Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
...That will also help prevent your windows from blowing out if the inside of your car gets too hot...
Why? Hot weather will not break tempered auto glass. The glass can handle heat. If you're worried about air pressure, the car heats gradually and excess pressure sneaks out.

06-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Why? Hot weather will not break tempered auto glass
I've seen this happen to two people I know -- ultra-hot days, car in the sun, closed windows. In one case my friend was walking up to his car when the glass blew out. Could be that it's not air pressure but the glass expanding into a shape that causes it to crack.
06-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I've seen this happen to two people I know -- ultra-hot days, car in the sun, closed windows. In one case my friend was walking up to his car when the glass blew out. Could be that it's not air pressure but the glass expanding into a shape that causes it to crack.
Also happened to my family when I was a teenager. Our 89 Plymouth Voyager was parked behind the house on a sunny day when the rear window just shattered. It stayed in placed, spiderwebbed, because of the tint. There was a wheelchair folded up in the back. I wondered if the chrome frame of the wheelchair, which was only an inch or two away from the glass, played any part in the breakage by reflecting and focusing the sunlight onto a particular area.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-17-2016 at 09:49 AM.
06-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Our 89 Plymouth Voyager was parked behind the house on a sunny day when the rear window just shattered.
The rear window in our '86 Ford Aerostar blew out under the same circumstances. Unknown cause, but we were told by the glass people that that model had a tendency to do that. Cars don't seal well enough for air pressure to be the culprit. An Aerostar wouldn't float in a lake like the old VW Beetles.

06-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I certainly appreciate the mention of keeping my camera cool while stored in my hot Florida truck. My wife chided me for even having to be told about it. Yes I should know better. So now it stores in an old nondescript insulated lunch cooler from some mall. As a bonus now it would not attract attention from any would-be thief peering thru the window in some parking lot.

Many thanks to the OP.
06-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I've kept my Olympus XZ-1 in the car year round for the last 3 years, and so far it is still working perfectly, and is still one of the sharpest edge-to-edge camera/lenses I've ever used. Even so, I'll probably play it safe with my expensive camera gear.