Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Ever do something stupid?

Like scratch your focusing screen?

03-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tried to get a speck of dust off the perimeter of my focusing screen once and ended up introducing much more right in the center making it much worse. It still annoys me from time to time but I try to just ignore it haha
03-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
It's still usable, but it looks like a smear of dirt horizontally across the lens.

Looks like my next piece of kit will be an MF-60 replacement screen! I should have just let that fleck sit where he was but I just couldn't leave well enough alone. My bad.
03-23-2016, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope. Never dropped my K1000 from the doorway of a C-130 Hercules onto the tarmac, either. Nope nope nope �� But if I had, believe me I'd have been impressed that the only damage was a dented cap on the film winder lever...

Jim

03-24-2016, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Architecture Quote
Ever do something stupid?
Every day. Often kick myself for not stopping and taking a specific photo.
03-24-2016, 04:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmm just yesterday dropped AF360fgz from over head while adjusting a softbox.. though the door popped open, and hitting the floor jarred it from the trigger after taking it all apart and putting it back together everything still worked. 100% my fault for not locking down the cold shoe. Phew!
03-24-2016, 04:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like scratch your focusing screen?
Feh, that's just normal wear & tear. When I do stupid stuff (which is pretty much all the time since it seems to be my mission in life) it's usually much worse than that.
03-24-2016, 04:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I frequently do stupid things, though as the years progress I find myself being (marginally) less stupid It's annoying when something like this happens, but so long as you learn from it, it has value.

This doesn't help you now, but for future reference, to remove a speck of dust from the underside (exposed part) of the focus screen, an air blower is best - and if that doesn't remove it, I've found a dab with a gel sensor stick like the Pentax O-ICK1 works well, or a static-charged sensor brush. But these days, I just live with it on mine if the air blower doesn't remove it

03-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
I used my air blower but it turns out this new particle was actually on the fresnel side (inside the prism itself). It's still totally usable and I will grin and bear it and be thankful that my biggest problem at the moment is an imperfect view through my expensive camera equipment.

The worst part is I knew I should've just let sleeping dust lie, but sometimes us humans just have a compulsion to push the boundaries even when we know it's the wrong approach.
03-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used my air blower but it turns out this new particle was actually on the fresnel side (inside the prism itself). It's still totally usable and I will grin and bear it and be thankful that my biggest problem at the moment is an imperfect view through my expensive camera equipment.

The worst part is I knew I should've just let sleeping dust lie, but sometimes us humans just have a compulsion to push the boundaries even when we know it's the wrong approach.
That's usually the case with specs on the focus screen - in which case removing the focus screen and using a blower on the fresnel side usually works. Ah well, it's all good experience, and as you say it's still useable. A few days from now you won't notice the marks, I'm sure...
03-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have I ever done something stupid? You have got to be kidding. How much time do you have? How many pages of the list are you willing to read?
03-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tripped while walking in the river and dunked my k3 and fa 77 in the river. K3 dead on the spot. FA 77 sent to Mr. Pentax Eric (my hero) and he said the gods were looking over me and he cleaned it up, it works perfectly...ouchie but no i never do anything stupid...not my fault at all...the river should have never stuck it's foot out
03-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
he said the gods were looking over me
The gods were looking over the lens; the camera, not so much.

I sat on my bricked *ist-DL for far, far too long instead of sending it in for repair, only to find that the parts were no longer available. If I had acted quickly, it might have been salvageable. Replacement was certainly the wiser option (more problems down the road would have necessitated it anyway), but I'd have had a nice, compact body I could have put my Takumars on. Stupid, foolish me.

I gave away a bricked P50T and lost the SMC-A 50/1.7 that came with it.

I listened to someone who said I needed an SFX-N (which I couldn't afford) if I was serious about photography, instead of getting the K-1000 or equivalent Ricoh/Chinon that I actually NEEDED... and so failed to get into photography for far too long.

That's just the photography-related stupidities.
03-24-2016, 05:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Have I ever done something stupid? Um...no, not today. But the day is young. Over the course of my life? Oh, heck yeah! LOTS of times! We choose those things that we let bug us. I had a friend (who didn't really use his camera much) who hated to see dust in his viewfinder so he kept sending it in to be cleaned. Another friend (who also didn't use his camera much) refused to put any lens but Pentax's on his camera. Wut??? I don't know how bad your scratch is, but if it's possible to learn to live with it, I'd just call it "battle scars" and ignore it.
03-24-2016, 06:00 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Another friend (who also didn't use his camera much) refused to put any lens but Pentax's on his camera.
This is not so bad when the camera in question has a K mount and the appropriate registry distance. His right not to use third-party if that's what he chooses. OTOH, if it's not a K-mount camera, yeah, then there are issues.