Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Maxium comfortable weight of kit when traveling

Hey all,

So I'm planning out a trip, and am wondering what eight (ballpark) everyone is comfortable with when out and about. I've a messenger-type bag, (as a backpack would be FAR too hot in Jordan / Israel in summer) and 3 lenses (kit 18-50, f1.8 50mm prime, and 55-300wr)... and am debating about whether 1. that's too much walk around weight for hours (in the past I've just taken my kit lens) and whether I should stick with my Gorillapod or invest in a lightweight travel tripod.

On my last trip I honestly never found a proper use for the gorillapod, all the shots that would have benefited from a steady base needed a tripod - but I'm thinking even with a lightweight tripod (for example this one: Photographic tripods monopods and accessories - Sliktripod.co.uk) it would be brutal for carrying for hours in the heat.

While I understand everything is a trade-off, what's your comfort zone weight for a walk-around kit?

05-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Sean,

I travel a fair bit, and also use a Messenger type bag (Crumpler 5) for daily walking around. 3 lenses is fine for me all day - K3, DA 20-40 Limited, 55-300 WR, and one prime - usually for me that will be one of the DA15, DA70 or Zeiss ZK 35 (which is a bit heaver). My choice of prime depends on what I think I will be doing / shooting that day. I don't take a tripod at all. In hot climates access to clean water (how to carry) will also be a consideration.

Enjoy your vacation .
05-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure how hot it is in Jordan / Israel, but I've worn my backpack comfortably in 100 degrees F. I'm willing to be hotter to have a more comfortable bag and carry more equipment in a more secure manner. I have to agree that a backpack is considerably hotter though. Whenever I stop and rest the backpack comes off. It also comes off for some of my lens swaps. I routinely carry: K-3, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 8-16, Pentax 60-250 and a lightweight CF tripod with a small ballhead. Not sure of the total weight, but it feels very manageable in the backpack and I'm definitely not a large man at 150 pounds. I've had messenger style bags before but I find I have to switch sides a lot and they can be awkward when climbing or bending. Good luck with your trip!
05-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please keep in mind that every piece of gear becomes heavier as time passes by Your lens set seems quite reasonable and not particularly heavy - I use 18-135 and 55-300 WR myself. Things get tricky when it comes to tripod - Gorillapod is useful as long as you're not trying night photography (or something similar). I have used Gorillapod with good results, and I think tripod is simply different story. Ask yourself a question - what is going to limit my photography more? Lack of tripod, or exhaustion related to carrying it for whole hot day? Sure, photos taken on tripod tend to be sharper, but more dynamic style (i.e. without tripod) may yield good results as well. Last, but not least, you may want to try a monopod. Have a nice trip!

05-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I could ditch the 55-300, but only you know whether you'd use it enough on your trip to earn its spot in the bag.

05-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Hamilton Quote
Maximum comfortable weight of kit when traveling
What ever my contracted Sherpas are able to carry.
05-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Hamilton Quote
Maxium comfortable weight of kit when traveling
Now that I have the 150-450 it will have to be around the 5kg.

Have to start and eat more spinach !

05-13-2016, 03:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

mmm... for an OS touristy type trip I use a Domke FXC shoulder bag with K-1, DA10-17, 31, 43, 77 and F*300/4.5..... weight is 4kg. I also take a Domke FXB when I'm going for dinner etc, with K-1 and just a couple of lenses (it holds 3 primes if needed). I have a Suiri carbon travel tripod, but reflect in depth before taking it OS.

A lot of the time the camera with a lens is in my hand, or on a strap.... so bag weighs less then 3kg over the shoulder. For important trips will have a second body (K3) stashed in general luggage.

FXB

FXC

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-13-2016 at 04:02 AM.
05-13-2016, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just done three weeks in Japan often roaming about for hours, but in mild temperate weather. I used a lightweight backpack (the sort that folds down into one of its own pockets). The backpack fitted a Lowepro 160AW camera bag (just), a water bottle and whatever other bits and pieces I needed eg map or Lonely Planet type of book, hat, etc. The camera bag had a K-3, FA20-35, FA43, FA77, DA10-17 in it. Yes that all fits in. I had a tripod that I separately strung over my shoulder if heading out later in the day. The weight of all that in a backpack didn't worry me much as it was well distributed across the shoulders. I would have noticed it much more if all that was in a messenger bag as all the weight would be higher on one shoulder near the neck.

I actually bought a smaller tripod while in Japan that weights about a kilo all up and folds down to about 350mm long. It was a Sirui T-005 with C-10X ball head. Not a tripod I'd be using with a heavy telephoto or in a stiff breeze but with the backpack hanging off the centre post, stable enough. Mind you the somewhat larger tripod I was using earlier in the trip struggled with a gusty breeze on top of a mountain in Nagasaki for some night shots so there's always a trade off with tripods that are reasonably compatible with air travel. I've not convinced myself a Gorillapod is all that useful as the likelihood of a convenient rail or post being JUST where you want to take your shots from seems a crap shoot with a high prospect of a loosing hand. And if you do find a rail, other sightseers will have an annoying tendency to bang and bump the rail or a small child is using it for gymnastics practice. Just trying to have no one moving about putting vibrations into viewing platforms or bridges can be frustrating enough.

Vast majority of my photos are done with the FA20-35. The rest of the lenses tend to come out for the walks but don't get used too much. Really most of the extra lenses could stay in the hotel room and maybe one alternate lens would come with me on any given day. Now I have this smaller tripod, I'm contemplating a smaller camera bag with just the camera and the day's walkabout lens mounted on it, the Sirui tripod and maybe one extra lens in its own small hard case. All that hopefully will fit in the afore mentioned backpack which gives good ability to scramble about trails, still easy to manage on public transport but permits evening shots, waterfalls with ND filters etc.

The collapsing backpack is great, if I dont need it, it folds to nothing in the suitcase and adds bugger all to bag weight for air travel. It has a waist strap as well as the shoulder straps so it's quite stable on the back if scrambing about on trails, rocks etc. Messenger bags and normal camera bags will always swing around just when you don't want them to, either crashing into something or potentially throwing you off balance at the wrong moment.

Keeping cool is obviously something that concerns you. While backpacks hold the heat against your back, its the lesser evil if you are expecting to do anything strenous. What I have found great in warm climates is clothing made from 'technical' fabrics that wick perspiration away from the body. Whereas you just end up a sweaty mess with cotton. It's the lightweight clothing you can find in outdoor shops like Columbia, Paddy Palins etc. It also drys real quick if caught in rain or need to do a quick wash back in the hotel at night. I fit myself out entirely with this clothing somedays, right down to underwear. And it packs down much more compactly and lightly in your suitcase/travel pack. If you haven't used this type of clothing before you might be a bit sceptical of its claimed abilities particularly given the premium pricing, but trust me, it works.

Assuming I give into the siren song of the K-1 at some point, I will give the DFA28-105 a good hard look as a travel lens and leave a lot of the other lenses at home. I had a play with this combo in the official Ricoh showroom in Tokyo a few days before the K-1 release and it seems a nice combination. The K-1 plus the 24-70 I think would start to get a bit tiresome on a long day out.

Also if you are heading to Jordan, I imagine the climate on average is dry and there is a tendency for lots of dust and rubbish in the air (ie much like the summers in my corner of Australia). Unless the day is quite still, you'll end up swapping lenses much less than you might expect so as to avoid too many spots ending up on the sensor. Murphy's Law dictates that the only wind gust you've experienced all day stirs up dust right on the middle of a lens change.

---------- Post added 13th May 2016 at 10:08 PM ----------

Oh, one more thing. If you have a preplanned must have vista/ cityscape type of shot, then this web app will allow you to determine exactly what focal length will do the job, showing you what lens is going to be right for the job (allowing you to leave some lenses back home or in the hotel).

ScenePlanner - Tools for camera users

It is quite accurate if you get all the inputs right - I've tested its results against some images I taken myself of the same scene from the same location. Plus it will tell you where the sun is at any given time. Helps you plan what time of day will give the lighting you need. Or preselect a location for a sunset or dawn.

Last edited by southlander; 05-13-2016 at 06:08 AM.
05-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #10

If you're comfortable, you're not trying hard enough. One must suffer or your images will suffer

Just kidding of course. Enjoy your trip.
05-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think it really depends on what you plan on doing. When I am going to walk around a lot, I try to keep the kit weight down. I've gone as light as just bringing my body with an 18-135 lens on it. On other trips, I've carried a 17-50 and 55-300 as a two lens combo. More recently, I bring 3-5 primes (15 to 200 mm) pending what I expect to need most. With the K-3, I feel confident that I can crop if I really feel like a prime isn't giving me what I need.

I do occasionally bring a tripod, but I don't feel it's really a necessity (I'd think differently if I was a professional). The high-iso capabilities of cameras these days makes me comfortable shooting hand-held in almost any situation. I only bring tripods when I know I want to take long exposures (night photography or artistically blurring water, skies, etc).
05-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I usually have three primes, wide angle, normal, and medium telephoto. Sometimes more, if I am bringing along the pancake or M series glass. I also use a very light camera, usually K-01.
Then I stuff the bag with phone, wallet, random stuff I don't need..
05-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It will be terribly hot. Insanely hot. Make sure you have a way to carry water. Drink the water and refill replace it. Many times.

---------- Post added 05-28-16 at 08:22 PM ----------

Very small backpack or sling bag may be the best.
05-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've said it elsewhere, but I usually take my K-30, 10-20 F4-5.6 Sigma (that's the heaviest one!), 18-135 and occasionally the 55-300 (but it hardly ever gets used) in a LowePro Hatchpack 22l because that backpack is very light and the side to your back is very sweat-absorbant (and it's relatively "safe" because there is a zipped compartment for camera gear on the side against your back). I also have a fairly small holster which holds the body + 10/20 or 18-135 for more immediate accessibility on my shoulder. Anything heavier is just too much in hot climates - that lot worked in Thailand in April 2014 (when it's hot and very humid) and did not pose an unacceptable load on my shoulders (and I could never contemplate a shoulder-hung bag for the same reasons).

Tripods etc., I don't take because of the size/weight/"awkwardness" of having something which inevitably get caught in something as I go past, especially if I am in tourist-heavy areas (and also, in the UK, we have pretty low allowable weight limits for most plane flights unless you want to pay for high extra luggage allowances.).
06-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've done two hot, humid holidays (Borneo in 2014 and Galapagos Islands in 2016), plus I regularly photograph for 5-6 hours at a time on hot summer days at the farm sanctuary where I volunteer.

I'm not sure how you'll be travelling, but I distinguish between the gear I pack for a trip and the gear I take out on any particular day.

For example, for the Galapagos trip, I packed: 2 bodies (K-1s), 55-300, 17-85, 50-135, 1.4 teleconverter, 10-17 fisheye, 17-50 2.8 (Sigma) and 35mm macro. (That was to cover both the Galapagos activities and some indoor shooting at a dog/cat shelter before the trip.)

However, on a specific excursion during the Galapagos trip, at most I carried one body and two lenses. It was crazy hot and humid, and I was also climbing in and out of Zodiak boats, dealing with uneven terrain, climbing up and down steps, etc. On easier terrain, I might have carried two bodies, each with a lens attached and maybe a third, small lens.

I've recently switched to using a Cotton Carrier vest and I love it when the excursion is principally (i.e. 80%) about photography. I used in the Galapagos Islands and I plan to use it for my visits to the farm sanctuary. In the Galapagos, I hooked one body (usually with the 55-300 lens attached) into the chest harness and clipped a pouch to the chest harness containing a 2nd lens and bits and bobs. I also brought a small runners' backpack with me (Gregory 10L) but found that it was hard to access and a little too warm in the circumstances. I may be more likely to use it at the farm sanctuary, though. If I want to, I can also incorporate a holster and clip on a second camera to the chest harness. I didn't do this in the Galapagos because I found the terrain too challenging but again, I likely will try it at the farm sanctuary.

I did find that wearing the chest harness was a little warmer than carrying a shoulder bag, but on the other hand it significantly reduced the sensation of weight in terms of my gear. It gave my back, neck and wrists a break and that more than made up for the sensation of feeling slightly warmer while wearing the harness.