Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2016, 04:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
camera ergonomics

Pentax DSLRs are renowned for their ergonomics, what is it that makes them so good? Given that all DSLRs have to perform the same function and use it seems odd that a 'niche' company such as Pentax should lead the way.
BTW I own five Pentax DSLRs so am only curious

04-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd have to be sceptical about Pentax ergonomics really being that much better than anyone else's. I think it's more a case that when you're used to something, everything else feels odd. Which is why everything else feels odd to Pentax users. Also, ergonomics is eminently unmeasurable; a touch and feel thing - it's not a factual FPS measurement in which one is definitely faster.

I'm a dual system user, Canon and Pentax, and neither is either massively worse than the other or massively better. Canon felt really weird to me after years of Pentax, but now they're both fine. They just each have little unique features that makes them different. I've never seen an objective comparison which makes Pentax ergonomics especially great, significantly better than other brands.

Last edited by Nass; 04-15-2016 at 04:49 AM.
04-15-2016, 04:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I've never seen an objective comparison which makes Pentax ergonomics especially great, significantly better than other brands.
Probably because it's close to impossible to objectively compare ergonomics.

From holding various DSLRs and DSLMs, I find my K3 the best ergonomically, also compared to my K-r. Two friends (one shot Nikon and switched to Sony, another one shoots Olympus mFT) have the same impression and find my K3 better ergonomically than what they are using. Not exactly a representative sample though
04-15-2016, 04:57 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i always thought it were largely exaggerated that pentax bodies had such great ergonomics. i always felt the grip on my K-5 to small.. until I held a Nikon 7000 series in my hands. Uhh, all the plastic felt so cheap, with way too tiny grip. I cant comment though on actually using the camera..

04-15-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe every camera maker makes good cameras and bad cameras. Sometimes better ergonomics translate to more work, and thus lower margins, so maybe that's why a niche player needs to do better. Canon can make horrible Rebels and people will still buy them.

An important point is that, in addition to the form factor and grip, Pentax appears to have a more consistent and logical use of buttons.

The best benchmark for this is to hand a camera to a new user and see how they get around. Sony and Fuji are very good at this, as is Pentax. However, take a Nikon and try to move the focus point in the visor, or ry to simply zoom on a photo in review mode. You'll see what I mean.
04-15-2016, 05:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's just one minor detail: when I want to take a lens off of my Pentax I keep my right hand on the grip, and use my middle finger to disengage the lens lock, then remove the lens with my left hand with one movement. Totally seamless. And not possible with any of my Nikons. It's lots of "little" things that Pentax gets right. e.g. the lens hood with access to rotating CPL filters; Standard batteries across all their DSLRs; consistent menus;

OTOH, there are things only my Nikons give me: built-in viewfinder shutter for use when taking long exposures; A "standard" threaded PC Sync port; custom menu page.

Michael
04-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The differneces are also much more obvious in entry level bodies than high end ones. For example, dual wheels, bright and relatively viewfinder, no nonsense buttons or functions layout, all make a camera like the K-50 more efficient to use in the field than entry level Canon, Nikon or Sony bodies. Something I've noticed, when I shoot with peoples having these entry or mid level camera, is that they seem to have to play a lot in the menu to get the camera doing what they want it to do. I've often finished to take a series of shots before they even have time to take one, still battling with the interface to get the settings they want...

04-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I know that in any camera I've held before I bought my K-50, I found Pentax was the most comfortable.
04-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Here's just one minor detail: when I want to take a lens off of my Pentax I keep my right hand on the grip, and use my middle finger to disengage the lens lock, then remove the lens with my left hand with one movement. Totally seamless.
Michael

YES - even though I use my pinky instead of middle finger, it's little things like this that make your brain say, "Oh, that's nice".....
04-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

There's definitely something to ergonomics. It's not just voodoo. I think it starts with the weight of the camera. You don't want it to be so light that the initial impression is, "I'd break that by the end of the week." It should be heavy enough to impart, "This is a tool, not a toy"...but not so heavy that a person thinks, "This isn't something I'd want to carry for very long." Weight doesn't automatically equate to durability, but it gives that impression...and that's what ergonomics is all about. Ergonomics also has to do with the placement and feel of the buttons and switches. They should have the right amount of resistance to them...not too heavy and not too light. Add it all together and you end up with a satisfying photographic experience. I think this is one of the things Pentax does well. They get more things right than wrong in the overall "feel" of a camera.
04-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't know that Pentax ergonomics are uniformly superior (K-S1?), but I do know that the two dSLR models (K10D and K-3) I have purchased suit my hands very nicely and that the "feel" in hand was a consideration at time of purchase. Both balance nicely with lenses in my kit and I am a very happy camper.

That being said, aside from general principles for usability, what works varies from person to person and often goes against conventional wisdom. Examples from my personal experience:
  • Love the deep grip on my K-3 and also the K-30 (never owned). K-50 is not so good as the K-30.
  • Pentax Spotmatic (and derivative bodies): Despite reputation, these only work well for me with a half-case attached.
  • The compact M and A series film SLRs are generally too small for my hands, though the Super Program with half-case and grip is quite nice.
  • I like my Ricoh XR7; despite its compact size and my long fingers, most controls fall easily to my hands.
  • Of all the cameras on the shelf, the grand prize for handling is shared by two of my rangefinder film cameras.
    • Canon P with Zhou case fitted
    • FED-2 with hand strap
    The Zhou case has sculpted bumps for thumb and fingers...deluxe. With a wrist strap and the original vulcanite, the FED just simply works. Go figure
  • My recently purchased Bessa R3M should have high marks (light, nice grip, great controls), but I have yet to find a point of resonance with the camera
  • The prize for worst ergonomics of any camera I have every held goes to the Exacta Varex...designed to slip out of your hands...the hard you grip the less secure the hold

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2016 at 09:14 AM.