Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightning pics

Just looking for info on taking lightning photos. I have had small success on taking them with trying to time it and using timed open shutters. Also have looked into lightning triggers but can't find any that fits the K-r or the newer Ks-2 (which I really like.)
So any help would be appreciated

04-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
compatibilty
04-21-2016, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you said "lightning"? I love lightnings! I've never claimed to be normal anyways....

You mean something like this?

These were all taken from my back yard in light rain between 9:00PM and 10:00PM during a thunderstorm.
K20D with the 18-55WR and a sturdy tripod.
ISO400, manual mode, f5.6, manual focus set at infinity. A wireless remote is very handy as well.
Since it was nighttime, I used long exposures between 5 and 10 seconds. Sometimes I used longer like 30 seconds but with a black cardboard to cover the lens ready in case of an early burst.
If it were daytime, I'd use a similar approach but compensating with ISO and aperture.
You need to take a few minutes to study the storm. Where is it heading and where is the most likely area of hits.
Sometimes, common sense is the least common of the senses: Don't do anything dangerous (i.e. stupid) that could put you or your gear at risk. Safety is key.
Boys Scouts have a good training called Hazardous Weather.
I've never tried a lightning trigger but most likely those that say "fits Canon and Nikon" will also fit Pentax. Just did a quick search on ebay and found one that says for Canon but in the description it lists Pentax as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Ismael

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/273459-nature-night-t...#ixzz46W8QTpD6
04-21-2016, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

It was going to be one of my summer projects - then we didn't have any storms!

My one play at it involved mostly using bulb mode and never going longer than about 30 secs. If I got a strike not long after starting an exposure, I stopped it. Keen storm photographers might find that way too low tech but it got me some shots.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-21-2016, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do the KR & KS-2 use the 2.5mm connector?

QuoteOriginally posted by mwm Quote
but can't find any that fits the K-r or the newer Ks-2 (which I really like.)
For my K5, I purchased this connector: Vello 2.5mm Remote Shutter Release Cable for Cameras RCC-C1-2.5

It plugs in just like a wired remote and it connects with this lightning trigger: AEO Photo Lightning Strike! MultiTrigger Pro 4.0 Lithium MT4PRO

It's not as useful in brighter light conditions like storms during the daytime, however once the light dims it works really well and I have captured lightning as per these images, one of which is a 17 image stack.
Attached Images

04-22-2016, 02:33 AM   #6
mwm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So these are great. Especially the third one.
Thanks for the info

---------- Post added 04-22-16 at 04:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
It was going to be one of my summer projects - then we didn't have any storms!

My one play at it involved mostly using bulb mode and never going longer than about 30 secs. If I got a strike not long after starting an exposure, I stopped it. Keen storm photographers might find that way too low tech but it got me some shots.
Thanks. Done very well