Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I was out walking today and came upon a shot I would have liked to have taken. Unfortunately I had a prime lens on the camera and it was not correct for the situation. The result was no photo.

While returning home, I became confused. I didn't know whether I should be upset for missing the shot or thankful that I didn't have a zoom on the camera which would have resulted in an inferior image (everyone knows the IQ of a prime is superior to that of a zoom).

So here I am in a conundrum somewhat similar to the age-old question "Is it better to have loved and lost than never loved at all?"

I guess my quandary could be phrased thusly: "Is it better to have clicked with a lesser image quality than never to have clicked at all?"

Alas, any time I get philosophical, I get confused. Your thoughts are welcome.
I think for one you are under estimating the sharpness of a decent zoom. Secondly the content of the image, (the lighting, the composition, etc) as well as the actual subject matter will more than offset any perceived 'inferior' shots that you think you might have...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my primes... but it's better to get the shot than not.

But that said in your original question you left out a lot of things that make an image important or great.

I don't claim to know all the answers and I am still coming up with a way to incorporate my love for primes with other styles of shooting. For travel for example odds are I might not even take primes with me anymore... I am undecided on that though.

But overall if the situation is fluid... then go for the zoom.

06-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I might not even take primes with me anymore...
My "Ladies" would certainly have something to say about that...
06-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
My "Ladies" would certainly have something to say about that...
I am a prime lens fanatic but the logistics of shooting while doing my kind of travel tends to lean a whole lot more on zooms now.

Next time I go out I will get one of those waterproof diver's bags and drop the 24-70 and the K-1 in there and call it a day

Honestly I probably would take the three amigos with me just in case because in different situations they would come in handy and they don't weigh too much... but I know on this last trip 99% of my shots were done with the 16-85mm... and a lot of that was around logistics. I would have loved to shoot primes all day long but it didn't work out like that for me.
06-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I've wondered the same after I picked up a cheap zoom and decided that I can afford to miss a few shots as long as I'm not paid to get the shot.
May just have got a local assignment today. doh!

06-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From forum member and pro LaurenOE:

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ok, I just got my DFA* 70-200 f/2.8

If this lens is what is to come, from Pentax star lenses, then I am beyond pleased!
This lens was delayed...and if the sharpness and color or whatever was tweaked in that time, then it says a few things about the folks over at Pentax.

Unbelievable how sharp this lens is.
I am speechless in how optically this lens is.

Well done.
Worth every penny.
I can't believe how tack sharp this lens is.

06-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I posted the original comments as a joke. Obviously no one understood that. So I posted again and said as much. Given the continued serious responses, the second post didn't seem to matter, so I posted a third time saying that it was supposed to be some silly fun. But you guys are still responding with seriousness.

I still can't understand what about the following paragraph would be taken seriously by anyone.
QuoteQuote:
While returning home, I became confused. I didn't know whether I should be upset for missing the shot or thankful that I didn't have a zoom on the camera which would have resulted in an inferior image (everyone knows the IQ of a prime is superior to that of a zoom).
06-01-2016, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People are now addressing posts in this thread other than yours, Aggie.

You're the guy who yelled 'Fire!' in the crowded theatre. ☺
06-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I posted the original comments as a joke. Obviously no one understood that. So I posted again and said as much. Given the continued serious responses, the second post didn't seem to matter, so I posted a third time saying that it was supposed to be some silly fun. But you guys are still responding with seriousness.
I'm sure some are simply looking at the first post in the thread and then responding to it. I've been guilty of doing that before, I have to admit.

06-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

You're the guy who yelled 'Fire!' in the crowded theatre. ☺
It is so much more fun to see the person trampled for your line instead of a real fire. See its humor again.
The chicken or the egg; the zoom or the prime? All shots, HA! or some shots? What shots? Left fish blue fish. Big pond small pond........
06-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
It is so much more fun to see the person trampled for your line instead of a real fire. See its humor again.
The chicken or the egg; the zoom or the prime? All shots, HA! or some shots? What shots? Left fish blue fish. Big pond small pond........

Unfortunately, we get posts from time to time like Aggie's, but earnest.

Best not to 'name and shame'.
06-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Surely the correct response to the OP is "Yep,good one" and move on?
06-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #42
Pentaxian

The problem, AggieDad, besides some responders not seeing that the Prime vs. Zoom issue was a joke ( I read it was from the emoticons posted there ), is that, as a "philosophical question," how to feel about missing a shot IS sometimes a SERIOUS issue for some of us photographers. Can someone get overwrought over it? Yes! Someone who misses the picture of a special event that one went to just to get THAT shot might be especially self-peaved. I'm not as likely as some others to go that route, as I have long cultivated the art of low expectations, but others might develop a simmering psychological crisis or even a public meltdown.

For persons with that sort of tendency, photography stretches all around them like a veritable minefield. Just imagine, that while I am missing a particular photo -- that is shouting to my psyche to be taken -- because I can't get myself to the location where my prime lens could take that photo..., at the very SAME TIME I am missing three photos I could have taken with my prime lens which I never noticed because they are behind me and I am not paying attention to them caught in the other image's siren call. And then how can I sleep at night, when it dawns on me that on the other side of the globe the light is just right for taking my favorite kind of picture, when I am stuck in the un-sunned hemisphere of the earth! All over the universe, at every moment, numbering more than hundreds of times the number of breaths I will take in my lifetime, are the pictures I could have taken, that I should have taken, and did not. What a shameful existence I am leading. Woe is me.

Has a survey yet been done to determine what percentage of photographers a prone to falling into such a pit of despair? Should not one of the camera manufactures pay for such a study? Why are those who could do the most about this waiting on the sidelines? Must it fall to us as individuals to look around and watch for the tell-tale signs among our brother and sister photographers who might be on the verge?

.......Maybe, yes.....OR -- anyone who has felt this tendency could just take up f i s h i n g ! Fishing is one of the best ways to develop and embrace the state of delayed (even semi-permanently delayed) gratification. Just imagine what happens on the typical fishing trip: you arrive at your destination and drop by the local tackle and bait shop, and what do you hear? "Oh, you shoulda been here last week. They were bitin' last week." Or you get out to the shoreline, or in a boat, and find out that you brought the wrong kind of equipment for the kind of fish people are currently catching (does that sound familiar?), and your fishing trip turns out to be a workshop in casting practice. Of course you could buy more equipment (does that sound familiar?), but then, since you now own more than you can take at one time (does that sound familiar?), how do you know what selection of equipment will be right for the next fishing outing? "Oh you brought surface lures? Too bad, they're only biting on jigs trolled 40 feet deep this week!"

If fishing doesn't help you with your lost photography shot despair -- if your condition is that serious, try becoming a Chicago Cubs baseball fan. You'll be bullet-proof to the attacks of missed-photo despair after that.
06-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote

If fishing doesn't help you with your lost photography shot despair -- if your condition is that serious, try becoming a Chicago Cubs baseball fan. You'll be bullet-proof to the attacks of missed-photo despair after that.
Yes, I have read that government officials will try to intervene if parents attempt to raise a child as a Cubs fan ... considered a cruel and unusual treatment. ☺

06-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess my quandary could be phrased thusly: "Is it better to have clicked with a lesser image quality than never to have clicked at all?"
How many photos are in your archives?

How often do you go back and peruse old stuff from, say, four years ago? Presuming that answer is greater than never, would this one have been somehow emotionally stirring four years from now?

Do you print photos and hang them on the wall? If so, how long do they usually stay up before you replace them? Would this have been one of those?

Do you give away/sell your photos? Would this have been one of those?

What was the subject, anyway? Is it something you can go back and shoot later, or is the opportunity lost forever?