Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Award for inventor of digital photography

I just saw an email from IEEE. The engineering society has recently awarded an honour to the inventor of digital photography, who, ironically, was working for Kodak at the time.

The Inventor of the Digital Camera and an Ultrasound Pioneer Receive Technical Field Awards - IEEE - The Institute

03-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes. Kodak is a case study in bad management. Had they embraced digital and invested in CMOS instead of clinging to CCD they would be where Sony is today when it comes to sensor technology. Kodak also needs to take a look at what Fuji, VSCO, DxO, and others are doing and develop film packs that can be integrated into software like LR, DxO, C1. These sell well to enthusiasts and build on the Kodak legacy.

It would be nice if Ricoh would integrate film packs into the camera so instead of "JPEG Portrait" you could select Kodak Portra 160NC. I would like to see a lot more control over the in camera processing. Ricoh has a surprisingly good in camera processor and it has come in handy on multiple occasions.

Last edited by Winder; 03-22-2016 at 07:28 AM.
03-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Ricoh has a surprisingly good in camera processor and it has come in handy on multiple occasions.
SOOC JPEGS from macro-shot B&W negs for the win. I haven't yet found a setting that works with colour.

I don't think putting all of those film packs on board is a wise idea - there are too many in-camera options as it is - but the CD (I suppose it will soon have to be a cheap flashdrive or a download) that you get with the camera is another matter. And if they only put a limited number of film packs into the camera, we'd be faced with an avalanche of troll posts screaming that PENTAX IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! because their particular profile wasn't included, or because the camera was too slow to process the shots ("What do you mean, I can't have high-quality 36MP Kodachrome-look JPEGS at 20 frames per second? Pentax is..." etc.).

Given the barrage of such posts we've faced with the release of every new camera and lens recently, I don't think we need to give the whiners something else to whine about. Ricoh's engineers (and our moderators) have it tough enough as it is.
03-22-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
SOOC JPEGS from macro-shot B&W negs for the win. I haven't yet found a setting that works with colour.

I don't think putting all of those film packs on board is a wise idea - there are too many in-camera options as it is - but the CD (I suppose it will soon have to be a cheap flashdrive or a download) that you get with the camera is another matter. And if they only put a limited number of film packs into the camera, we'd be faced with an avalanche of troll posts screaming that PENTAX IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! because their particular profile wasn't included, or because the camera was too slow to process the shots ("What do you mean, I can't have high-quality 36MP Kodachrome-look JPEGS at 20 frames per second? Pentax is..." etc.).

Given the barrage of such posts we've faced with the release of every new camera and lens recently, I don't think we need to give the whiners something else to whine about. Ricoh's engineers (and our moderators) have it tough enough as it is.
I want the ability to upload my own profiles to the camera. Build custom profiles on you computer and put them on an SD card like a firmware update. I would also like to be able to customize my menus. I would completely remove the HD video menus and reprogram those buttons.

03-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're asking too much. Putting a profile in the root directory of an SD card and telling the camera to look for it (possibly under a user-defined settings profile) is one thing; redefining the menus is completely in another league. I can see all sorts of issues arising, and little eagerness on the part of Ricoh to sort them out or to provide the sort of total user control that would lead to their arising.

Consider that Canon users who install Magic Lantern are at significant statistical risk of bricking their cameras (or so I have heard); do you really want to play with fire in this fashion? To quote one of YouTube's more controversial photobloggers, "simplicity is divinity". In this case I absolutely agree.

Maybe a couple of generations of bodies down the road. Not now.
03-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think you're asking too much. Putting a profile in the root directory of an SD card and telling the camera to look for it (possibly under a user-defined settings profile) is one thing; redefining the menus is completely in another league. I can see all sorts of issues arising, and little eagerness on the part of Ricoh to sort them out or to provide the sort of total user control that would lead to their arising.

Consider that Canon users who install Magic Lantern are at significant statistical risk of bricking their cameras (or so I have heard); do you really want to play with fire in this fashion? To quote one of YouTube's more controversial photobloggers, "simplicity is divinity". In this case I absolutely agree.

Maybe a couple of generations of bodies down the road. Not now.
"simplicity is divinity": that is something I can definitely support.

Everything in life seems to be becoming increasingly complex. Smart phones, TVs, cars, Internet of Things, etc. It's all too much, leading to stress, expense, swift obsolescence, complex operational decision-making, frequent mistakes, frustration, loss of data, peer pressure, and on and on.

When, 50 years ago, I started my photographic adventures with my Zenith E, Ilford FP4 and home processing I was.......................happier.
03-22-2016, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think I would prefer to have preset profiles for various film performance accessible as a filter in the PP s/w, not in the camera. Keep the camera as simple as possible and give the flexibility in a place where there is much less risk.

I like to see an engineer honoured for an invention that has had such a big social impact.