Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
I am glad you are inarticulate enough you must resort to calling me a felon. I never said what the two people did was ok, in fact I condoned their actions.

Actually that quote was making the point that just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should. What is a legal right doesn't make you invincible. Sometimes people should take some responsibility for their part in conflicts. In this case the photographer could have easily deescalated the situation numerous times but instead he added to the problem. Its not 100% his fault, not even 10%, and he had the full legal right to do what he did. Just like in my example I would have the full legal right to go to Oakland and yell racist comments, both have the potential for consequences by those who are willing to break the law.
I think you meant condemned their actions. Condoned is to "approve of"

---------- Post added 05-14-2016 at 11:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I genuinely hope he gets back to work and can put this behind him. Assaulting people who are simply doing their job sickens me, irrespective as to what their career path is. It's a disgusting attack on a person's livelihood and sense of well being.
I hope he heals up fast also. And assaulting innocent people is wrong, and he should not have been struck. That said, and not to be construed as my feeling he was deserving of being struck... When I take photos of people I take great care if the person is the" subject" not just a part of the background, to always ask them First. Or to immediately make sure they have no problem with my photographing them. I also offer to send them a copy by email. I have only been asked to delete a shot once, so I did. I have also seen things photographers do that sickens me, and it starts with the attitude that the picture or video is everything and the subjects have no value beyond "the story" or the "Advertisement". I have seen way too many photographs and videos of people and animals in dire straits in need of help or in anguish or pain and the photographer or videographer just keeps on shooting never putting their cameras down, doing NOTHING to help, "after all it's not their job" their job is to report. Simply doing your job is no excuse to ignore the plight of others. I think many photographers need a good dose of etiquette and understanding for other beings, beyond their lens.

05-14-2016, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just a quick update : a suspect has been identified and there is a warrant out for their arrest.
My nephew continues to heal, but he posted a picture for us of himself today and his face still looks pretty bad.
Thanks for the get well wishes.
05-15-2016, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #48
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good news on both fronts! Thanks for the update.
05-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Bugs or flowers wont call the police on you, or beat you up
Hmm, if you get too close some bugs might bite/sting and for flowers thorn/pollen , anyway photographers are doomed.

05-15-2016, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

Hi Larry! i hope your nephew gets well soon.
05-16-2016, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #51
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Just a quick update : a suspect has been identified and there is a warrant out for their arrest.
My nephew continues to heal, but he posted a picture for us of himself today and his face still looks pretty bad.
Thanks for the get well wishes.
i hope that your nephew didn't get a concussion from the incident.

best wishes for a speedy recovery.
05-17-2016, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is an article written by an associate of my nephew's and explains why they do not delete photos.
When a photo leads to violence - News - VVdailypress.com - Victorville, CA

05-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #53
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
Why wouldn't he just respect her wishes and delete the photos of her?

Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean you always should.
Correct. And as a corollary, I'd add that simply because you have a right means you should not be beaten up!
05-17-2016, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Here is an article written by an associate of my nephew's and explains why they do not delete photos.
When a photo leads to violence - News - VVdailypress.com - Victorville, CA
Thank you for sharing the article. It's good to see his employer has his back. It is a shame this happened at all. There is no excuse for this type of behavior. This could and should have been handled in a peaceful manner. I hope your nephew has a speedy recovery.
05-17-2016, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #55
bxf
Veteran Member

To those who have a problem with photographing people in a public place:

Imagine you are at some attraction and you want to take a photo. Being a popular attraction, the place has many people whose inclusion in the photo is inevitable. What are you to do?

1. Decide to not take the photos?
2. Ask each person who happens to be in the scene at the moment (and not even necessarily a few moments later) for permission?
3. Take the photos, since you are permitted by law to do so.

Both of the first two options strike me as ridiculous and unacceptable. What is your correct solution?
05-17-2016, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Suspects arrested Suspect wanted in photographer attack arrested - News - VVdailypress.com - Victorville, CA
05-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #57
bxf
Veteran Member

Also here, with photos: Arrest Made in Photographer Beating | VVNG.com Victor Valley News
05-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
To those who have a problem with photographing people in a public place:

Imagine you are at some attraction and you want to take a photo. Being a popular attraction, the place has many people whose inclusion in the photo is inevitable. What are you to do?

1. Decide to not take the photos?
2. Ask each person who happens to be in the scene at the moment (and not even necessarily a few moments later) for permission?
3. Take the photos, since you are permitted by law to do so.

Both of the first two options strike me as ridiculous and unacceptable. What is your correct solution?
I think the problem arises most often when someone IS the photograph. Not when they are incidental or just a part of the whole as in your #2.
From a personal standpoint if I am somewhere and I see a photographer and know I am part of the scene and not THE scene I couldn't care less. However should someone just decide he wants to me and or one of my grandchildren to be his main subject then I want to know why and will ask, and feel I have a right to ask, and he BETTER have a good answer and a nice demeanor. Not everyone with a camera has the best intentions. Also you never know when you might be putting someone in danger, what if the women who wanted her pic deleted was in witness protection or had moved to avoid being battered. Oh never mind the pic is what is important.

Re: the news papers head photographers explanation for not deleting a photo due to policy. I find that policy is basically a form of not caring who or what gets hurt as long as they get their shot. The shot is everything the subject is nothing. This is their excuse for hitting max burst rate while a child is drowning or a puppy gets run over in traffic. For heavens sake Get The Shot! don't put down your camera to help, after all some perv who gets off on pain and misery shouldn't miss out on the those shots and that = $.
This type of photographer behavior is also like the one who moves baby deer or disturbs bird nests in the wild to "get the shot"
05-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
I think the problem arises most often when someone IS the photograph. Not when they are incidental or just a part of the whole as in your #2.
From a personal standpoint if I am somewhere and I see a photographer and know I am part of the scene and not THE scene I couldn't care less. However should someone just decide he wants to me and or one of my grandchildren to be his main subject then I want to know why and will ask, and feel I have a right to ask, and he BETTER have a good answer and a nice demeanor. Not everyone with a camera has the best intentions. Also you never know when you might be putting someone in danger, what if the women who wanted her pic deleted was in witness protection or had moved to avoid being battered. Oh never mind the pic is what is important.

Re: the news papers head photographers explanation for not deleting a photo due to policy. I find that policy is basically a form of not caring who or what gets hurt as long as they get their shot. The shot is everything the subject is nothing. This is their excuse for hitting max burst rate while a child is drowning or a puppy gets run over in traffic. For heavens sake Get The Shot! don't put down your camera to help, after all some perv who gets off on pain and misery shouldn't miss out on the those shots and that = $.
This type of photographer behavior is also like the one who moves baby deer or disturbs bird nests in the wild to "get the shot"
The woman's photo is all over the papers now. Didn't much work.

As far as the no deletion policy....simple. I pay a staff member to take photographs I want to see them. Even if I can't use them. I don't want them to "keep" the good ones while I'm paying their wages.
05-17-2016, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

"...he BETTER have a good answer and a nice demeanor."

Or what? You get to join those idiots in jail?