Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
Without a signed release these photos would be useless to the paper.
For commercial use, yes - like if he said ' hi - I would like to use your photo in a stock image. Can you sign this model release for me?'

No model release is required for news, photo-journalism, non-commercial, or where the person is only incidentally in the image (a face in the crowd, a bystander etc).

---------- Post added 2016-05-13 at 03:11 PM ----------

Then why did he approach the woman for a release? I don't know his exact purpose for it but it sounds like commercial work for the paper not journalism work
From the article:
He said he took a photograph of a woman feeding a duck at the lake, but when he identified himself to ask for her permission to use the photograph, the woman refused.
“I told her that was fine, but she insisted on me deleting the photographs,” Pardo said. “I told her I couldn’t do that as it was a public place, although I could request that her photograph not be used.

Sounds like the conversation went like this:

'Hi, I'm X from the VictorVille Daily Press. I took your photo. Just letting you know we might use it in the Daily Press. Is that OK?'

She then said no, he said OK he won't use it. She then insisted the images be deleted, he said no, then she called her thugs.

05-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

He should have respected the personality rights of the pearson an delete the photo. Otherwise it is simply paparazzi.

And I can understand the overreaction of the people, when they are photographed without agreement, because very often they can be found in the social media afterwards - "I only said it won't be presented in the newspaper. This behaviour is a reaction to the big numbers of papparazi-photographers.

In this situation, i would have called the police!
05-13-2016, 05:07 AM   #18

She is either hiding something, or she knows how useful the police is when there are no fines involved, so she called her thugs.

He should have been expecting the worse when she brought company, and dialled 911 just in case. Hope he learned his lesson and gets better quickly.

As if it wasn't bad enough for plane spotters to be branded as terrorists, now this...
05-13-2016, 05:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
As if it wasn't bad enough for plane spotters to be branded as terrorists, now this...
Best to stick to shooting macro, I think. Bugs or flowers wont call the police on you, or beat you up.

05-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those suggesting he should've deleted the image, what if it had been a film roll? He has to throw away the roll? Grow up. He was working and being respectful to the photographed subject by asking for permission.
05-13-2016, 06:12 AM   #21

OK, I'll play "what if". What if she was part of the witness protection program and publishing a photo of her revealed her identity to a perpetrator.
05-13-2016, 06:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
For those suggesting he should've deleted the image, what if it had been a film roll? He has to throw away the roll? Grow up. He was working and being respectful to the photographed subject by asking for permission.
But it wasn't a roll of film it was one digital image which could have easily been deleted, problem solved. Although he was respectful and asked for a release, why did he even ask for one if it was really for news not for an ad etc. Then he used the lame excuse that he couldn't delete the file because he was working. He also said " he would ask that her picture not be used" not much reassurance for the woman in that. All he would have had to do is show her the camera back and delete the shot in front of her, problem solved. If he really wasn't going to use it why not delete it in front of her.

05-13-2016, 06:37 AM - 6 Likes   #23
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't believe anyone can defend attacking someone physically over something like this. Mind-boggling.

05-13-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I can't believe anyone can defend attacking someone physically over something like this. Mind-boggling.
I am surprised no one asked what he was wearing, or said that he should not have been there to being with. What kind of satisfaction do people want? When will not be ok for people to attack another person?

I am sure some of it is because people want to hold themselves at a distant and say "it will never happen to me, I would never (fill in the blank)" but that's pure fallacy.

My hopes for a speedy recovery and these people, who committed a crime, are caught quickly.
05-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
So if I go to Oakland and start yelling racist comments and get beat up, would you be surprised when no one defends me?

Both are examples of free speech ... In both cases the person didn't break the law.

There was more than once where the photographer could have ended the incident and he choose to push the issue with the wrong people. I don't feel bad for him, the photo wasn't going to be used anyway. If I was his boss I would have fired him for this. A photo of a person feeding a duck isn't worth bad press
05-13-2016, 08:04 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So if I go to Oakland and start yelling racist comments and get beat up, would you be surprised when no one defends me?
I would never defend violent action for any spoken word. If someone breaks the law, call the police.

QuoteQuote:
Both are examples of free speech ... In both cases the person didn't break the law.

There was more than once where the photographer could have ended the incident and he choose to push the issue with the wrong people. I don't feel bad for him, the photo wasn't going to be used anyway. If I was his boss I would have fired him for this. A photo of a person feeding a duck isn't worth bad press
You live in a reality very different from mine. I much prefer mine.
05-13-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

You are basing your entire argument on the fact they would have not done anything after he deleted the file. Can I ask how you know they would have been fine with the file being deleted? You know they would have not grabbed the camera anyway and stolen it? You have no "story" after he deletes the file because in your mind that is a happy ending, but it doesn't always work out like that.

Your whole basis for an argument is that someone committing a crime is thinking logically. Where does this happen?
05-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
You are basing your entire argument on the fact they would have not done anything after he deleted the file. Can I ask how you know they would have been fine with the file being deleted? You know they would have not grabbed the camera anyway and stolen it? You have no "story" after he deletes the file because in your mind that is a happy ending, but it doesn't always work out like that.

Your whole basis for an argument is that someone committing a crime is thinking logically. Where does this happen?
Well the article makes it pretty clear the person just wanted her photo deleted. When the photographer refused is when the situation escalated. Then he refused again when the other guys showed up. They gave him a chance.

Its far less of a jump to conclusions to say that if he deleted the photo the incident would have been over than to say that he would have been beat up either way considering they asked him multiple times and concluded by trying to destroy the camera (not steal it).
05-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well the article makes it pretty clear the person just wanted her photo deleted. When the photographer refused is when the situation escalated. Then he refused again when the other guys showed up. They gave him a chance.

Its far less of a jump to conclusions to say that if he deleted the photo the incident would have been over than to say that he would have been beat up either way considering they asked him multiple times and concluded by trying to destroy the camera (not steal it).
I can't even comprehend why someone would spend the time arguing this. I see no other point for you to continue your comments other than to derail this post to make the post about you. That is what it feels like, and I find it very odd.

Back to what the post is about - to the op again, very sorry this happened to your nephew and I hope they find the attackers.
05-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Your post has offended me. Please delete it.

Who decides?
Apples and Oranges.