Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
50-200 I'm not sure how much I'll use the long end in France.
Again it depends on what you're doing. Haven't been to France since I was your age, and that was a couple of days near the Italian border with a film point-and-shoot, but I know that in both Britain and Italy I constantly wanted more reach for some things (I had a 35-80 lens on a Minolta film SLR for my second trip, and I bought myself a 70-300 on the way out).

If you're going for a month, that might change things vis a vis the fisheye - you'll have plenty of time to get used to it, and you can always just delete the practice shots.

04-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Again it depends on what you're doing. Haven't been to France since I was your age, and that was a couple of days near the Italian border with a film point-and-shoot, but I know that in both Britain and Italy I constantly wanted more reach for some things (I had a 35-80 lens on a Minolta film SLR for my second trip, and I bought myself a 70-300 on the way out).

If you're going for a month, that might change things vis a vis the fisheye - you'll have plenty of time to get used to it, and you can always just delete the practice shots.
Well I'll be in England for a couple days first visiting relatives. Then down to France, probably south of France and maybe we'll go to the Pyrenees.
04-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure to wave as you fly over Newfie-land.
04-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Be sure to wave as you fly over Newfie-land.

04-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The most annoying thing was having to go and set all my settings to how I like them. This originally took hours, but luckily I managed to remember and only take 20 minutes.
An interesting thing I recorded was shutter count before I left (8000) and after I got it back (8021) so I wonder if they took twenty photos and said they looked the same?

Also they cleaned my camera to well!
It's weird to not see the familiar dust in the viewfinder anymore...

Last edited by bertwert; 04-20-2016 at 07:58 AM.
04-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An interesting thing I recorded was shutter count before I left (8000) and after I got it back (8021) so I wonder if they took twenty photos and said they looked the same?
They probably took a lens with as many stops as possible and shot it at least once at every stop to make sure things were cool, plus a few when they first got it to confirm the problem.

Hmm.... 1.2, 1.4, 1.7, 2.0, 2.4, 2.8, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.6, 8, 9.5, 11, 13, 16, 19, 22... that almost gets you there.

It's weird to not see the familiar dust in the viewfinder anymore...
Weird but good, yeah?
04-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Weird but good, yeah?
Yep, It is so clear now!

Another thought for France is tripod or not?
I use it nearly everyday at home and it is reasonably small and light...?
04-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can fit it in, take it. Just remember that you're the one who will be carrying it everywhere, so make sure you have arrangements for dealing with that hands-free. Oh, and remember that if the feet have ground spikes, it may be regarded as a potential weapon - and since you're going with carry-on only, that could be an issue.

04-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you can fit it in, take it. Just remember that you're the one who will be carrying it everywhere, so make sure you have arrangements for dealing with that hands-free.
That's my opinion also, I'm pretty sure it will come as I hope to do some astrophotography in France.
and since you're going with carry-on only, that could be an issue.
We'll actually have one checked bag between our family and it doesn't have spikes anyway.
04-24-2016, 01:49 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Well as apparently you go to the south, too... If you were going to Antibes (near Nice), you could come say hello !

If interrested, you could try one of the lenses I have (DA15, DA21, DA35ltd, DA35 f/2.4, FA77, F135, DA55-300) except the 10-17 you obviouly already have!
04-24-2016, 02:12 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Well good for you,I PERSONALLY THINK THEY KNOW OF THIS PROBLEM AND FAIL TO MAKE IT RIGHT.
Don't forget to sue your keyboard manufacturer, look like the device tend to have issues with capslock or shift keys.

Beside, it is easy to feel hangry about issues like that, but it happen. That's life. And it happen to much more expensive stuff too. I think of my previous boss, his familly car that he brought for something like 35000€ because he has 3 childs had the motor failing after 5 years. It was a known issue by Renault that many had but the car was no longer under warrenty, so nothing for him. That's far more anoying. Only choice was to buy a new one... He was really annoyed.

As a class action or something, the problem is we are all human, we are not perfect, many people make mistakes at time, many make mistakes trying to hide it. We all know that. We can go at war at each other (a class action is basically going at war against Ricoh here), but that would not solve anything. Human would continue to make errors, including Ricoh employees, they would just be more incentives to hide it, so there no potential for another class action. And even a car that stop working is just gear. This is not that important.

Now think a bit of all the errors people do that involve lifes. The doctor that was tired this day and made an error. The driver that kill somebody else because he was texting. This is terribly bad but if you think you would never ever kill somebody while drive because your drive if perfect or that you would never make an error as a doctor, well you are just lying to yourself.

Class actions against Ricoh would not help. This just make the world a bit worse place to live.

If you can't stand failure of your camera buy pro level gear with pro level insurrance, so likely an expensive Canon or Nikon with a recuring fee. It will likely soon cost you 10 time the price of a K30 or K50, but you'll would be covered.

Myself I don't think that worth it. For innexpensive stuff like consumer camera (before saying it is expensive, imagine the cost a car issues), it is simply cheaper to be your own insurrence company. Just keep the money you would pay for insurrence on the bank account for all things you buy and you'll soon have a good sum of money available to deal with any issue, much more money that you would have to ever spend on such issue. Not all the things you buy will fail sooner than they should.

The other part of it is to avoid to buy things that are too expensive for you. That way if they fail (and they will, the question is only when) you'll replace them without issue. My previous boss recognized that he spent a bit too much on the car to begin with, more than would be confortable to him if it had to spend again early in case of issue. He did basically a bet that the car would last 10-15 year and would resale for some money. He learned from experience and understood that as he still need car but didn't need one that much expensive that he could get basically the same service with a slightly more basic one, used one for half the price and feel much better about it if it was going to fail.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-24-2016 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language
04-24-2016, 06:47 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Well as apparently you go to the south, too... If you were going to Antibes (near Nice), you could come say hello !
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you were going to Antibes (near Nice), you could come say hello !
I think I might be going near Nice and may be going to Cannes, but I'll pass on the offer as I will just want the lenses after that
04-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #73
Pentaxian

I think I might be going near Nice and may be going to Cannes, but I'll pass on the offer as I will just want the lenses after that
Ahah ! As you wish