Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Super idiot thing

I'm not making excuses mind you. I'm a single dad that just changed jobs. ( my excuse ). I have a lot on my mind day to day.

It appears I put my FA 77 best lens ever saved for years to get, put it down and walked away.

I can't replace it within 3 years.

Going back over photos I tell myself " well your plastic fantastics pics really come out great ".

I tell myself that.

So I can sleep

But I think we know not nearly as great ....

06-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mate, I've done similar but leaving $100 cash in a machine is not as significant as losing an FA 77. That really sucks, but you never know, maybe there was a decent person who came along and handed it into the police. It's free to ask, and doing something to make up for an oversight is better than nothing.

And kudos to you as a single dad. You've clearly got your prioirities right if it will take you 3 years to save up for another one. So remember, losing your lens costs money for sure but decent people are priceless.

Do what you can to find your lens and put your name on the list for the travelling nifty 50. It can't hurt to play with that for a few days right?

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 06-19-2016 at 05:24 PM.
06-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

dang that stinks
06-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You should post the serial number here and in lost/found on craigslist. Maybe someone will find it. I left a camera with an F2.8 zoom on a heathrow express once, and it came back to me after 3 months. A friend called up the security, they located the bag, gave it to hear, and it eventually made its way back to me, from the UK to Spain.

06-20-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

and put it on lenstag.com
i have all my gear on lenstag... (even the not in my signature listed items)
06-20-2016, 01:35 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I'm not making excuses mind you. I'm a single dad who just changed jobs...my excuse. I have a lot on my mind day to day.

It appears I put my FA 77--best lens ever--saved for years to get--down and walked away. I can't replace it within 3 years. Going back over photos I tell myself "well your plastic fantastics pics really come out great". I tell myself that. So I can sleep.

But I think we know not nearly as great ....
Pls do let us know how this turns out.
06-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffreybehr Quote
Pls do let us know how this turns out.
Try Stolen Camera finder at Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera. I have not used it myself so do not know if can help with lenses, but it could be worth giving it look see.

06-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
and put it on lenstag.com
i have all my gear on lenstag... (even the not in my signature listed items)
I emphatically agree. I, as well, have all my gear registered on www.lenstag.com. It doesn't take very long to do, IT'S FREE, and they have already demonstrated their usefulness. Even BorrowLenses and LensRentals have their gear registered with them.

I have no personal stake in Lenstag, I just think that it is a really good idea. I hate to see it when anybody loses, or has stolen, any of their gear.
06-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my co-workers prowls the Raleigh pawnshops and craigslist for gear (Canon, but he's a good guy in spite of it ). I asked him to keep an eye out for a Pentax 77 - there can't be many of them around the Triangle.
06-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear about that. Hope you are able to recover the lens. I would be crying if I lost my 77 (price aside, it is one of my favorite lenses).

This stuff happens.

We were in Canyonlands a few years ago at the Visitor's Center. Someone come in and informed the ranger that they just found a camera at one of the overlooks and placed a shiny new Nikon D-200 on the counter. At least it was found by someone who was apparently honest and wanted to do the right thing.
07-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear about your loss Mike.It has prompted me to register my gear with Lenstag and hopefully more will follow suit.Good luck with getting your lens back,try trawling fleabay you may find your lens and be able to appeal to the sellers better nature.I managed to track down a bike which was stolen a few years back and recovered it with the assistance of the police(different circumstances,I know)