Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But the corners are soft...
03-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But the corners are soft...
It is a special effect lens with apodization element(APD), optimized for portraits. If you really want a crazy sharp corner, Zeiss 135F2, 100 F2 or Voigtlander 125 F2.5 will meet the demand!
03-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple threads about this lens, including image samples and discussion. Basically, some people are interested in apodization lenses, but the price seems fairly steep for a lens that is completely dead K-mount (its not like Samyang, which has A on aperture ring). At this price, something like Samyang 135mm might make more sense. But hey, that company is making some interesting lenses, which will also be available for Pentax cameras, so I wish it all the best. If I win the lottery, I'll buy a couple.

03-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Basically, some people are interested in apodization lenses, but the price seems fairly steep for a lens that is completely dead K-mount (its not like Samyang, which has A on aperture ring).
And it's not like it's all that complicated to add the A contacts. There are no electronics in a KA mount, just the contacts...if you are going to make a fully manual lens, at least make it a pre-set.
03-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And it's not like it's all that complicated to add the A contacts. There are no electronics in a KA mount, just the contacts...if you are going to make a fully manual lens, at least make it a pre-set.
Agreed, it's too bad the lever action is different between K and KA, otherwise I'd add KA "contacts" to all my old lenses.
03-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh, definitely. I would like to see A on Mitakon and these Laowa lenses. It would make them much more competitive. I really like that my Samyang has A. Its great, and its a Pentax advantage over the other brands.

03-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, definitely. I would like to see A on Mitakon and these Laowa lenses. It would make them much more competitive. I really like that my Samyang has A. Its great, and its a Pentax advantage over the other brands.
So who's willing to mod a Mitakon or Laowa lens with the appropriate A dimples, to see if their aperture mechanisms are linear like a K or area-based like KA? (or vice-versa, I'm too tired to remember which is which or look it up).
03-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think the Mitakon lenses actually are preset, right? But seriously, maybe the forum should write to those companies, send them plans for KA specifications..
03-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
So who's willing to mod a Mitakon or Laowa lens with the appropriate A dimples, to see if their aperture mechanisms are linear like a K or area-based like KA? (or vice-versa, I'm too tired to remember which is which or look it up).
If you want to send me one, I have my K5 set up to treat all manual lenses as A lenses (little bit of foil inside the mount ring over the A pin). A couple of pieces of tape to tell the camera what aperture range it has, and it's a pretty easy test from there.

I can tell you that my Porst 55/1.2 definitely is like K, not KA, but it was worth the bad metadata and occasional bad exposures to get the other benefits... but not enough so for me to consider adding foil to the k3.
03-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
What aperture mechanism? It's fully manual, no auto aperture. When you stop down the viewfinder gets darker.
03-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the Mitakon lenses actually are preset, right? But seriously, maybe the forum should write to those companies, send them plans for KA specifications..
They aren't even as advanced as preset. When you turn the aperture ring the viewfinder gets darker.
03-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What aperture mechanism? It's fully manual, no auto aperture. When you stop down the viewfinder gets darker.
Ah, so not actually K-mount, more like M42 with a K adapter ring.
03-11-2016, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Guess not. Here's the back of the new lens.
Attached Images

03-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can we dub this the "K--" mount ("kay minus minus"), since it lacks both aperture and aperture simulator arms? (Also, "F--" is what you'll see in the VF, and it's a joke that only computer geeks will get.)