Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Philosophic Question

I was out walking today and came upon a shot I would have liked to have taken. Unfortunately I had a prime lens on the camera and it was not correct for the situation. The result was no photo.

While returning home, I became confused. I didn't know whether I should be upset for missing the shot or thankful that I didn't have a zoom on the camera which would have resulted in an inferior image (everyone knows the IQ of a prime is superior to that of a zoom).

So here I am in a conundrum somewhat similar to the age-old question "Is it better to have loved and lost than never loved at all?"

I guess my quandary could be phrased thusly: "Is it better to have clicked with a lesser image quality than never to have clicked at all?"

Alas, any time I get philosophical, I get confused. Your thoughts are welcome.

05-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But you knew that when you went out with a prime, AggieDad? ☺

Zooms are the 'usual' lens for ILCs around the world.

Here in Pentax land we quite like primes, accept their disadvantages and can carry a number of them to give options when we're out and about.

I carry primes when I think the subjects are amenable to a slower workflow, zooms when things are more dynamic, like an event.

I can't stand missed shots, others will have greater tolerances/skills.

Last edited by clackers; 05-31-2016 at 07:48 PM.
05-31-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better to have a crappy image than nothing!
05-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
You could get a decent zoom. Most people will not notice or care about any difference in IQ.

05-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or thankful that I didn't have a zoom on the camera which would have resulted in an inferior image (everyone knows the IQ of a prime is superior to that of a zoom).
Sounds kind of snobbish for those of us that prefer zooms for the type of photography we do.

Last edited by csa; 05-31-2016 at 08:30 PM.
05-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm's done some very interesting blind tests ... stopped down to focal lengths like f5.6 or f8, people looking at your photos will have a hard time telling whether they were from a prime or a zoom.

Biz-engineer's done similar to show how difficult it is to tell apart an image taken with a full frame or APS-C camera.

The good news? Ultimately, your skills, the light, the location and the subject impact how your picture turns out, and none of those come in the box of the D FA 70-200.
05-31-2016, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh my. Apparently my tongue was not far enough in my cheek when I wrote this.

It was meant to be a bit of evening satire, but it is painfully obvious from the responses that I failed.

Apparently any talk of lenses (even in the General Talk section) is serious business.

Mea culpa.

05-31-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

even in the General Talk section
And doesn't belong in that section as the Sticky says, no photographic discussions are to be posted in General Talk. Moved to General Photography.
05-31-2016, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know that prime lenses seem like a religion (or cult?) to some. To feel shame from doubting the tenets of your religion is perfectly natural.

And the heathens are all around, tempting you. . . tempting. . .
05-31-2016, 10:41 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is an art to taking out one brush, and not the whole set, and to say I am going to paint this thing with this brush, and this brush only. Do I have the "what if" conversation in my head when Iʻm out with my prime? I am a firm believer in the left and right brain theory. If my left brain is asking analytical questions like "idiot, shouldʻve brought the zoom" then I ignore the noise and go with my right brain that isnʻt thinking and analyzing the past of not bringing the zoom or the future of bringing it next time.

When Iʻm in "the zone", itʻs all right brain spatial, aesthetics, lots of gut reaction and decisions. When Iʻm there, the doubts donʻt get very far....mainly because they are ruining the moment. Iʻve also learned from experience that negativity is a self-fulfilling prophecy...as is belief that you can and you will and something great will be seen and be captured. My primes help me be in the moment, and that is way more important to seeing for me than the alternative.

Another analogy might be fishing with one lure vs. a net. For sure the net is going to catch everything, and I can throw half of the fish back in the water. But if Iʻm hunting for one prize, then itʻs one lure, and if I put on the wrong lure, then Iʻll learn from it and go fishing again another day. The fish will always be there.....unless everyone on this planet uses nets!!!
05-31-2016, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I reckon the best thing is you were out walking, which is generally considered good for your health.

I walk too, most times with a prime on my K-3 and sometimes a zoom - depending on where I am walking, and what I anticipate seeing. Sometimes I miss something further away due to having a wide angle prime on the camera. But I think it is better to have done the walk and enjoyed the exercise, than get every possible shot that presents.
05-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Missing a shot or no missing a shot isn't the question, because you never know what better shot opportunity will come in the future. Let it go and concentrate on your next photo opportunity.
05-31-2016, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh my. Apparently my tongue was not far enough in my cheek when I wrote this.

It was meant to be a bit of evening satire, but it is painfully obvious from the responses that I failed.

Apparently any talk of lenses (even in the General Talk section) is serious business.

Mea culpa.

Okay, Don, maybe we're a bit slow on the uptake, but the four emoticons you used were 'Eek', 'Confused', 'Frown' and 'Suspicious', while the only Jonathan Swift style exaggeration was 'everyone knows the IQ of a prime is superior to that of a zoom'.

I reckon you didn't flag your satire enough, personally, but alternatively, we're not the sharpest tools in the shed!
05-31-2016, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
but alternatively, we're not the sharpest tools in the shed!
There's a shed????
05-31-2016, 11:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don,

To get back to your original question: my answer is an undoubted 'yes'. On several occasions when I haven't had the reflex with me (20-40 mounted, of course! &#128521, I've used my iPh*ne and PPed it. The old tenet that 'the best camera in the world is the one you have with you' holds true.

😃

P.s. Writing this on said iPh*ne; no idea why it inserted a code in the above brackets! Gremlins, probably.