Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Countdown to my first solo show (in the Catskills) - June 19th

I'm 10 days away from my first solo (pop-up) show, and I'm excited and somewhat overwhelmed. About six months ago, I proposed the idea to the farm sanctuary where I volunteer as a photographer (Catskill Animal Sanctuary). They have a beautiful B&B type guesthouse (called The Homestead) open to their members, and I stay there regularly. So I suggested that we hold an open house/exhibition to promote the Homestead to local residents and businesses, and thank them for their business, while also raising money for the sanctuary's operations by selling prints, etc.

I've had some experience showing one-three photos in various juried shows in the region, and I've also done a portfolio review, so this seemed like a good step in the progression toward more professionally curated shows.

Some of the details:
- About 40 framed prints, in six sizes ranging from 5x7 (image size) to 16x20. (I wouldn't ordinarily show such a range of sizes but because this is a fundraiser, I wanted to offer people a wider range of purchase options.) The framed prints are signed on the back, plus there will be some matted, unsigned prints in small sizes as well.
- We're taking down the existing artwork in the house for the weekend, and putting mine up in its place. We'll need to add a few more hooks, and then I'll be displaying some smaller pieces just by propping them up or putting them on small easel stands.
- I'm doing the smaller prints myself but outsourced the 16x20s to a pro.
- My husband is doing all the framing, using frames we got from framedestination.com (great service).
- I'm packing the framed art in FD's gallery pouch bags, which are a bit spendy but reusable and much easier than wrapping and unwrapping bubble wrap etc.
- The Sanctuary is taking care of most of the promotion, the food/drink, sales, parking, etc.
- My husband and I are taking care of hanging the art, making labels and catalogs, co-hosting, framing and printing.
- Our cats are supervising all the work.
- We're taking about 30 of the pieces up to the Sanctuary this weekend, to get a head start on hanging the show. And then we'll finish the rest of it when we go up next weekend.
- To encourage people to attend, we'll offer some door prizes, with people getting one ticket for attending - with the possibility of buying more tickets to increase their chances of winning.
- I'll get reimbursed for my framing/printing costs but otherwise am taking on the associated costs (like car rental to get to and from the sanctuary etc) myself. Because it's for a good cause - and the boost for my ego

If there are any Pentaxians in the region (Saugerties, NY in the Catskills) who would like to attend the event on June 19th (afternoon), please let me know and I'll be happy to send you the invitation.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I'm 10 days away from my first solo (pop-up) show, and I'm excited and somewhat overwhelmed. About six months ago, I proposed the idea to the farm sanctuary where I volunteer as a photographer (Catskill Animal Sanctuary). They have a beautiful B&B type guesthouse (called The Homestead) open to their members, and I stay there regularly. So I suggested that we hold an open house/exhibition to promote the Homestead to local residents and businesses, and thank them for their business, while also raising money for the sanctuary's operations by selling prints, etc.

I've had some experience showing one-three photos in various juried shows in the region, and I've also done a portfolio review, so this seemed like a good step in the progression toward more professionally curated shows.

Some of the details:
- About 40 framed prints, in six sizes ranging from 5x7 (image size) to 16x20. (I wouldn't ordinarily show such a range of sizes but because this is a fundraiser, I wanted to offer people a wider range of purchase options.) The framed prints are signed on the back, plus there will be some matted, unsigned prints in small sizes as well.
- We're taking down the existing artwork in the house for the weekend, and putting mine up in its place. We'll need to add a few more hooks, and then I'll be displaying some smaller pieces just by propping them up or putting them on small easel stands.
- I'm doing the smaller prints myself but outsourced the 16x20s to a pro.
- My husband is doing all the framing, using frames we got from framedestination.com (great service).
- I'm packing the framed art in FD's gallery pouch bags, which are a bit spendy but reusable and much easier than wrapping and unwrapping bubble wrap etc.
- The Sanctuary is taking care of most of the promotion, the food/drink, sales, parking, etc.
- My husband and I are taking care of hanging the art, making labels and catalogs, co-hosting, framing and printing.
- Our cats are supervising all the work.
- We're taking about 30 of the pieces up to the Sanctuary this weekend, to get a head start on hanging the show. And then we'll finish the rest of it when we go up next weekend.
- To encourage people to attend, we'll offer some door prizes, with people getting one ticket for attending - with the possibility of buying more tickets to increase their chances of winning.
- I'll get reimbursed for my framing/printing costs but otherwise am taking on the associated costs (like car rental to get to and from the sanctuary etc) myself. Because it's for a good cause - and the boost for my ego

If there are any Pentaxians in the region (Saugerties, NY in the Catskills) who would like to attend the event on June 19th (afternoon), please let me know and I'll be happy to send you the invitation.
Hey, I'm just south in New Windsor! Please send me an invite. It is Father's Day though...

Regards,
06-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Hey, I'm just south in New Windsor! Please send me an invite. It is Father's Day though...

Regards,
That would be great if you could make it to show - I just sent you a PM.

And one of my portraits features the very famous Violet (of the video Violet Climbs a Rock fame) - not my video BTW