Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While the original phrasing might have been tongue-in-cheek, I'm not sure that it isn't a subject that deserves wider consideration - not on the IQ of zooms vs primes, but on the do you or don't you front.I know that here are lots of pictures I know even as I take them that I will never 'use' (as in print, submit for publication, competitions etc) but I still take them - mostly to remind myself not to be so lazy next time! It is very frustrating to have a great scene and the wrong lens - I once found myself in South Africa having nipped out to the local game area to take some early morning snaps of wildlife, but it was dull and foggy - and not in a good way - so I drove to a more elevated place, came out above the heavy mist, and looked out on a sea of cloud skimmed by the sun with the conical hill-tops poking through like islands - and only a 400mm lens!!! ;(((

Some shots are about content, not IQ, and whatever lens you have on your camera is better than none at all, but as you know there are some scenes that you might never see again, if you're like to be annoyed about missing them, then you really should take a reasonable coverage of focal lengths - or just enjoy the experience, which most of us would find the hardest option

06-01-2016, 01:15 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
So here I am in a conundrum somewhat similar to the age-old question "Is it better to have loved and lost than never loved at all?"
I curse the fact that Alfred Tennyson penned this phrase, because it is complete and utter rubbish. Ignorance truly is bliss - if you never truly love something, you will never know the utterly body, mind and soul destroying experience of when it is lost.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Better to have a crappy image than nothing!
I'd rather nothing than a crappy image.Anyway, we can hold the memory of a perfect instance...I'd rather that, than a sub-standard depiction of it.
06-01-2016, 02:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Adversity Makes you stronger, A prime forces your to find alternative solutions, making you a stronger photographer.
A zoom is like a microwave dinner, convenient but hardly satisfying to anyone who has tasted real food.
As for missing shots because you have a prime, thats like being in france and having to limit yourself to one patisserie stop per day when you have a sweet tooth! Painful yet essential for health!
06-01-2016, 02:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tongue in cheek or not, it's actually an interesting topic!

I've wondered the same after I picked up a cheap zoom and decided that I can afford to miss a few shots as long as I'm not paid to get the shot.
I still must add that the IQ of said zoom wasn't extraordinary and that I'd surely buy one that produces a clear image if the need arises. I'd not use it as a walkaround lens though otherwise I would miss the joy I get from my primes.

If there's really a shot I want to get and haven't got a lens that is wide enough I'd use my phone.

I must say, I've missed far more shots not being able to focus in time than having the wrong lens with me though!

06-01-2016, 03:55 AM   #20
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
it is painfully obvious from the responses that I failed
Not necessarily

Still, I'd point out that one can dispose of a bad image, but one cannot resurrect a non-existent one. So, shoot with what you have, then decide whether or not it's worth keeping.
06-01-2016, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your initial conundrum could be posed as a general "I left a critical piece of gear at home" question rather than invoking the inflammatory "prime vs zoom" question.

Outside of 'record shots' of some rare or unusual insect/animal/flower/whatever (taken and kept for my own notes, only to be shown to extreme enthusiasts who would have found the encounter interesting), I'll take no photo over a crappy one, just enjoy the moment, and then look ahead to the next opportunity. For me, every encounter with the world doesn't have to result in a photo, and I try not to waste time mourning 'missed' photos.
06-01-2016, 05:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I reckon the best thing is you were out walking, which is generally considered good for your health. I walk too, most times with a prime on my K-3 and sometimes a zoom - depending on where I am walking, and what I anticipate seeing.
I usually take the Q7 Premium Kit. Then I have the 01 normal lens, 02 standard zoom, 03 fisheye, 06 telephoto zoom and the 08 wide zoom lenses in this tiny bag. This ensures that my photographic subjects always have plenty of time to wander off while I'm sorting through the lenses and trying to swap on the most suited one.

06-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This is an interesting discussion...

I would answer than when I go out with only a prime, it's because I already have a pretty good idea of the kind of shots I want and what I try to achieve. And I'm focusing on this goal, not on what I could have done if I used other lenses... So, I don't really feel like I'm missing a shot, simply because I'm not looking for it...

On the other hand, if I'm just going on a walk without any specific goal in mind, I usually left the primes at home and bring 2-3 zooms, and even add a flash if I feel I may need it. So, I rarely feel I miss an opportunity in this situation because there isn't much that can't be done...

And if photography isn't the main goal of the outing, or don't feel like carrying a lot of gear, I just bring a small bag with a Q and a few lenses. IQ is more than good enough for opportunity shots... You don't always need stellar IQ to make a good picture...
06-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I think it really depends on the image. Some photos can be taken with various lenses. Some photos/motifs really requite a very specific type of lens (for the reach, or UWA, or fisheye, or the bokeh character, for the contrast character, etc.).
I usually only carry primes, don't even have a high quality zoom. For me, a lost photo is.. well, bittersweet. I don't really get upset, because I know there will be many other photos. And I kind of like to cherish a memory, or just the idea of a photo that could have been, but never will be.
Of course, it is a little different if you are on an assignment and really need a specific photograph. If you are taking a photo of a president or some special object or animal, then you must come prepared. And this includes some gear that you probably won't need, but you might

Generally I know what kind of photos I will want to take, and I bring along the primes that let me take them
06-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I probably would have taken a shot anyways just because pixels are cheap and reusable. Then I might at least remember the moment.

But either way, even if you have the "right" lens with you, that doesn't guarantee you will get the shot every time. Sometimes the camera is in your bag when a fleeting moment occurs. Or there's a solar eclipse on a rainy day. You can't win them all. Just keep walking along and waiting for opportunity to meet preparedness.
06-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
A zoom is like a microwave dinner, convenient but hardly satisfying to anyone who has tasted real food.
Wow! Guess I'll take my zooms and go hide in the corner. Didn't realize there was such distaste for zooms.

Basicly, all primes, or all zooms do not fit everyone's needs. We have to use what will get us the desired results that WE are happy with. If we are pleased, then what we use, we don't consider less quality of other lenses. Also price comes into play; not everyone (including me) can afford the big prices for premium glass!

Last edited by csa; 06-01-2016 at 08:34 AM.
06-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It is very frustrating to have a great scene and the wrong lens - I once found myself in South Africa having nipped out to the local game area to take some early morning snaps of wildlife, but it was dull and foggy - and not in a good way - so I drove to a more elevated place, came out above the heavy mist, and looked out on a sea of cloud skimmed by the sun with the conical hill-tops poking through like islands - and only a 400mm lens!!! ;(((
I may joke a bit about the Q7, but I adore it, and it gives me great confidence to have that little bag over my shoulder with five (5!) lenses and every possible situation covered.
06-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tony, I'm becoming very fond of my Q; even though I only have the 01 and 06 so far. Great little cameras that give a "big camera" image!
06-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
everyone knows the IQ of a prime is superior to that of a zoom
Not for a long time now.
06-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Wow! Guess I'll take my zooms and go hide in the corner. Didn't realize there was such distaste for zooms.

Basicly, all primes, or all zooms do not fit everyone's needs. We have to use what will get us the desired results that WE are happy with. If we are pleased, then what we use, we don't consider less quality of other lenses. Also price comes into play; not everyone (including me) can afford the big prices for premium glass!
Well the joke's on me.

I started the thread in a silly moment and thought it was a clever (obviously not) little parody on the seemingly endless prime vs zoom discussions that seem to pop up on the site.

Instead, I apparently caused yet another! Sometimes we do, indeed, take ourselves very (maybe a bit too) seriously.