Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Are there people really stupid enough to buy from some sellers on Ebay?

Was looking for a 70mm limited on ebay. I saw several listed new for over $500 and one over $688.
Are there really people that stupid that they would pay way over retail for photographic equipment?

03-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since they have been listing like that for as long as I can remember, I guess so.

Used to be a seller that listed everything as 'minty' prices were about 3 times the going rate. But he apparently sold stuff.
03-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
a5m
Veteran Member

They might be catering to international buyers. But I wonder the same thing when I see such high prices.
03-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Posting listings is free on Ebay, so it doesn't hurt to try. I suppose sometimes it might actually work, but if you count on being able to actually sell the thing, it wouldn't be a smart move.

03-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for big sellers, it costs them nothing to post several ads for the same item @ slightly different price points with slightly different descriptions on the off-chance that "someone" will occasionally make a purchase. And if there are no nibbles, they can always "move" an item. But I believe that in most of these cases they don't even have the product on hand at all -- if needed they can purchase the item at discount and mark it up. Who knows? SMH

M
03-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's always baffled me, but so has the fact that an old lens alone may cost $50, but if you buy it attached to a camera you may get it for $25 with a camera attached as a rear lens cap.
03-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Some people may also lots of eBay Bucks and gift cards to redeem that aren't transferable as cash.

03-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I look for something on eBay I do see unrealistically high priced items but comparisons show up too. So I've also wondered if a person who has priced their item twice as high as several others anyone can see actually expects to sell it.
03-14-2016, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
When I look for something on eBay I do see unrealistically high priced items but comparisons show up too. So I've also wondered if a person who has priced their item twice as high as several others anyone can see actually expects to sell it.
It's a good ploy when one's Significant Smother insists that you sell some equipment... post it on Ebay at an inflated price and let it safely languish, and you have proof that you are indeed trying to sell it.
03-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm always amazed by the sellers who are selling an inexpensive item (e.g. $40) and grossly overcharge (e.g. $60) for shipping!
03-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Was looking for a 70mm limited on ebay. I saw several listed new for over $500 and one over $688.
Are there really people that stupid that they would pay way over retail for photographic equipment?
The Price in Europe for a 70mm is $641 US dollars at SRS Microsystems online store. They pay twice or more what we pay in the United States. Seems everything is overpriced in Europe. Sucks to be them.....

It's so bad over there that when my brother comes to visit me in Iowa from London, he brings an empty suitcase and fills if full of new clothes. He'd move back here but unfortunately his wife won't leave
03-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

They may not have the item in question. Sometimes they will set the price way up to a price that no one will pay because it's out of stock and they don't want to deactivate the listing.
03-14-2016, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
The Price in Europe for a 70mm is $641 US dollars at SRS Microsystems online store. They pay twice or more what we pay in the United States. Seems everything is overpriced in Europe. Sucks to be them.....
(
Yes, when I lived in Europe for 4 years, the price of everything was higher but my income was proportionately higher than in the US. I started teaching adjunct at Art Center(Europe) College of Design and my beginning salary was triple what Art Center paid at that time to Adjunct Professors at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena.

In the US, at the time, to make ends meet, both my wife and I would've had to work and struggle, and the idea of raising a child was not affordable. In Europe I was able to support my wife while she was a stay at home mother and sculptor. Those early years for the kids were precious.

Lots of unions, taxes, high minimum wage, tons of vacation time, etc, all of which drives up the price of everything, but the quality of life and the income to support the local economy. We weren't rich, but with things like universal health care, we had what we needed with public transportation, great food, culture, and a real joie de vivre.

But I'm a US citizen, and even if you're legally in the country, you're an alien and even the best of hosts tire of their guests when you begin to strive for more success than a native.
03-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
Forum Member

My theory on whacky high pricing is to catch the sort of people that think everything on Ebay is cheaper than other online retailers or B&M stores.

Sure alot of the cheap Chinese stuff like phone cases, screen protectors etc appear to cost peanuts compared to B&M and other online stores. But thats about as far as it goes in my experience when buying new stuff
03-15-2016, 05:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I just had a good experience selling on eBay (First time ever). Just sold 4 X K1000 that were headed to the Land Fill. Auction price $50 -$65 USD all went with one bidder each time; took about a month as well I had A Tamron AF 28-200 $65 surplus to my needs that went. Had them running on Market place fixed price at the same time. Got 3 tire kickers in the month thats all. eBay fees about $50 CND total. I charged $20-$25 shipping for all approx. my cost.
The buyers all seemed to be Users rather than re-sellers.