictures anymore. Some of the worse pictures I've seen have the most likes. The photographer also has the most "friends". Flickr is bad for that. I've gotten "likes" on my Flickr page on snapshots I took. But a popular person liked it so I got ten additional likes for it.
03-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This goes all the way to YouTube; which I actually prefer their system... At least you have an option to DIS-like something!
If two pictures are in a contest, 1st place has 1,000 likes; 2nd place has 980 likes... But 1st place had 10,000 views and 2nd place had 1,000 views... Take it one step further, 1st place had 5,000 dislikes, and 2nd place had 15 dislikes...

Who should win?
In most social media applications there is no dislike option so that 1,000 like picture would win.

This is all assuming you agree with the "like"-system in the first place.

If I post a picture, I'd rather have a critique from my fellow photographer community rather than a series of likes and dislikes. WHAT do you like or dislike; that's more important to me.