Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As it says in my signature two lenses,16-85 and 55-300, cover most eventualities,WR,relatively lightweight.Very interested in Norm's idea of stacked TCs to get extra reach when spotting wildlife though,I'll have to save my pennies!

04-12-2016, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Either I'll take everything that I can fit in the big camera backpack, or I'll take the camera (maybe the tripod, too) and one prime. If I'm out with only one prime, it becomes a fun game to see what sorts of pictures I can take with just the capabilities of that lens. If I sense I'm starting to beat myself up for not taking X or Y lens, it's just an impetus to work harder with what I have. There'll be good photos out there no matter what, and it's up to you to find them!
04-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I take pretty much everything I own (except a handful of old manual lenses), everything in my signature and a tripod.
04-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
We should sometimes remember how lucky we are.

Back in the 1970s, selecting your kit was simple:
Travelling light ment the 50mm, 40mm, or 35mm prime only, otherwise the standard equipment with the 28/35mm, 50mm, and 135mm.
Only very few photogs owned lenses wider than 28mm or longer than 135mm.

And with the first decade of affordable zooms, this situation changed only marginally (and only for bright daylight), as acceptable IQ was only available 2-3 steps from wide open. So, if not on a sonny day, you still had to add the nifty fifty, to make sure.
And, as the early zooms were quite big and heavy, you did not gain too much compared with the standard three primes.

And this was the high time for 2xTCs, as then, together with the kit prime, you had 50 + 100mm. A small 4-element TC could travel in your pocket. And zooming with your legs was certainly not bad for your health either.
This was my life. I shot a Nikon Nikkormat FT3 with a 50mm F/2 and carried a 2x TC in my pocket often. I also sometimes carried an extension tube or two but not typically both a TC and a set of tubes.

04-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I take pretty much everything I own (except a handful of old manual lenses), everything in my signature and a tripod.
That's all pretty light weight stuff you slacker.
04-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's all pretty light weight stuff you slacker.
It's even lighter now that my K-50 is being repaired, but my pictures aren't that good...?
04-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
This is true and of course a lot of history's greatest photographers walked around with a single body/lens and often with very substandard IQ (by our standards). There is an exhibition of Sergio Larrain's work coming up and I don't think he worried much about kit:

I love the idea of a month with one prime lens. I see it suggested a lot as an effective creative push. I guess it's as much psychological as anything, thinking you're missing out if you don't have a piece of kit.
Step into the light... or dark side depending on your view:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/31...il-2016-a.html

Warning LBA may INCREASE due to exposure to great photos by great photographers with all kinds of lenses some of which you may never have heard of before they are thrust upon you for a month of images.

04-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Step into the light... or dark side depending on your view:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/31...il-2016-a.html

Warning LBA may INCREASE due to exposure to great photos by great photographers with all kinds of lenses some of which you may never have heard of before they are thrust upon you for a month of images.
Over the years I've given this a lot of thought, and I just can't wrap my head around one lens for a month. I shoot landscape, wildlife and macro, so using one lens means giving up at least 2/3s of my production. And it doesn't take me a month to learn a lens. Two weeks tops.

I can see doing what I always do and just posting the results from one lens, but not just using one lens. For the most part, I just don't find lenses to be all that interesting.
04-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Over the years I've given this a lot of thought, and I just can't wrap my head around one lens for a month. I shoot landscape, wildlife and macro, so using one lens means giving up at least 2/3s of my production. And it doesn't take me a month to learn a lens. Two weeks tops.

I can see doing what I always do and just posting the results from one lens, but not just using one lens. For the most part, I just don't find lenses to be all that interesting.
The truth is you can use whatever you want - but in this group you post only from the one lens. I find it pushes me to find new ways to use lenses. I am trying to be less unicentric during the month and branch out and use other equipment to avoid what your stated pitfall is.
04-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I try to take a wide angle (10-20), a macro (50mm) and a long lens (300) with a 1.5 TC. That covers all my potential needs.
04-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #26
Forum Member

For me it's the 16-50 and the 60-250 with the 1.4 convertor. If I'm feeling fit I'll take both K3 bodies with one lens on each. But sometimes I do like the challenge of taking out a few primes and these would be 15, 31 and 77.

Tim
04-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tjstimbo Quote
For me it's the 16-50 and the 60-250 with the 1.4 convertor. If I'm feeling fit I'll take both K3 bodies with one lens on each. But sometimes I do like the challenge of taking out a few primes and these would be 15, 31 and 77.

Tim
Can I be in your will?

The only thing I wouldn't like about that is, using the 18-135 and 60-250 saves a lot of lens changes, between 60-and 135. But the primes are awesome. Starting from scratch I might go that way, except I have a Tamron 70 macro, I need for macro, so that has eliminated a pressing need for he 77, a Sigma 8-16 for UWA, and a DA 35 I hardly ever use, making it seem unlikely I'd use the 31. Contrary to popular belief, the choices you make early affect where you end up. I like my lenses, but starting from scratch I doubt I'd end up with the same set.
04-12-2016, 07:32 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I be in your will?

The only thing I wouldn't like about that is, using the 18-135 and 60-250 saves a lot of lens changes, between 60-and 135. But the primes are awesome. Starting from scratch I might go that way, except I have a Tamron 70 macro, I need for macro, so that has eliminated a pressing need for he 77, a Sigma 8-16 for UWA, and a DA 35 I hardly ever use, making it seem unlikely I'd use the 31. Contrary to popular belief, the choices you make early affect where you end up. I like my lenses, but starting from scratch I doubt I'd end up with the same set.
This is so true. Unless you are nutty and sell off things and buy more things! I previously owned the DA 35 plastic fantastic. At present I have the FA 31 and FA 35 f/2. These just dropped into my lap and I couldn't say no. You would think the FA 31 would make the FA 35 an instant sale item - but the size difference is substantial and the FA 35 is really very good. On top of this I own the DA 40 and want the FA 43 - but justification is not there.
04-12-2016, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have kids. It's amazing what those little suckers can carry once they get about 3 year's old.

04-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Start with the understanding that MY version of the hobby is equally balanced between using Pentax cameras and lenses and producing good images. That's a somewhat unusual take. My analogy is fly fishing with vintage equipment - I don't really care whether I actually catch fish. I want to 'get out' and use old gear the old way. If I make good casts to likely fishy spots I'm happy. Fish-on! is icing.

In that context (old gear the old way) I start a walk with a camera body and three lenses contemporary to that body - say 24 / 35 / 50 or 50 / 85 / 105. I'm then motivated to 'see' images that I can expose with that kit, and I don't regret missing something I could have done with another lens.

I have to be pretty orderly about using my gear; I have a lot of gear right now. I start with a regular cycle of the bodies, then add to my bag three lenses that complement the 'body of the month' or 'day.'

Eventually I need to make a deliberate decision to use a specialty lens such as K400/5.6 or DA15/4 or Tammy 500/8 Mirror. But that's FUN! and that's my goal.

I have a Domke F5 'Go Bag' always ready. I'll grab that when we're just going out for frozen custard or to the Farmers' Market. There I keep my K-3 and a battery, MZ-S and film, the 3 used FA Limiteds it took me years to find, a used FA24~90 and a used 540FGZ. If I can't get a shot with that kit I'm just whining.