Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2016, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is an awesome story. Regardless of brand, to be willing and able to take a camera apart on the fly like that shows true skill and nerve, to say nothing of being able to diagnose the problem with nothing more than a multimeter!

03-05-2016, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sunrise at Haleakala...bring a jacket...or four.
03-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
That is an awesome story. Regardless of brand, to be willing and able to take a camera apart on the fly like that shows true skill and nerve, to say nothing of being able to diagnose the problem with nothing more than a multimeter!
I regret that I didn't have the presence of mind to shoot his disassembled camera with all those screws, levers, gears, etc, laid out on the light table. All I could think of was him putting it back together and having 3 parts leftover and scratching his head.....but I was wrong. Really humbling.

---------- Post added 03-05-16 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Sunrise at Haleakala...bring a jacket...or four.
Psychologically, the sunrise is awesome because you drive to the summit in darkness and cold and to see the world revealed again is quite spiritual. But I don't like getting up at 3:00 am and wiping out my day.

Personally, I'd recommend spending the day driving up Haleakala, lots of turn outs and amazing views, and then to view the sunset. Significantly warmer and by the time you're down the mountain, you're ready for a great dinner and drink in Paia or Makawao.
03-05-2016, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by allexinwonderland Quote
I think the whole kit weighs more than I do Mike!
ha, you may be right.

Here are a few of my Maui pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeoria/albums/72157631727123242

03-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #20
Forum Member

Here's my two cents worth
Keep the 18-135 on the K-30 at all times - then you will have no fogging issues. It can be your walk around body/lens.
Keep the Polarizer handy, as it's essential for landscapes in the tropics
Tripod = YES, especially with your variable density ND filter - which you can use Midday on the beach for those wispy waves ...
As for the K-3, you can alternate with the 10-20, and 55-300, and the 35 f2.4. The 35 is your low light lens. I'd leave the 50 behind, unless you are doing portraits. But bearing that in mind, if your taking the family to Hawaii, you may want portraits to incorporate the landscape to show where you were, so Shallow Depth of Field may not be a factor for you, so the wider 35mm lens could possibly work better.
Haleakala is a must if you are going to Maui. But it's chilly up the top, and if you go for a dawn shot, then dress in layers (cold at the top and hot at the bottom).
The lenses and cameras will fog up on the way up the mountain, so keep some desiccant crystals in your camera bag or you will loose shooting time waiting for them to dry.
Also - check out the pics of other's dawn shots from there online. That will give you an idea of the focal lengths you will likely use, and choose the ones that work for you. You could have it mounted and ready to go.
03-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttles12000 Quote
Keep the 18-135 on the K-30 at all times - then you will have no fogging issues.
The lenses and cameras will fog up on the way up the mountain, so keep some desiccant crystals in your camera bag or you will loose shooting time waiting for them to dry.
Excellent advice, but note that even with WR, fogging will still occur on the way down the mountain (not up) with cold dry lenses hitting the warmer humid lower sea level air.

It may take a few hours or the entire day to defog. That's why I suggested shooting the sunset instead of the sunrise. It will give the lens overnight to dry out instead of losing precious daylight hours.
03-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I love Hawaii, I go there at least every couple years and Maui is a great island. If it were me:

50 1.8
35 2.4
HD 55-300
18-135
Sigma 10-20

You have two great plastic primes, the 18-135 walk around, the 55-300 for longer reach, I assume you will do whale watching since it is this time of the year so that would be great, and the wide angle for when you go to Hana or Haleakala, for sure.

03-05-2016, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I love Hawaii, I go there at least every couple years and Maui is a great island. If it were me:

50 1.8
35 2.4
HD 55-300
18-135
Sigma 10-20

You have two great plastic primes, the 18-135 walk around, the 55-300 for longer reach, I assume you will do whale watching since it is this time of the year so that would be great, and the wide angle for when you go to Hana or Haleakala, for sure.
I'll for the most part second what Jim said. The 18-135 could very well be invaluable due to its WR characteristics...don't leave it behind. I might opt to leave the 10-20 home and instead bring a 15 Limited instead if one is available.
Daryl
Edit: pic's from a Maui vacation to get you ready :-) : //https://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Hawaii/

Last edited by darylk; 03-05-2016 at 06:36 PM.
03-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much tolerance for picture tracking time does the family have?
03-06-2016, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
How much tolerance for picture tracking time does the family have?

They are okay as long as there's not too much time setting up. Typical kids under ten tolerance.
03-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by allexinwonderland Quote
Planning a trip to Maui and starting to think about packing and which lenses to take. And whether or not I should rent one.
50 1.8
35 2.4
HD 55-300
18-135
Sigma 10-20
18-55
50-200
I've got a circular polarizing filter and a
2-10 stop variable ND filter which I haven't practiced with much.
Tripod?
K30 and/or K3
Will my gear fog up like it does in Florida?
We were in Oahu & Maui last December from the Bay Area California. Here are the lens selections for my sole K-5: a) Sigma 10-20 35% of the time, b) Pentax 18-135 55% & c) Pentax 55-300 10%. The last two lenses are WR and they help. I carried some large zip loc bags, so the camera went into them to avoid fogging. I ensured all the lenses had Hoya Pro UV Filters and their lens hoods. I also carried a lot of Silica Gel (large crystals), and would use the Microwave Oven in our home-stay accommodation to regenerate them. And I always carry a lens pen, micro fiber cloth + a Rocket Blower. Fog is dangerous not only to glass but electronic circuit as well.
Lastly, the camera gets a thorough wet + dry cleaning routine once we get back home. Remember dust, grime, finger grease and general gunk get on the lens rubber + camera finger / thumb rubberised areas, the shutter button & the 4-way controller - best removed with a clean tooth brush & dish detergent + a second run with plain water - very sparingly wetted.
Regards.
03-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last post also reminded me that I highly recommend using mosquito repellent made with Picaridin and NOT DEET. If you have Deet residue on your hands and then you touch many plastic types of plastic or synthetic compounds like polycarbon, it begins to destroy the plastic at a molecular level leaving a sticky surface that is extremely difficult to fix. Picaridin doesn't have this effect.

Near the airport in Kahului, Maui, you can find Costco, Walmart, CVS Longs, etc, in case you forgot to pack it. Although usually labeled "Deet-Free", beware that there are other Citronella type Deet alternatives which are less effective for skeeters.
03-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The last post also reminded me that I highly recommend using mosquito repellent made with Picaridin and NOT DEET. If you have Deet residue on your hands and then you touch many plastic types of plastic or synthetic compounds like polycarbon, it begins to destroy the plastic at a molecular level leaving a sticky surface that is extremely difficult to fix. Picaridin doesn't have this effect.

Near the airport in Kahului, Maui, you can find Costco, Walmart, CVS Longs, etc, in case you forgot to pack it. Although usually labeled "Deet-Free", beware that there are other Citronella type Deet alternatives which are less effective for skeeters.

Thank you!!! I am horrifically sensitive to insect bites and will itch like crazy if I am bitten. I hadn't even thought about spray so this is a great tip.