Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #1

Worst Experience with Adorama

Well this is a rant but I do need to vent out. So excuse me. This is my worst experience ever from any renowned online retailer.

I ordered a NEW $1000 lens (Pentax 31mm limited) with overnight shipping 2 days back only to find out yesterday that order was cancelled by "mistake". No email about cancellation I found out when I followed up to check why I haven't received the delivery.

Well mistakes happen, so Adorama apologized and agreed to overnight free if i place a new order, meaning a new charge on card while awaiting refund for original order. I thought a small bump but all is well but unfortunately ordeal did not end there...hence this thread

After placing a new order again, I received the lens today morning only to find out lens received was USED with missing lens cap and fingerprints on front element.

So I contacted again, Adorama asked for the photo which I provided. After "checking" Adorama decided to add more insult and offered $10 off for accepting $1000 used lens instead of new which I had ordered, no word on warranty. Other option? Well send it it back for replacement which can take 6-8 days as they do not have stock or get a refund.

On the positive note though, all agents I spoke to were polite and were genuinely trying to help. So looks like an issue beyond what front desk is empowered to do.

I really really miss B&M shopping experience :-(

06-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see that the order did have a missing lens cap and fingerprints on the lens was not standard practice. I ordered a JTL equipment bag from Adorama recently and the bag that was sent was not what was portrayed on the Adorama site for the product. I was also offered a discount if I had wanted to hold on to the incorrect item, but refused it because it was not what I wanted. Aside from that I was sent a shipping label to send the item back (free shipping) and was fully refunded, so I am thankful to their customer service in that way. I do not know if they were sent the wrong item by the manufacturer or what happened, but in the end the matter was settled and I was not at a loss.
06-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun. You guys got me to check the D FA 28-105mm that I recently ordered from Adorama; the box had been sitting from my desk for a few days. Thankfully, it's brand new and I could tell the box had never been opened.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sagar Quote
So I contacted again, Adorama asked for the photo which I provided. After "checking" Adorama decided to add more insult and offered $10 off for accepting $1000 used lens instead of new which I had ordered, no word on warranty. Other option? Well send it it back for replacement which can take 6-8 days as they do not have stock or get a refund.
Are you saying that they did not offer to provide a call tag (prepaid return) for the wrong-item-sent along with cancellation of the original with full full refund? That is highly irregular. @Helen Oster; (Adorama customer service) monitors this site. With any luck she will drop in.

Steve

06-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
Adorama Camera Representative

Well this is a rant but I do need to vent out. So excuse me. This is my worst experience ever from any renowned online retailer.

I ordered a NEW $1000 lens (Pentax 31mm limited) with overnight shipping 2 days back only to find out yesterday that order was cancelled by "mistake". No email about cancellation I found out when I followed up to check why I haven't received the delivery.

Well mistakes happen, so Adorama apologized and agreed to overnight free if i place a new order, meaning a new charge on card while awaiting refund for original order. I thought a small bump but all is well but unfortunately ordeal did not end there...hence this thread

After placing a new order again, I received the lens today morning only to find out lens received was USED with missing lens cap and fingerprints on front element.

On the positive note though, all agents I spoke to were polite and were genuinely trying to help. So looks like an issue beyond what front desk is empowered to do.

Really very deeply concerned to see this. Can you please email me at an early opportunity: Helen@adorama.com with your order number. Please accept my sincere apologies for the frustration and disappointment caused, and I very much look forward to hearing from you.
06-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So far my experiwnce with Adorama is acceptable, i order a DFA70-200 with them, pay trough PayPal... Everything was ok until i realize i make a mistake in the address, i contact them via livechat and thay say they will correct the address... Later that day; They sent me a mail saying they will cancel the order if i do not call them the same day before 7pm or so, they send me the mail like 10min before that... Oh well, i call next day by 11am, as im not in the USA and im very rusted with my english (+10 years without speaking it) it was a fun call for me (maybe both of us) but i manage to autorize the order. They didnt correct the address and UPS delay the delivery 2 days.. But the item was the correct and everything was new

I like more the "confirm order" from B&H, they send me a mail saying reply this mail, literaly respond, "I confirm my order #+×÷=%" and that was all.

06-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Helen, I emailed you the details.

For everyone else, I am NOT bashing Adorama they have been wonderful on all my transaction and thanks to them I am proud owner of K-1 and I am waiting for 77mm delivery

If Adorama would have accepted they shipped a wrong item and requested for return for refund, I would have still frustrated but would have shipped it back w/o creating this thread. (they did offer this as other option) What really pissed me off is offering $10 to keep a used lens at the same price as new which is $1000

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Really very deeply concerned to see this. Can you please email me at an early opportunity: Helen@adorama.com with your order number. Please accept my sincere apologies for the frustration and disappointment caused, and I very much look forward to hearing from you.

06-02-2016, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that. I have ordered from Adorama before and never experienced anything like that. Although my go to online company is mostly B&H. B&H sets the standard for service excellence.
06-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

...What really pissed me off is offering $10 to keep a used lens at the same price as new which is $1000[/B]
I do understand - and would like to try to put this into context. Once a week, together with our senior sales and CS Managers, I listen to a selection of CS calls. We discuss how the team member responded to the customer / any additional training needs etc. (I came out of this week's meeting about the time you posted your complaint, which is why it is particularly relevant).
Our team members on the 'phones are trained to respond to an almost infinite number of scenarios and possibilities, but it doesn't mean that occasionally an individual rep won't make a wrong call. The offer of $10 to keep the lens seems to me to have possibly been not the best judgement call.....

Thank you for sending me your order details; from what I can see, the replacement was actually a brand new item, not used, and there are a number of different reasons which could explain why the lens cap was missing and there were visible fingerprints.

I've messaged the shipping manager to request further info on this unit, and will get back to you via email as soon as I have an update.
06-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
Helen, Thank you again.

To reiterate nothing against agent, as I mentioned in my OP, all of them were very polite and were genuinely trying to help.
Will await update from you over email

Regards
Sagar

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I do understand - and would like to try to put this into context. Once a week, together with our senior sales and CS Managers, I listen to a selection of CS calls. We discuss how the team member responded to the customer / any additional training needs etc. (I came out of this week's meeting about the time you posted your complaint, which is why it is particularly relevant).
Our team members on the 'phones are trained to respond to an almost infinite number of scenarios and possibilities, but it doesn't mean that occasionally an individual rep won't make a wrong call. The offer of $10 to keep the lens seems to me to have possibly been not the best judgement call.....

Thank you for sending me your order details; from what I can see, the replacement was actually a brand new item, not used, and there are a number of different reasons which could explain why the lens cap was missing and there were visible fingerprints.

I've messaged the shipping manager to request further info on this unit, and will get back to you via email as soon as I have an update.
06-02-2016, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well this is a rant but I do need to vent out.
I think that was the most polite, least hostile rant I've ever read.
06-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry to Hear

Sorry to hear about the troubles, but also very glad that Adorama has a present here at PF. I had a question about Adobe CC a few weeks back and emailed Helen. She got back to me that day and had the man in charge call me.

I've never had a problem with Adorama, but big issues with B&H and Amazon. B&H did what they felt was the right thing for them & me. I didn't feel the same, but after a few months, I went back to buying products from them. B&M is nice. Get a hands on feel. However, we live in a new age and not adapting to it leaves very little choices in the end.
06-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
Forum Member

Not wanting to derail this with a general retailer bashing but B&H also has dubious employment practices and is under litigation I believe.

However my experiences with Adorama have been very good so far (except for an ebay "make offer" which they just rejected - boohoo ! ). I prefer them over B&H. Wish they had Sensei step up rings, maybe they do and I just couldn't find them

Very nice to see Helen jump in here at the forums and offer to help - big thumbs up.

cheers
06-02-2016, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by freddyisaac Quote
but B&H also has dubious employment practices and is under litigation I believe.
Obviously pertinent to this thread.

Steve
06-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #15

Original Poster
Unfortunately it does not solve or help me in anyway and solution did not change even after Helen's intervention. Only difference is I got quick follow-up emails and a phone call. I have to return the lens using Adorama's shipping label and wait for replacement with a hope it will be indeed a new lens.

All in all I will be wasting 2 weeks for a lens I wanted and paid for overnight shipping (which later was waived off)

While not related it reminds me of contrasting amazing service from Leica Miami store. My brand new M had an issue and had to be returned and they did not have another one in stock. The guys first refunded ~$6000+ then sent me a label asking to return camera as per my convinience.