Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Best option for compact waterproof shooting at 30 meters?

Hello all,

I am a PADI Open Water certified diver, and I currently have an Olympus Tough TG-2, which is a nice camera, but it can only go 15 meters underwater, while I will often go to 18 meters (I've seen the back LCD already bulging inward at 14 meters). Also, I'd like to get my Advanced Open Water certificate, which means I could go to 30 meters. So I've been looking at a number of options to be able to shoot at that depth. The most obvious one would be to get an underwater housing for my TG-2, which is the Olympus PT-053. But, just like the TG-2 has been replaced by the TG-3 and then the TG-4, the PT-053 has been replaced by the PT-056. So getting hold of a PT-053 seems to be quite difficult. Upgrading to a TG-4, while nice, means I have to spend a lot more, which I'm not inclined to do.

I could also go another route, and get a (non-waterproof) Fuji XQ2, which seems like a nice general purpose compact camera too (it has a bigger sensor than my TG-2 as well), and get a WP-XQ1 housing for that. It would be a bit cheaper than the TG-4 + PT-056, although the camera itself would not be waterproof. But I think I'm willing to sacrifice that, if the image quality is better. And I'm inclined to think it will be, even though it's a 12MP sensor instead of the 16MP in the TG-4. The WP-XQ1 housing is maybe a bit bigger than I like though, because it has to accommodate the lens sticking out of the camera as well.

I was wondering if there are other cheap (relatively speaking) options for underwater photography, and if anyone has any experience with the XQ2 and WP-XQ1, e.g. sticking it in a side pocket of your BCD.

04-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a Ricoh WG-30 on a recent trip down to Mauritius, which was very good for snorkeling but the rear display was bulging at 25m down. I also had a coolpix in an Ikelite. Both solutions were ok but I have to say that as a photographer they annoyed me because they're a bit feeble light-wise, and a proper camera and strobe would have been so much better. But pricey, ouch.
04-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I had a Ricoh WG-30 on a recent trip down to Mauritius, which was very good for snorkeling but the rear display was bulging at 25m down. I also had a coolpix in an Ikelite. Both solutions were ok but I have to say that as a photographer they annoyed me because they're a bit feeble light-wise, and a proper camera and strobe would have been so much better. But pricey, ouch.
You took the WG-30 to 25 meters, while it's rated for 12? That's over an atmosphere more pressure. Hmm... guess I'm a bit more careful.
04-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Over the years I've used a variety of compacts in cheap(ish) housings.Have now settled on a Sony RX100 as RAW is essential in correcting colours once you get below about 10m.Its a pretty hit and miss affair though and the percentage of keepers is very low!

04-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Over the years I've used a variety of compacts in cheap(ish) housings.Have now settled on a Sony RX100 as RAW is essential in correcting colours once you get below about 10m.Its a pretty hit and miss affair though and the percentage of keepers is very low!
Yeah, I've noticed that too. With my Olympus, if I can get close to the subject, colors are actually still pretty good. But I haven't actually done that much diving yet, so I can't control where I want to be as well as I'd like to. And if there is more distance between me and my subject, it gets bluer. Even though the TG-2 has a special underwater white balance setting that's supposed to be really good.

That's actually another thing to consider: my TG-2 doesn't shoot RAW. The TG-4 does, but so does the XQ2.

Btw, what underwater housing do you use for the RX100?
04-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I use a Cameraplus housing which is a Chinese copy of the official one,bought through eBay. It's a bit of a leap of faith to entrust your camera to it but I checked the housing out by diving without the camera in it to check the seal!
I often think you only need a waterproof camera as 90% of the useable pictures are taken at less than 15 m but the problem is you need something which will withstand the pressure of 20-30 m for the rest of the dive.

Last edited by timb64; 04-07-2016 at 01:34 AM.
04-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use an old(ish) Olympus ZX-1 in the PT-050 housing. If I skip the tray, grip, and strobe, then it's definitely not going to get good photos unless the target is close close close. With lights, it does much better, but of course it won't be in a pocket... For a Caribbean cruise this summer, I plan to just take the housing since it will be clear tropical waters instead of the soup here.

Jim

04-07-2016, 01:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
You took the WG-30 to 25 meters, while it's rated for 12? That's over an atmosphere more pressure. Hmm... guess I'm a bit more careful.
Yeah, crazy hotel diving guy took me along with an advanced group which went deeper than I'd expected. Fun though
04-07-2016, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

A couple taken with the RX100

04-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That RX100 does look good. But, it's also more expensive.

While looking up cheap underwater housings, I also came across a brand named Meikon. They seem to be really cheap, but I wonder if they are dependable. I mean, what's the point of spending more money if a cheap housing also keeps out the water at that depth?
04-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have used a Meikon with a previous camera,a Cannon Powershot if I remember correctly.It's similar to the one I use with the RX100,I would test it fully,empty before trusting it with my camera.
04-11-2016, 04:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I was looking for a new underwater compact a couple of years ago (old Olympus C7070 got flooded in a swimming pool), the general consensus on underwater photography forums and review sites was that the Sony RX100 was the best compact. As mentioned above it is also a very expensive option. I was planning on getting a Canon G16 and housing but I settled for a second hand Canon G15 and Canon WP-DC48 housing.

The G15/G16 shoot in RAW, albeit, Canon's proprietary RAW format and the housing is rated to 40 metres. I particularly like the locking mechanism on the Canon housings, the mechanism is a lot more idiot proof than the Olympus housings I've owned. My G15 won't win me any awards but it does a decent job, much better than the Olympus TG 810.

A couple with the G15

Last edited by Mike L; 04-11-2016 at 04:37 AM.
04-11-2016, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Just for a comparison value's sake, these are Ricoh WG-30. They're not suitable for deep dives.

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
A couple taken with the RX100
Is that a Stonefish? *shivers*
04-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Just for a comparison value's sake, these are Ricoh WG-30. They're not suitable for deep dives.

Is that a Stonefish? *shivers*
Of the scorpionfish family so it carries very painful venom,it's not a stonefish though!
04-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I took a look at the Nikon AW130 as well. It goes down to 30 meters without a separate housing. But it's a small-sensor, one-stop-slower-at-wideangle (compared to my TG-2), JPEG-only camera. Still, I think it might be something, because I don't want my camera to get in the way of diving. The less bulk, the less it does that, I think.