Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,209
QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
Interestingly enough, TinEye seems to find the same picture from DeviantArt (I should know, I posted it on DA), but not find the infringing page. Google does exactly the other way around: it misses the deviantart, but finds the infringing use.
I often find low overlap between the two, it's usually worth checking both

03-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 180
Original Poster
Notified the site owner. Will see how it goes. I feel kinda obligated to try to do that. If not for myself, for the actual artists whose work gets devalued (and who actually try to get compensated) if everyone thinks they can use any photo any way they like.
03-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 180
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Cool! Thanks. I kinda wondered if DMCA enters the picture and apparently it does.
03-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,713
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I had no idea you could do that...
Now I'm paranoid and will likely go to each picture I've ever posted.
I have found several of my photos wandering unattended "in the wild". The worst is when they end up without attribution on certain social media sites (e.g. Tumblr) where they become part of an infinite reshare machine.


Steve

03-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #20
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midlands
Posts: 51
I have a website not showing photos but it uses photos to show images of the items I am talking about they often get stolen along with text. So far every one that I have found using stuff with no prior permissions I have sent an invoice to with a covering letter. Most pay and except they have used someone's work. except some think they are above the law They get a reminder and if still nothing I pay to get a court order and add costs on top. I haven't lost yet.

It's my work, I don't work for free so if they want to use it they pay or at least ask before they help themselves.
03-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian
UserAccessDenied's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,674
QuoteOriginally posted by ukspeedtraps Quote
I have a website not showing photos but it uses photos to show images of the items I am talking about they often get stolen along with text. So far every one that I have found using stuff with no prior permissions I have sent an invoice to with a covering letter. Most pay and except they have used someone's work. except some think they are above the law They get a reminder and if still nothing I pay to get a court order and add costs on top. I haven't lost yet.

It's my work, I don't work for free so if they want to use it they pay or at least ask before they help themselves.
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you invoice?
Is the number just on the spot or do you actually have a standard rate for people that want to use an image.

Thanks!
03-31-2016, 11:59 PM   #22
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midlands
Posts: 51
On my site in T&C I say up to 2000 for work taken. The most I have asked Is the full amount but the chap was stealing lots of stuff. For simple photographs I ask around 75 per use.
If some one asks before use I often say please use just credit. I rather have the link than the cash but I don't like people that take without asking.
04-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,520
I uploaded my old picture from 2013 on tineye.com, and found it used.
Here is my image, and the link on the site.

Old San Juan, Puerto Rico | PhotosPR.com

My question is how is tineye.com is accurate? The sizes of images are different, mine was smaller, but 300dpi. Is it really my image has been used?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL SL1  Photo 
04-01-2016, 05:24 AM   #24
Pentaxian
UserAccessDenied's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,674
QuoteOriginally posted by ukspeedtraps Quote
On my site in T&C I say up to 2000 for work taken. The most I have asked Is the full amount but the chap was stealing lots of stuff. For simple photographs I ask around 75 per use.
If some one asks before use I often say please use just credit. I rather have the link than the cash but I don't like people that take without asking.
That's great to have a system in place, thanks for the figures!

Photography is a hobby of mine, if anyone wanted to use my images I'd just ask for credit. That said, I'd be pretty pissed if someone just used it without permission. That's just overall shady business.

---------- Post added 04-01-16 at 08:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I uploaded my old picture from 2013 on tineye.com, and found it used.
Here is my image, and the link on the site.

Old San Juan, Puerto Rico | PhotosPR.com

My question is how is tineye.com is accurate? The sizes of images are different, mine was smaller, but 300dpi. Is it really my image has been used?
I'd say likely different images...
Notice the window on the right side is different between the two. Could have been done in PP, sure. But then start to look at the tiles.
The image from the PR site looks older (tile in the image looks newer).
Look at the top left yellow tile in the portion with the bottle. Your attached image has a larger chunk eroded away.
Also the white tiles at the top, underneath the [No]

They are so close to one another though, that's crazy.
Is this a popular spot to take a photo?
I'd say perhaps they saw your photo and replicated it, but if the wear on the tiles is any indication than the photo on the site was taken before the one you have attached on this thread.
04-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,520
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Is this a popular spot to take a photo?
I'd say perhaps they saw your photo and replicated it, but if the wear on the tiles is any indication than the photo on the site was taken before the one you have attached on this thread.
I'm not sure it's much popular, and the windows were photoshoped for sure (because they do look like on my picture in reality).
The crop is questionable because who else will crop that picture so terribly like I did It was time when I just got my first DSLR.

Anyway, it seems impossible to detect for sure very similar pictures. So, it's pretty safe to steal.
04-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian
UserAccessDenied's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,674
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I'm not sure it's much popular, and the windows were photoshoped for sure (because they do look like on my picture in reality).
The crop is questionable because who else will crop that picture so terribly like I did It was time when I just got my first DSLR.

Anyway, it seems impossible to detect for sure very similar pictures. So, it's pretty safe to steal.
It is possible they stole it.
Just seems like a lot of work to take a photo then photoshop it with such detail in the tiles.

I just assume the people stealing photos are too lazy to ask for permission would also be too lazy to process a stolen image to make it "different".
My 2c tho
04-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,520
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I just assume the people stealing photos are too lazy to ask for permission would also be too lazy to process a stolen image to make it "different".
My 2c tho
I agree. The point was to understand how tineye.com detects pictures. Seems to me it's not reliable source for similar pictures aka geographic sites.
04-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #28
Pentaxian
UserAccessDenied's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,674
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I agree. The point was to understand how tineye.com detects pictures. Seems to me it's not reliable source for similar pictures aka geographic sites.
Agreed.
I wish I had a touristy picture to run through it. Like a shot of the Statue of Liberty or something... I wonder how many results would pull?
04-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #29
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,323
Everyone ought to search their images every once in a while. You might be surprised at what you find. I searched a bunch one day while I was bored and got 5 hits on one of them on Pinterest! The people who were using it weren't making money with it or anything. They just linked to it because they were trying to show how pretty their part of the state can be. No harm....no foul.
04-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,462
Would there be any interest in a private version of your post your photos forum, similar to how the pentaxian lounge is set up? That would prevent guests from ever downloading your attachments.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
copyright, credit, deviantart, google, image, images, internet, link, mine, pentaxforums, people, photo, photographers, photography, picture, plagiarism, pm, post, site, text, tile, tiles, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your rights, concerning copyright, and the Internet. promacjoe General Photography 15 09-19-2015 01:08 PM
Copyright and the fashion industry LinXitoW Photographic Industry and Professionals 7 05-31-2010 06:17 PM
Walmart, Prints and Copyright... Duh_Vinci General Talk 52 01-21-2009 02:45 PM
Ignorance and stupidity regarding copyright law... George Lama Photographic Technique 12 12-30-2007 11:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top