Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #46

It's very confusing to hear talk of Precision because there's another, discrete Precision Camera here in Texas.

But yeah, apparently the Precision Camera in Connecticut is also Sony's warrantor stateside. How a company with such bad word of mouth has these lucrative contracts is beyond me.

04-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #47
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear that Bert. Keep us informed on the repair and turnaround time.

All cameras are subject to problems, like most everything else electronic. The real problem seems to be in fast and qualified repair. This is not a new problem and I've read complaints for years as well as "it's going to get better." So far the "get better hasn't happened. If Pentax wants to attract new shooters with the K1, a more demanding type of shooter, they will need to step up and make some genuine progress.

Regards!
04-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Fifty billion angry Pentax users across the galaxy will be wanting to know how you managed that.

"Let them eat cake." Marie Antoinette. I am sworn to secrecy under pain of unspeakable horrors.
04-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good news!

Today I got a phone call from The Camera Store telling me my camera was ready to be picked up
I gave it to the store on the fifth (just under two weeks ago) so it was sent to Ricoh, repaired and sent back to TCS in under two weeks! I'll be picking it up tomorrow so it will have been out of my hands for exactly two weeks. I'm excited to now go and take photos of all our little birds.

04-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Incredible, I can hardly believe it.
04-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Fantastic, lad! Let's hope they actually fixed the thing properly for you! Perhaps you should try to scoop up a dirt cheap M42 lens as a safety net before you go on that trip you were telling us about?
04-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fantastic, lad! Let's hope they actually fixed the thing properly for you! Perhaps you should try to scoop up a dirt cheap M42 lens as a safety net before you go on that trip you were telling us about?
I hope so too... I'll see when I get it tomorrow night.

We're taking only carry-on luggage so no room for more lenses...

04-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #53
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Bert; glad you'll have your camera in time for your trip!
04-19-2016, 04:06 AM   #54
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Great news, Bertwert! That's a very good turn-around time. I bet you can't wait to get it back!!
04-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
no room for more lenses...
What a crime. What are you taking, just the 18-55 (probably the most useful all-rounder if you can only take one)? Or have you contrived to find room for the 50-200 (which would be my choice for a second lens in your situation)?
04-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What a crime. What are you taking, just the 18-55 (probably the most useful all-rounder if you can only take one)? Or have you contrived to find room for the 50-200 (which would be my choice for a second lens in your situation)?
Well I was planning on 18-55, 10-17, 40 XS, and my 50-200 if I can squeeze it in.
04-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Without knowing exactly where you're going, my advice to you would be leave the fisheye home and probably the 40XS as well, and take the 18-55/50-200 combination. I know you must be really eager to shoot the fisheye since you've not long got it, but going away on a trip - especially if it's once in a lifetime or otherwise very special - with a lens you're not very familiar with could be a recipe for disappointment, especially if your photography is a secondary purpose or consideration on the trip.

A more important consideration might be backup. If you're going to have any access to computers at all, you might want to take along a USB card reader and a couple of spare SD cards to put your day's pictures on. Also, how are you going to handle power requirements? I almost bought the K-30 instead of the K-5 because it could take AA batteries. if the K-50 does that, you're set; otherwise, you might be looking at squeezing a charger into your bag esp. if you're taking a lot of flash pics.
04-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Without knowing exactly where you're going, my advice to you would be leave the fisheye home and probably the 40XS as well, and take the 18-55/50-200 combination. I know you must be really eager to shoot the fisheye since you've not long got it, but going away on a trip - especially if it's once in a lifetime or otherwise very special - with a lens you're not very familiar with could be a recipe for disappointment, especially if your photography is a secondary purpose or consideration on the trip.
It's a tough decision, since the 40 is so small and I'm loving it, it comes for sure.
The fisheye would be nice as I havn't used it yet really. 50-200 I'm not sure how much I'll use the long end in France.

A more important consideration might be backup. If you're going to have any access to computers at all, you might want to take along a USB card reader and a couple of spare SD cards to put your day's pictures on. Also, how are you going to handle power requirements? I almost bought the K-30 instead of the K-5 because it could take AA batteries. if the K-50 does that, you're set; otherwise, you might be looking at squeezing a charger into your bag esp. if you're taking a lot of flash pics.
I'm going for a month so the charger will be a must. I've got the AA adapter and some AAs ready for emergenices, but I prefer using rechargeable batteries.
I believe we'll have a computer with us, but if not I have a couple spare cards, just there won't be any back ups.
04-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on getting the camera back in time! And you gotta take that fisheye! No better time to learn than when you have the shooting time and a bunch of fresh subjects around! I took a trip shortly after my 10-17 purchase and had a blast with it! Here's a couple of the many keepers I came home with...

04-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Definitely bring the fisheye. When I went to France, I never felt like I needed more than the reach my 18-55mm gave me but there were times I wish I could go wider than 18mm to fit everything in one shot...