Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did anybody get a post-Brexit-vote Photo bargain on price or shipping from the UK?

(This seemed far to general of a question to really fit in any of the forum's Marketplace section categories, so I hope this most general of photography discussion categories is okay.)

With the British Pound dropping in value recently, it necessarily affected the conversion rates between it and the USD and other currencies. So did any Pentaxians discover something they had considered buying from a UK vendor suddenly and appealingly dropping in price and/or in shipping cost in a way that you couldn't pass up?

I checked a couple of categories I follow on ebay to see if there happened to be any sudden bargains from the UK, but there wasn't anything that sparked my interest in the price ranges I checked. But maybe you were luckier.

Since most of the initial hullabaloo has subsided, what bargains there may have been might be over.

06-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I checked a couple of categories I follow on ebay to see if there happened to be any sudden bargains from the UK, but there wasn't anything that sparked my interest in the price ranges I checked. But maybe you were luckier.
Did the same
Just after the Brexit, pound lost 10% against euro.
Some companies like online stores ASOS, simply closed the shopping acces.

On Ricoh Imaging UK website, maybe 2 hours after the vote, prices had already been changed. Maybe because they're good indexed to exchange rates?

The day after the Brexit, the pound already gained to 5-6%. So no real deals to make out there, and companies had time to adapt.

As i'm in France, i was interested to look on Ebay UK, they have good pentax dealers like SRS Microsystems. But no deals whatsoever.

So, as for EUR/Pound, no deals. Seems no USD/Pound either.

Maybe deals will be more attractive if the pound goes down in the next few months !
06-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
With the British Pound dropping in value recently, it necessarily affected the conversion rates between it and the USD and other currencies. So did any Pentaxians discover something they had considered buying from a UK vendor suddenly and appealingly dropping in price and/or in shipping cost in a way that you couldn't pass up?
I thought seriously about it, but the one British thing I'd been watching on e-bay had already gone. Seems only fair to support them regardless, though.
06-30-2016, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #4

Ì bought a lightly used K-3 II from the SRS Ebay shop. The price was good, but not the superbargain one might have hoped for with the Brexit and all. Paypal earns a lot on the exchange rate anyway compared to XE.com midmarket rates.

06-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

SRS have a sale this weekend. Here's a link to their 'heads up' on the (UK) Pentax User Forum > https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/srs-microsystems-weekend-offers----56584
06-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There may be deals down the road, but you know, once this whole Brexit hot mess starts getting straightened out. Eventually.
06-30-2016, 02:55 PM - 3 Likes   #7

I'm in the United Kingdom and I did the opposite, I bought a £500 lens from Ricoh EU last week before the announcement because I crystal ball gazed and decided that if the UK rejected BREXIT then the effect on the value of the GBP would be minimal, however a vote for BREXIT would probably spark a sudden depreciation, possibly followed by a slower but sustained decline in value against most major currencies. Finally I've found a use for that BSc Econ university degree I scraped thirty odd years ago.! :-) Before the BREXIT vote the UK economy was actually doing quite well compared with the other G7 and G20 members with low inflation (too low perhaps), low unemployment and some growth (albeit slow), then my fellow countrymen decided that they were tired of the quiet/stable/comfortable life and wanted a bit of excitement. The B of E has announced today that the projections for the economy in the near term are not good and have suggested that it may indulge in another round of quantitative easing (basically increasing M3 and credit [the money supply]) to try to stimulate demand in the economy, it has also suggested a drop in interest rates may be likely, what I'm trying to say is that the value of the GBP is more likely to keep declining that it is to rise. So keep an eye out for UK bargains in the next few months but be aware that the falling pound will make buying in new stock by the importers more expensive in the medium term hence retail prices will start to rise if demand is maintained (inflation?). This theory is okay if the value of the Dollar, Yen, Renminbi and Euro stays much the same against other currencies, and as I can't predict the outbreak of wars, earthquakes, fuel crises, terrorist incidents, floods, ebola or whatever then I can't guarantee that. :-)

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-03-2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Removed political commentary
06-30-2016, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I only rarely purchase something from the UK, like once every few years, and the gradual increase in postage costs for things sent at the "Small Packets" rate has added up. So I wouldn't have minded discovering that the new exchange rate against the US dollar might have made getting something easier. So I thought it was worth asking if others were thinking similarly. On the other hand, since I have a few online acquaintances in the UK, I felt concerned about seeming to benefit by their country's misfortune. But then has been posted, it could be that continued sales, even if at lower prices, would be more helpful than not.

As for the economics, while I realize that there is some uncertainty about what the vote might result in, I think all of the stock and money traders are nuts and seriously in need of clinical psychological help. They ought to be smart enough to know that they should hold, not sell, when there is uncertainty. But instead they all stampede, shrieking like a bunch of ninnies, making everything thousands of times worse than they could have been otherwise.. Meanwhile people like Warren Buffet are buying up all the things the ninnies are undervaluing, not worried in the least about the panic.
06-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't think there are too many bargains to be had as most stuff is cheaper your side of the pond to start with
07-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #10

SRS Microsystems are having a stunning instant Pentax sale this weekend, there may be bargains for everybody.

See: Pentax Specials - Promotions

Nick

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-03-2016 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Removed political commentary
07-02-2016, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered a 100 ft spool of Ilford Pan 400 film from UK seller The Imaging Warehouse.
This film is not normally sold in USA, and this is the first time I've seen it in available in bulk.
The favorable exchange rate is an added incentive.

Chris
07-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #12

Thank God someone dragged this thread back to photography! :-)
07-03-2016, 12:43 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - I've had to edit or delete numerous posts here to remove political comments / opinions, and delete others because they are no longer contextually relevant.

Please don't discuss politics and political issues here on the forums, per our forum rules.

Many thanks
07-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
BigMackCam -- Thanks for the reminder and for taking your time to make the edits. I must apologize for having posted a question in the original post which, although about the subject of photographic purchases, inevitably was tangential to politics since it related to the occasion of a national referendum vote which may have affected international photo purchase costs. I think, to the extent participating Pentaxians sympathized or commiserated about the effects and background of that context, a great deal of restraint was employed by them to avoid pushing personal political views. Nonetheless, this violated the forum rules, for which I am sorry.

ChrisPlatt -- The Imaging Warehouse is an interesting resource!
07-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for that, and no apology necessary; it's all good. I did try to leave the purely photography-related content intact within the thread, as far as possible