Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #61
Veteran Member

On the aspect of framing, one 'rule' I ignore lately is cropping only to standard ratios based on photo prints. I don't crop all my images, but for the ones I do it's quite freeing to not care about the ratio.

I have a couple decent telephoto zooms for when I need to blow up the subject, so I usually only crop to remove distracting people or backgrounds. This is especially true for family functions where a kid might be doing something cute but grandma is right next to them in the middle of a not-so-photogenic facial expression, or they're sitting near a garbage can full of used plates and cups. I used to limit cropping to allow printing at least printing 4x6 without black edges or cutting off important bits, but it always limited my selectivity. (Same with 5x7, 8x10, etc) I always hated when you had a mostly great image but there was some element 'ruining' it.

I rarely make prints anymore since most of my images are shared and viewed on screens, so now I can crop to get not-so-flattering-Grandma and Mr. Garbage Can out of the picture completely. Screens these days are all different aspect ratios anyway, and if I ever need to print or display a specific photo ratio I can always go back to the original .raw file. Personally I find different aspect ratios to be interesting when going through digital albums since you're not always looking at the same rectangle. It also makes it easier to not get stuck in a rut on things like the rule of thirds.