Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh...three dollars.

I went to an annual rummage sale a few weeks ago. I made a beeline to the electronics/camera section, and getting a late start, had little hope of finding any good legacy lenses. There was some Canikon stuff. An Olympus P&S. Then at the end of the table, buried under a pile of computer wiring and cables I spotted a film camera with what from a distance looked like a Pentax F35-70. Not a bad lens but I already have one. So I dig out the camera, a Pentax SF1. I turned it over and the lens is a SMC F50 1.7. Rather grubby and looking through the viewfinder, the lens doesn't seem to focus. The camera has no batteries so manual focus is all I can check. The focusing ring turns and the focus changes slightly but it won't focus to infinity. The blades seem to work smoothly and there's no obvious damage to the lens but it won't focus. So the conversation goes something like this...
Me: "How much for this camera and lens"?
Seller: "Is that a film camera?"
Me: "Uh...yeah."
Seller: "Oh...three dollars."
Me: "Heck, we're in Reno. I'll gamble three bucks."
I got the camera and lens home, cleaned up the lens and stuck it on the K5ii.....

I'm on pins and needles waiting for the weather to clear so I can go try it at night.

(There was a $3 entry fee to the rummage sale so the lens actually cost me $6 in total.)

03-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
The camera has no batteries so manual focus is all I can check.
This is why I take my K-5 with me when I think I might be buying lenses.

Great find. I won't tell you what I thought when I finished reading your post because it would probably get censored and earn me a language warning, but it was complimentary!

Going by the airplane, infinity focus seems not to have been a problem after all.
03-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(There was a $3 entry fee to the rummage sale so the lens actually cost me $6 in total.)
I think you did OK.
03-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear about your low-performing lens.

I offer 25 Quatloos if you'd like to rid yourself of it!

03-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gee, 3 dollars? Why didn't you haggle?

Great find!
03-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
a5m
Veteran Member

Great find! Considering you got the SF1 with it as well the lens was basically free.

I have yet to have such an experience myself but I can definitely share the feeling. I also agree with pathdoc; it seems to be working just fine .
03-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

don't forget: if you sell that SF1 for $5 you'll owe the IRS tax on $2 income! :P

Michael

03-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you overpaid. ;-P But I'd like to do you a favor and take it off your hands for $7. That would be a large percentage of profit for you....
03-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great deal!
03-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went to an annual rummage sale a few weeks ago. I made a beeline to the electronics/camera section, and getting a late start, had little hope of finding any good legacy lenses. There was some Canikon stuff. An Olympus P&S. Then at the end of the table, buried under a pile of computer wiring and cables I spotted a film camera with what from a distance looked like a Pentax F35-70. Not a bad lens but I already have one. So I dig out the camera, a Pentax SF1. I turned it over and the lens is a SMC F50 1.7. Rather grubby and looking through the viewfinder, the lens doesn't seem to focus. The camera has no batteries so manual focus is all I can check. The focusing ring turns and the focus changes slightly but it won't focus to infinity. The blades seem to work smoothly and there's no obvious damage to the lens but it won't focus. So the conversation goes something like this...
Me: "How much for this camera and lens"?
Seller: "Is that a film camera?"
Me: "Uh...yeah."
Seller: "Oh...three dollars."
Me: "Heck, we're in Reno. I'll gamble three bucks."
I got the camera and lens home, cleaned up the lens and stuck it on the K5ii.....

I'm on pins and needles waiting for the weather to clear so I can go try it at night.

I really like my 50 1.7......I'd buy 10 more if I could get 'em for $6 a pop
Nice find!
03-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

What a sweet deal!
03-30-2016, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Sheesh I just got mine for $140 CAD. Which is pretty close to $6 USD.
03-31-2016, 01:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Sheesh I just got mine for $140 CAD. Which is pretty close to $6 USD.