Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 03:42 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
let's not forget the polarizer -- NOT because it makes skies darker but rather it removes reflections on leaves making the colors pop even more.
A yellow or orange filter can create an amazing effect
[IMG][/IMG]

05-04-2016, 04:15 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Not sure why y'all are flexing your tats about what is essentially a condiment. Tennessee's got bacon:

Country Hams, Benton's Country hams, townsend, tn,hams, Country bacon, Bacon, smoky mountains, smoky mountain hams

At any rate, Mallee Boy, I think the take-away is that fall foliage isn't hard to find in the States: it's finding a country lane that's not bumper-to-bumper with Winnebago's hauling Rascal Scooters. If your travels find you close to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, though, send me a PM and I'd be happy to play Sherpa.
Thank-you for the offer, a few ducks to line up yet... But will definitely be in touch if it looks like happening

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 05-04-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling...original sent from phone
05-04-2016, 05:29 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fall Colours: Canada's National Capital Region

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I am imagine it would be North east...but have never been there and am open to suggestions. Appreciate your thoughts.

I know you are thinking of Northeast USA, but thought I should put a plug in for my own part of the world. The autumn colours can be absolutely breathtaking in the Ottawa area - both inside the city and in the countryside. Ottawa is only an hour's drive from the US border (New York state), and our fall scenery is very accessible without crowds. Maple trees abound.

Of particular note is our own Gatineau Park, one of our many national parks, which is a quick 20-minute drive from the city core:
Fall Rhapsody | National Capital Commission

And here's a shot taken along the Rideau Canal

- Craig
05-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again folks. You have certainly given me a lot to think about.
...Craig...Ottawa looks great, thanks for the heads up.

05-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #35
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

And here's a shot taken along the Rideau Canal

- Craig
That second shot is fantastic!
05-05-2016, 02:18 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I need to pick your brains people.

Where on the East coast of the USA would you head to photograph the fall colors? Keep in mind we would driving, probably coming from Denver and would like to avoid big cities, seen one, seen 'em all.
I am imagine it would be North east...but have never been there and am open to suggestions.
Appreciate your thoughts.
I am originally from the Boston, Mass., area and we would drive out to the Berkshires and follow the Mohawk Trail. There are many awesome views from some mountains that are easily accessible. You will end up around Adams, Mass., which is unbelievably striking with the fall colors. You would want to be there from the second week in October when you can actually see a sky that appears to be on fire from the vivid colors of the leaves. There are many souvenir shops in the area and you can purchase containers of genuine Vermont Maple Syrup and even Maple Cookies. Hope this was helpful

Tonytee
05-05-2016, 03:10 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI-My picture above was taken at Monticello, the home of President Thomas Jefferson, if you decide to visit this area, let me know.

09-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Back again.
Poor health intervened in this plan...but it is now back on again. ...with a twist. I gave a presentation locally on my US meanderings and now a local camera club I am a member of wants to do it, so a mob (11 have put their hands up and expect a few more, max 16) of (mostly) retired shutterbugs are headed your way. Looking at Sept Oct 2018.
What I would really appreciate from you guys and gals is a heads up on any Lodges etc for accommodation in that Maine / New England area. Thinking 5 nights.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 09-27-2017 at 05:24 PM.
09-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Northern Vermont and eastern Quebec have the largest amount of sugar maple tree and were the you will get the best mix in colors.
09-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Northern Vermont and eastern Quebec have the largest amount of sugar maple tree and were the you will get the best mix in colors.
I fully agree. I couldn't give pointers in Vermont/Maine, but regarding Quebec anything in the Eastern Townships (think Magog, Cowansville and such) will be nice. If you can drive further north, the Quebec city area is (in my biased opinion) better because you get more hills and small mountains. The hiking is wonderful here, you get two waterfalls near the city (big ones) and Isle of Orleans where fall is just amazing.
09-28-2017, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I fully agree. I couldn't give pointers in Vermont/Maine, but regarding Quebec anything in the Eastern Townships (think Magog, Cowansville and such) will be nice. If you can drive further north, the Quebec city area is (in my biased opinion) better because you get more hills and small mountains. The hiking is wonderful here, you get two waterfalls near the city (big ones) and Isle of Orleans where fall is just amazing.
09-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll put a vote in for North Central Pa. I's a closer drive for you than New England and it is beautiful country to drive through, especially Rt 144 and Ole Bull State Park. I was there two weeks ago and the leaves were just starting to change. Ironically, I'm heading out to Co. in a week.
09-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #43
Pentaxian

What I would really appreciate from you guys and gals is a heads up on any Lodges etc for accommodation in that Maine / New England area. Thinking 5 nights.
Last year in Maine, we stayed at a house through Air BnB with great success. We rented a room but since you have a large group, you can look into renting an entire house. Hotels, mostly national chains are a safe bet too.

Local motel type places are iffy! We stayed in one a few years ago and it was just barely ok. It looked like the owner built the place himself. It had exposed plumbing all over the place and the ceiling was so low, I could reach out and touch it (I am only 5'8"). Good luck.
09-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Last year in Maine, we stayed at a house through Air BnB with great success. We rented a room but since you have a large group, you can look into renting an entire house. Hotels, mostly national chains are a safe bet too.
Personally I swear by Trip Advisor and Booking.com. whether it's been a planned vacation or a last minute stop, I have not been disappointed yet.

Also, Upper New England does have incredible foliage, but for my money, the NJ Botanical Gardens at Skylands, and the view from High Point State Park are pretty incredible for fall color. The Connecticut River valley in Windsor Locks, CT and northward is really nice as well
10-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

We are getting some nice colors on a lot of the hardwoods in central Maine now so should be peaking in different areas over the next few weeks.
Good luck and if you are driving, watch out for deer, moose, and porcupines on aal of the roads, but especially on the two lane back roads.