Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I read technical articles in photo magazines (often Peterson's Photographic cover-to-cover) for a few decades (roughly starting in the mid-60s,) and I don't remember seeing the word bokeh, yet it's a concept quite easy to find on this forum.
That's because it's a term from the 1990s. goatsNdonkey.

You can read about it here:

https://luminous-landscape.com/bokeh-in-pictures/

07-06-2016, 01:04 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I think that, to some extent, this also relates to Pentax forums versus photography forums. If you don't focus on the technical side anymore, then the camera brand doesn't matter, and you are more into the process of taking a photo, e.g. something you can do with any camera brand. But I think the focus on Pentax here has a downside in that it can easily lead to technical discussions that in the end are not really relevant to photography.

I would almost go as far as saying, this is not a photography forum. It's a Pentax forum that deals with photography as a secondary thing.
07-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Discussions of bokeh did seem to arise around the time of all the gear discussion trends. It was just called blur or background blur before it rose to popularity. It's also a word primarily used when typed in a forum like this or written in a magazine. It's rarely heard verbally in photographic discussions, although I have heard it here and there at photo shoots I've attended in the past few years. Come to think of it, when it is brought up in person, it's always from that one photographer of the group known to be the tech/gear guy.
While bokeh is certainly one of those nearly intangible creative qualities contributing to a photograph, at the same time, it is often cited as a property of certain lenses! So it somehow seems to bridge the technical and creative!

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 08:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's because it's a term from the 1990s. goatsNdonkey.

You can read about it here:

https://luminous-landscape.com/bokeh-in-pictures/

clackers, thanks for the link to the info about the interesting origins of the term "bokeh." Fuzzy in Japanese. I think you would agree that having the term makes it easier to discuss this as a quality in pictures or as a property of lenses.

On the other hand, not having the term until the mid-1990s did not mean it was not already a quality of photography, particularly artistic photography, if not necessarily family snapshots or commercial photography. I have a book of photographs taken by Edward (Eduard) Steichen from 1895-1914, and in it many of the pictures seem to be about 99% fuzziness, and not because Steichen wasn't able to take sharp photos when he wanted to. Instead, he was using sharpness very sparingly to draw attention to a particular detail, while broad, very dark fuzzy sweeps of background often surrounded soft-focused figures and other shapes.

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 08:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I think that, to some extent, this also relates to Pentax forums versus photography forums. If you don't focus on the technical side anymore, then the camera brand doesn't matter, and you are more into the process of taking a photo, e.g. something you can do with any camera brand. But I think the focus on Pentax here has a downside in that it can easily lead to technical discussions that in the end are not really relevant to photography.

I would almost go as far as saying, this is not a photography forum. It's a Pentax forum that deals with photography as a secondary thing.
I get what you're saying but I can't quite get to your conclusion. The other photography forums and blogs I have visited seem to have just as much attention to equipment and technical issues and technique as I find here at Pentaxforums -- and some of them emphasize those areas somewhat more. Also, here, there are a lot of threads that surround the posting and discussion of pictures. Might some mention of the technical come up in those discussions, sure but so what? Nobody discusses Ansel Adams's pictures in depth without some discussion of his equipment, and particularly what he did in the darkroom. Even in the lens club threads, many strings of posts are people sharing pictures taken with a particular lens, but without much discussion of the technique, the focus remaining mainly on the pictures themselves.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 07-06-2016 at 06:36 AM.
07-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
. I have a book of photographs taken by Edward (Eduard) Steichen from 1895-1914, .
If you have a print of The Pond-Moonlight somewhere, gNd, I'll pay handsomely for it - $1000!

07-11-2016, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Do people get hung up these days on the features of their camera, rather than how to frame, light, and expose?
Ask not what you can do for your camera, ask what your camera can do for you?

Last edited by wildman; 07-11-2016 at 05:13 AM.
07-15-2016, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery