Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I guess nobody is a true collector like himself because now there is a 'buy it now' for $2395 and $98 shipping.
So right! The bidding was up to $445 earlier today. Heh.

06-02-2016, 03:55 AM   #32
Pentaxian

That was a funny listing - I had plenty of chuckles at the expense of the seller.
06-02-2016, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm happy to report that my anger with that guy and his insults are long gone due to the responses here. Thanks, everyone.
06-02-2016, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Peace brother - life is too short to stay cranky

06-02-2016, 05:22 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He has also upped the shipping price to $102.

He does explain towards the bottom that the cost of insurance is $3 per $100 of value.

It is a shame I don't have the money to play with this guy. If I did, I would make him an offer and in that offer I would put in the terms that the lens must be hand delivered within 8 hours.
06-02-2016, 05:27 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
It is a shame I don't have the money to play with this guy. If I did, I would make him an offer and in that offer I would put in the terms that the lens must be hand delivered within 8 hours.
LOL

Great idea
06-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
He has also upped the shipping price to $102.

He does explain towards the bottom that the cost of insurance is $3 per $100 of value.
If that's the case, and he thinks the value of the item is such-and-such a price, then the shipping costs kind of make sense. It is eBay's policy after all that the seller is responsible for making sure the item is delivered safely. And he does tend to sell some high-end items, some of which go into the thousands.

And when it comes to rare items, an online auction does not do a good job of assigning the actual value. For such items, you have to have just the right buyer come along. I've learned this hard way several times in the past. Whereas something that is very uncommon may only sell for say, $98 as a no-reserve auction, you might be able to sell the same item for $299 as a Buy-it-Now listing if you just list and leave it there waiting for the right buyer to come along.

My advise is don't be annoying and complain to a seller about their shipping prices. If you think the shipping is higher than the value of the item, then go find the same item elsewhere if you can.
06-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #38
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
And when it comes to rare items, an online auction does not do a good job of assigning the actual value. For such items, you have to have just the right buyer come along. I've learned this hard way several times in the past. Whereas something that is very uncommon may only sell for say, $98 as a no-reserve auction, you might be able to sell the same item for $299 as a Buy-it-Now listing if you just list and leave it there waiting for the right buyer to come along.
So, if one person who shows up after a long wait is willing to pay the high price that nobody else is willing to pay (as implied by the lower auction bids), you take that price to represent the actual value of the item?

Sometimes I wonder if we really are all descendants of the same ancestors...

06-02-2016, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

I don't know.
Sellers have to do whatever is necessary to attract buyers. Sellers who are irritable and rude run buyers away rather than attract them. I guess if what you are selling is irresistible and powerfully desirable, you can be as rude as you like (soup nazi??), but in general, sellers have to be accommodating and gracious.
This seller doesn't even know much about photography, since this lens will certainly work great on a Pentax K-1!

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 06-02-2016 at 12:52 PM.
06-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
So, if one person who shows up after a long wait is willing to pay the high price that nobody else is willing to pay (as implied by the lower auction bids), you take that price to represent the actual value of the item?
We can't really say that "nobody else" is wiling to pay more for that lens, when it has only been seen by a limited number of eyes.

My wife and I go to auctions all the time, and we frequently win items with bids that are far below the actual value of the item. I've even had good luck winning no-reserve auctions on eBay, and then relisting the item as a Buy-it-Now at its true value, and making a tidy profit in the process.

But other days there are no deals to be had at the auction, because there are certain knowledgeable buyers in attendance. That's just the way it goes...auctions are unpredictable and unreliable.

My wife sells antique dolls, and when a doll is particularly rare, and there is a limited pool of potential buyers, then it is absolutely true that running a 7-day no-reserve eBay auction can result in the item going for much less than it would otherwise, because the auction may be over before the target buyers even find it. And for an auction, it's not enough having one motivated buyer...you actually need to have at least two bidders going against each other to approach the true vale. Getting the maximum price for an esoteric item is all about connecting with the right buyer, and sometimes that takes much longer than 7 days.

For an item that has a large pool of buyers, however, then an eBay auction does seem to be a fairly reliable way of determining the street value, since there will be multiple bidders who are motivated and are educated on the item, and who will bid the item up until it is approaching the maximum value. Nobody likes to see a bargain get away from them!

Well, that escalated quickly!

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I don't know.
Sellers have to do whatever is necessary to attract buyers. Sellers who are irritable and rude run buyers away rather than attract them. I guess if what you are selling is irresistible and powerfully desirable, you can be as rude as you like (soup nazi??), but in general, sellers have to be accommodating and gracious.
This seller doesn't even know much about photography, since this lens will certainly work great on a Pentax K-1!
Please don't think that I'm condoning his rudeness. I absolutely agree with you on that point. He comes across as a jerk, and I would be loathe to give him my business if I had any other choice. I was speaking strictly to the shipping charges.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-02-2016 at 01:22 PM.
06-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The buyer and seller must intersect in place and time. That's why auction houses such as Christies and Sotheby's produce glossy auction catalogs and make the actual auctions an 'Event.' They need to find (notify) interested bidders and bring them to the auction.

(mrs. monochrome is an inveterate bidder on certain categories of a antique furniture and rugs).
06-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The buyer and seller must intersect in place and time. That's why auction houses such as Christies and Sotheby's produce glossy auction catalogs and make the actual auctions an 'Event.' They need to find (notify) interested bidders and bring them to the auction.

(mrs. monochrome is an inveterate bidder on certain categories of a antique furniture and rugs).
Good point. And the "glossy catalogs" remind me of something else...presentation matters. I've bought items on eBay that had crappy pictures, and poor descriptions, and sold for lower than they should have. I get them, take nicer pictures and make a detailed listing, and I get much more for the same item.

If I were selling this lens, I would have much better product pictures, and I would include some nice sample images. And I wouldn't go out of my way to insult potential buyers. Salesmanship matters, even on eBay auctions.
06-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Yet somehow people still go on SGW and overpay for non-guaranteed items with really crappy pictures...
What is SGW?

Snark aside, though, I do find I am able to move items much more quickly when I take nice photos with a strobe. I have, however, had users return items because I "made them look better than they really do." Mind you, these were unretouched photos, and I provide high res photos from all angles.
Ha ha, I guess some people are just never happy. I think they would have a hard time winning that argument with eBay though.

I sure hope they never eat at McDonald's, or any other restaurant, and expect their food to look as good as it does in the pictures!

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-02-2016 at 01:46 PM.
06-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #44
Pentaxian

ShopGoodWill
Oh yeah, I don't go there very often, but I haven't been blown away by the deals there in the past. I prefer going to my local Goodwill Outlet, where you pay by the pound!

Snark aside, though, I do find I am able to move items much more quickly when I take nice photos with a strobe.
I've shared this before, but I get a kick out of it, just because of how bad the cell phone photo is. Sometimes I'll take pity on my friends and family and take pictures of something they're selling. For example, here's a picture my father-in-law took with his cell phone for a figurine he was putting on eBay, followed by the picture I took for him. I guess you gotta give him credit for trying, with the seamless green background, but it just wasn't working:

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-02-2016 at 01:45 PM.
06-02-2016, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
Could it be that guy who started this thread?
You certainly did. He even called me Tommy when I asked my question.