Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, though the devil is in the detail of doing the fine control for the correction. Pitch and yaw are harder to correct for.

Steve
Not to mention response lag due to mechanical inertia and the control necessary to determine the response motion. I wonder if the control circuitry uses something like Fourier Analysis and wave-shaping or simple position feedback. Given that it has to deal with 5-axis motion, there has to be a fair amount of computational power involved.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 04-11-2016 at 05:49 PM.
04-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^ Yikes! I still don't have my head around overcoming inertia - with precision - for PixelShift.
04-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pitch and yaw are harder to correct for.

Steve
Yet those are the motions that have been corrected for since the K10d was brand new.
04-12-2016, 12:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Panasonic introduced 5 Axis Hybrid Image stabilisation with the advanced point and shooter TZ80/ZS60(depending on your location)

Mine arrived yesterday, talk about fun....its an impressive compact that punches above all the other tiny sensor cameras I have, looks like some will depart.

As well as some ILCs

04-12-2016, 04:08 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A few learned folks on this forum have asserted in the past that the five axis stabilization used by various manufacturers only compensates by moving the sensor in a plane perpendicular to the light path - and that no tilting of the plane of the sensor occurs.

That made sense to me. The rationale being that any tilt would take part of the image out of focus - but... then I watched this video and it seems pretty clear to me that tilting is happening.

A close-up of Olympusí 5-axis image stabilization system

Can someone help me understand this? I'm trying to figure out how the sensor can be tilted away from the normal plane and not negatively impact focus.
To start off with, change axis to degrees of freedom. It will make more sense. There are to only three axis in normal quadrature coordinate space so more than three is physically impossible.

The degrees of freedom are pitch, roll and yaw about each axis we have .

When people talk about "3 axis" correction they are discussing shifting the sensor to compensate for pitch (up and down, and side to side) and rotation with respect to the lens axis.

The new "5 axis" systems also consider yaw about the horizontal and vertical axis,

What no system can correct for is pitch in the film plane, I.e. Movement front to back along the lens axis.

Further, in lens stabilization cannot deal with roll, I.e. Rotation about the lens axis, but are better able to deal with pitch and yaw.

Overall it is simply a design trade off.

I have found even back to the K10 days pentax's basic 3 axis system is adequate for most needs
04-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When talking about "six degree of freedom" it is illustrated by six axis.
3 x linear axis (up/down, left/right and forward/backward) or simply X, Y and Z.
3 x angular axis (pitch, yaw and roll)

For cameras the cordinates are defined like this.
X = left/right
Y = up/down
Z = backward/forward

Pitch = rotation around X axis
Yaw = rotation around Y axis
Roll = rotation around Z axis.

04-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
When talking about "six degree of freedom" it is illustrated by six axis.
3 x linear axis (up/down, left/right and forward/backward) or simply X, Y and Z.
3 x angular axis (pitch, yaw and roll)

For cameras the cordinates are defined like this.
X = left/right
Y = up/down
Z = backward/forward

Pitch = rotation around X axis
Yaw = rotation around Y axis
Roll = rotation around Z axis.
I'm very familiar with 6 degrees of freedom since I shoot rockets for a hobby. The really big one's require a 6DOF analysis to be submitted to the federal government before launch.
04-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Yet those are the motions that have been corrected for since the K10d was brand new.
I think, perhaps, there is some confusion of terms.

Steve

04-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
As far as I know the existing bodies other than the K1 use simple 3 axis motion detection and correction and do not monitor and attempt to correct for 5. The roll type movements are the ones excluded if I am correct. Also pointing a Pentax straight up or down tends to cause SR to alert you so I assume that in these orientations there is limited capability to detect motion.