Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also bring a polarizer filter for each of your lenses. When the light is reflecting off of them,eliminating glare really makes the colors pop. Even western NY the Finger Lakes Region is pretty awesome with all the waterfalls, Letchworth State Park and tons of small wineries to visit. And of course sometimes I just have to look out the front window.

Attached Images

05-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So if you will be in Denver, the Rocky Mountains present many opportunities for autumn foliage photos. No need to drive 1,800 miles.

Just sayin'.
I have heard that (Rocky's and west of, consists mainly of Aspens) you don't get reds that occur on the east coast....is this the case?
05-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Agreed, yet if you go a bit further west of I-80/Blue Ridge Pkwy into western Virginia and eastern West Virginia you will find some of the most picturesque landscape in all of America -- and not a tourist to be seen (unlike up here in New England during "leaf peeper" season).

Michael
Yes most definitely. I agree with blue ridge parkway, Keep in mind that you can go as far south as Maryland, and western MD is beautiful, with waterfalls, mountains, etc. The area where West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia meet, Harpers Ferry is beautiful in the fall (but very very crowded) but Western MD will be slightly later in the season for leaf color turning but still beautiful and not at all touristy. Muddy Falls and Swallow Falls are in the state park. C&O Canal is a nice towpath that runs along the state from Western MD to DC, gets really pretty in the fall.

Last edited by Murfy; 05-02-2016 at 05:12 PM.
05-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
BEWARE of driving in Boston. The streets were laid out by cows, extended by inmates of an asylum, with signage by sadists, and used by drivers who pay no attention to traffic control devices. Yellow lights mean hit the gas, red lights are advisory. They put the most important escape route down in a trench, so you may have to jump your car over the edge to get back to the country. Before taking your car into Boston, drink six cups of coffee and three martinis, you'll be more comfortable and fit right in. I've driven in Boston, so I know it cannot be done.

---------- Post added 05-02-16 at 03:55 PM ----------

Other piecse of advice about Autumn leaves, which you probably already know. Backlighting commonly brings out the colors more vividly; individual leaves hand-held for close-ups are a good visual break from scenics or whole trees.
LOL...sounds like Sydney.

05-02-2016, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I have heard that (Rocky's and west of, consists mainly of Aspens) you don't get reds that occur on the east coast....is this the case?
Red is notably a maple tree color, also smaller plants such as sumac which turns a brilliant red very early in the Fall, viburnum and dogwood. Birches, poplar and especially aspen turn a brilliant yellow. Stands of aspen in the west are breathtaking when at the peak of their Autumnal yellow.
05-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.is this the case?
Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Agreed, yet if you go a bit further west of I-80/Blue Ridge Pkwy into western Virginia and eastern West Virginia you will find some of the most picturesque landscape in all of America -- and not a tourist to be seen
That is very true, I just came through that are two weeks ago, incredibly scenic, and you can drive through the Shenandoah valley on the Virginia side and have many roads over the mountains into West Virginia and into the Western Maryland as well, all will be beautiful, and likely much less crowded, than New England.
05-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sugar maples turn a brilliant red in the fall. Really impressive.

05-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aspens are primarily a bright golden yellow color but there is a red phase that sometimes appears sporadically. It's a kind of rusty orange color but it's uncommon.
05-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
More yellow, gold and orange.

There are fewer maples out West, so yes, there will not be as much brilliant red.
05-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I note the reference to Eastern Canada as well
Try Quebec, best maple syrup as well and you get to practice your French to boot!:

Fall Foliage | Travel to Quebec City, Canada

Phil.
05-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hudson river fall foliage cruise.

Hudson River Fall Foliage and Cold Spring Cruise | Seastreak Ferries
Hudson River Fall Foliage Cruise 2013 | Dave Reilly's Place
05-03-2016, 04:46 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Try Quebec, best maple syrup as well and you get to practice your French to boot!:

Fall Foliage | Travel to Quebec City, Canada

Phil.

Well at least the best maple syrup north of Vermont.
05-03-2016, 05:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
the best maple syrup north of Vermont

Not sure why y'all are flexing your tats about what is essentially a condiment. Tennessee's got bacon:

Country Hams, Benton's Country hams, townsend, tn,hams, Country bacon, Bacon, smoky mountains, smoky mountain hams

At any rate, Mallee Boy, I think the take-away is that fall foliage isn't hard to find in the States: it's finding a country lane that's not bumper-to-bumper with Winnebago's hauling Rascal Scooters. If your travels find you close to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, though, send me a PM and I'd be happy to play Sherpa.
05-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Other piece of advice about Autumn leaves, which you probably already know. Backlighting commonly brings out the colors more vividly; individual leaves hand-held for close-ups are a good visual break from scenics or whole trees.
and let's not forget the polarizer -- NOT because it makes skies darker but rather it removes reflections on leaves making the colors pop even more.

Michael
05-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #30
Forum Member

Be careful in the fall.

I need to pick your brains people.

Where on the East coast of the USA would you head to photograph the fall colors? Keep in mind we would driving, probably coming from Denver and would like to avoid big cities, seen one, seen 'em all.
I am imagine it would be North east...but have never been there and am open to suggestions.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Grant.
Just be careful if you and Ann are photographing all those fall colors this year. If you happen to spot a beautiful lady and a Gorilla, both with Pentax's, one of them, the Gorilla with a 2nd one around his waste looking like Maverick. After all he is a good looking Gorilla. Well run and hide. He will shoot you both for sure and plaster it all over facebook and Pentax Forums. anywhere else he can think of. Just a warning.

Your good buddy Keith.