Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #1

Holi festival of color opinions

So Im going to a Holi event for a few hours. I assume my k3 sealing will keep it nice and safe. I plan to mostly use my 18-135 because of the wr. I would really like my 35mm 2.8 and 70mm 2.4 to be available for nice portraits but I would hate to risk them with all the color powder, or worse them allowing that back into my body. They both seem like it would be very hard to rubber band plastic bags around just because of their size and lens hoods.

Basicly hoping someone else has been here before and has advice

03-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

You are in India, whereabouts? I have been to a few holis. There tends to be a lot of coloured water thrown around as well, even buckets full, so watch for that, also make sure you have nothing that can be stolen from you in case you take a bucket of water to the face (I lost a compact camera that way, setup pickpocketing by a bunch of kids). Just check your surroundings some groups/places/cities are much more intense than others, some are more relaxing. Lots of people stick to the rooftops as well. Basically if you are really afraid to lose or damage it, prob best to leave that gear in the room. Enjoy! I am heading back to India in a few weeks but sadly will miss Holi this time. Watch out for the special green lassis and sweets everywhere too, they pack a punch Also from what I remember black and red powders are the worst and take many days to come off your skin...
03-26-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it's definitely a WR-and-one-lens-only environment. This is the sort of thing the 18-135 was made for (and the reason why I bought it) - a circumstance where WR is essential and it isn't safe or advisable to change lenses. Happy shooting!
03-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Wouldn't those dyes/pigments stick to the plastics and become very hard to remove? They likely won't get inside, but I'd hate to have random splotches that I can't wipe or rinse off.

03-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
Wouldn't those dyes/pigments stick to the plastics and become very hard to remove? They likely won't get inside, but I'd hate to have random splotches that I can't wipe or rinse off.
In all the googling I have done Ive seen no mention of that but Ill report back if it happens

And to someone else, no I am not in India. I live near a city with a very big Indian population in Washington
03-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
How was your Holi experience ? In most of the Indian places celebrating it..you would be better off not taking that camera with you. or if you have to shoot..then do it from a rooftop, from a distance
04-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
It went rather well. I was able to get almost all the dust back off my camera with out a lot of effort. I see I need a better blower now and its fun to see wher dust is gonna collect

Finally went through my pictures. I think they came out well for my first real event/people shoot and also using my new 70mm 2.4 for many of the shots

Holi

Last edited by Greenneck; 04-02-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add link, fixed link