Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung SDXC SD card

Does anyone have experience with Samsung SD cards ? I was searching for a 64gb sd card for my K3 and ran up on a good deal on some Samsung 64gb Pro and Pro+ cards but have only used PNY, Transcend and SanDisk.

06-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is what I have in my K-01 and it works great!
06-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use Transcend, Class 10, UHS-1, 60 MB/s, SDHC cards. I have never used the Samsung though.
06-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been fine the last year or so with a Samsung 64Gb Pro card in slot 1 of my K-3. No file corruptions, no physical deterioration of the card, seems snappy with write times (I save as images as DNG RAW files on slot 1). I tend not to torture my cards with long bursts of continuous shooting so cannot really comment on the Samsung performance under extreme write load vs other fast cards.

Write times do deteriorate a bit combining a card in slot 1 with an Eye-Fi card in slot 2 (I write smallish JPEGS to this card for wifi tfr to portable devices while travelling) as the write to two cards is done sequentially rather than in parallel and the Eye-Fi card speed isn't all that fast (manufacturer doesn't state write speeds for the Eye-Fi card I have other than stating it is Class 10. Class 10 however covers a very broad church of write speeds and I suspect my Eye-Fi card is now at the lower end of what's in the market (it is now 3+ years old).

Hope that helps...

06-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Samsung has good ratings with the K-3II in this comparison article.

Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards
06-02-2016, 02:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks
06-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am also confused why all the 64gb cards made by all manufactures are faster than their 32gb cards of the same type
06-05-2016, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I am also confused why all the 64gb cards made by all manufactures are faster than their 32gb cards of the same type
In a way SD-cards work like small SSDs (where what you say is true; larger models of the same generation/tech are faster than smaller): They consist of several smaller data storage units internally where data is written to/read from in parallel to several of them at the time. So for larger cards/ssds, they simply use more of the same kind of internal unit, and having more of them to write to in parallel results in faster speeds.

(For example if having a write speed of 5mb/s per "unit", four of them would mean 20mb/s can be written while 8 units would allow 40 mb/s, given that the other parts are designed to handle that data throughput)