Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,910
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
You don't seem to understand that a camera system needs to cater for more than one small demographic, and that the more they cater for (all else being equal) the more they will sell and the better they'll do. It's a simple concept but apparently anyone who states it is being...what? Cantankerous? Defining what everyone should use? And yet the system is perfect for you and therefore should be perfect for everyone else..
Everyone understands that. The Pentax APS line-up is among the most complete on the planet. 21mm is close enough to 23mm to make no practical difference. Anyone can take a random lens from any line-up and point out some other that don't supply it. Where's the other manufacturers 43 and 77 millimeter lenses?

02-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #167
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,495
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
21mm is close enough to 23mm to make no practical difference.
You're making me confused. Has any one argued that Pentax really needs to close that gap at 23mm? I must have missed it, or you are making up a straw man. Pentax is doing well covering focal lengths but other features as missing. I'd argue that speed and weather sealing is the main thing. Since they are missing in FF as well you can't make up for it with FF lenses except for tele* lenses such as the 50 and 85 star lenses.

*50 being a tele on apsc
02-13-2021, 12:13 AM   #168
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,455
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
You're making me confused. Has any one argued that Pentax really needs to close that gap at 23mm? I must have missed it, or you are making up a straw man. Pentax is doing well covering focal lengths but other features as missing. I'd argue that speed and weather sealing is the main thing. Since they are missing in FF as well you can't make up for it with FF lenses except for tele* lenses such as the 50 and 85 star lenses.

*50 being a tele on apsc
I believe it was Johnathan Mac who mentioned that 23mm is a "key" focal length, aka the person he's quoting.

QuoteQuote:
...
What are the gaps?
...
Fast and modern primes at key focal lengths: 18mm, 23mm, 35mm, 55mm.
02-13-2021, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,238
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Everyone understands that. The Pentax APS line-up is among the most complete on the planet. 21mm is close enough to 23mm to make no practical difference. Anyone can take a random lens from any line-up and point out some other that don't supply it. Where's the other manufacturers 43 and 77 millimeter lenses?
Where's everyones else's 31? When released considered one of the top three of all time? Where is everyone's 50 1.4 rated best in class. 50 is actually a lens you can walk around with as a general purpose lens. In many minds including every camera company I know of, a really good 50 is an absolute necessity.

These are all good camera systems, a good photographer can make any of them work. It's not about one being better than the others, it's about what works for you. If Pentax doesn't work for you, no-one cares. There are lots for whom it does.


Last edited by normhead; 02-13-2021 at 09:00 AM.
02-13-2021, 08:40 AM   #170
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,507
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's a marketing point. All new Pentax lenses are WR. People with old non WR lenses now have to upgrade. And because so much of my favourite photography is on canoe trips , weeks at time in the bush, WR guards against accidents. I came home from one trip with 2 non WR lenses that had to be disassembled and dried out. Not any more.

For studio shooters, event shooters and indoor shooters WR is not essential. In 55 years shooting, I've never had a lens immersed in water in doors. For us outdoor shooters, it's a big selling point. Besides those water seals make even cheap lenses feel smoother.

My selling point or Pentax would be "rugged cameras for rugged people." It's not Pentax's fault most of the world are softies.

I'd tell you how many tis my DA*60-250 has been dropped or fallen off a car seat but it might make it hard to sell if I ever decided to get rid of it. It never stopped taking pictures.
I agree. For me WR is like “insurance”.

I remember in the early days, someone washed their K10 and lens ( I forget now which one) in the sink every day to clean off the salt, etc accumulated from shooting, and complained after several months that the WR feature was all BS because his camera ultimately failed.

Today, I shoot with a film era sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX, and if there is fowl weather I wrap the lens with Mylar using hockey tape to attach it to the TC and Hood. I know the mount between the camera and body is exposed, but it is better than nothing. And this does not stop me from disassembling it all to dry when I get home. Cameras are pretty tough.

Case in point. I swamped my kayak with my *istD and fa 28-105 zoom. The camera and lens got dunked, not just sprayed but water dripping out of them. I pulled the battery, and when I got home, opened all covers and took the lens off, and left it all in the sun to dry. That was in 2004, it still works today.

If you take care of your kit, it can withstand pretty much anything, and WR is just a bit of added protection.
02-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,602
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I know the mount between the camera and body is exposed, but it is better than nothing. And this does not stop me from disassembling it all to dry when I get home. Cameras are pretty tough.
I'm with you on the insurance bit.

On the mount exposure, I just had a thought: wouldn't a thick rubber band serve as an external seal, and be better than "better than nothing"? My first thought was to modify the body mount to incorporate a seal there, but that's too much like work to make it reliable.
02-14-2021, 05:03 AM   #172
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,507
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'm with you on the insurance bit.

On the mount exposure, I just had a thought: wouldn't a thick rubber band serve as an external seal, and be better than "better than nothing"? My first thought was to modify the body mount to incorporate a seal there, but that's too much like work to make it reliable.
The way I look at it, except when actually shooting, the lens mount is shaded by the body.

I know it is a weak point but....

An elastic could work, if it is snug.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, background, camera, cameras, depth, distance, dof, equipment, f/1.8, ff, format, formats, iq, iso, lens, lenses, m43, move, performance, photo, photography, post, print, quality, respect, sensor, situation, subject, wall
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will you leave APS-C for the K1? SteveM Pentax Full Frame 95 02-21-2016 07:00 PM
What do you think the Pentax FF kit lens will be? Sagitta Pentax Full Frame 70 02-16-2015 10:47 AM
What do you think the K70 is going to have? Painter Pentax DSLR Discussion 49 07-10-2014 12:55 AM
What would make you upgrade to the next flagship APS-C? Wired Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 101 12-16-2011 03:28 AM
Do you think Pentax will announce their EVIL APS-C size sensor camera soon? wll Photographic Technique 20 01-06-2011 06:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top