Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I had a few bags, my favorite so far is from Caselogic : https://www.caselogic.com/en/international/products/camera/backpacks/slr-cam..._-_206_-_black
I can put all my DSLR stuff (K3+K5+ 70-200 f/2.8, 5-6 primes, possibly a flash), a laptop and some accessories (hard drive, batteries). The only downside I can see to it is that it is not fully water resistant for rain (not recommanded for more than 15min rain).

07-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Buying camera bodies and lenses, and being happy with those as well, is easy. That doesn't seem to workout with camera bags though, at least for me. I've tried about 9 in all shapes and sizes. But they're always either to big, to small, in the way, strangling me, etc...

I know I need something small, my camera with a lens, and an additional lens (maybe two) is all I ever take with me. And I prefer the messenger style bag over any other type. And sadly, a bag that doesn't scream EXPENSIVE CAMERA EQUIPMENT is a must in my part of the world.

So who has found a bag that fits in this category and is very happy with it? I really like to see your suggestions.
Domke F-5XC.
07-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that all camera bags are going to disappoint. Every bag I've tried is ultimately
too wide, too long and/or too tall on the outside, yet too small on the inside. I have yet to find a bag that is otherwise.

I'm currently using the Pentax Adventure bag. It meets most of my needs most of the time, (small-ish, yet able to carry
a body + 2 or 3 small primes). Nonetheless, it too is often too large on the outside while being too small on the inside.

Patiently waiting for a Bag of Holding, with padded inserts.
07-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Think Tank Photo Retrospective 30 Shoulder Bag, among others, and it is the bag that I use most often. It is quite inconspicuous which is one of its best features. And for me it is the perfect size, since I usually tend to take more kit than I need. You would probably prefer a smaller size, but it looks like it fits your prerequisites.

07-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't found the perfect bag and also have several. Based on your requirements I thknk you should look at the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home. It's a medium sized messenger bag with adjustable dividers and I can put a body, a couple of lenses and a flash in there which is often as much as I want to carry. Good solid bag although I'm more likely to use a backpack with the kind of shooting I do. But for the right outing it's perfect.
07-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that all camera bags are going to disappoint. Every bag I've tried is ultimately
too wide, too long and/or too tall on the outside, yet too small on the inside.
What you need, sir, is one of them there Dr Who's Tardis'...
07-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What you need, sir, is one of them there Dr Who's Tardis'...
I made the same point earlier on this thread, and pleaded for notice by the bag-makers.

07-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian

i too have a bunch and recently bought and immediately flipped a Kata bag that looked great on paper but was a total fail.

I tend to gravitate to Lowepro, have a Slingshot 200AW for my K3II rig and the Slingshot 302AW for my 645Z rig. Also have the Lowepro lens cases for my tele that can add on to either of those. If i am just doing an event, i use the Lowepro belt with a few small lens cases attached to it, no bag.
07-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I made the same point earlier on this thread, and pleaded for notice by the bag-makers.
Indeed you did, Walt. My apologies - I was in another dimension
07-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpritchardv Quote
I know you mentioned wanting a messenger style bag, but I figured I'd mention the lowpro hatchback bag

Photo Hatchback 22L AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

I just picked one up and it is incredibly and everything I wanted, and it has the added bonus of being able to be used as a normal backpack when its not holding camera equipment.
I second this bag. I have tried the Domke and many other messenger style camera bags. Finally, I have found backpack bags are the best. I fit my K-5iis, 50-135, 17-50, 10-17, 50 1.8, 3 flashes, flas controler, memory cards, and some room to spare. Because the compartment is at your back, people can't easily steal.
07-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Indeed you did, Walt. My apologies - I was in another dimension
I know that place. Go there almost daily. Frequently think I'm there upon awakening, may take several minutes to realize where I am.
07-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have several bags. Too many, really. None of them are perfect, but the one I end up carrying most often is one which seems to meet your requirements: small(ish), lightweight, enough space for a camera and a couple of lenses. As an added bonus, it expands by unzipping in the back to occasionally carry a larger lens in it's case (back area has no padding), like the 60-250mm I use.

Lowepro Passport Sling III (Black) LP36657 B&H Photo Video

It is listed as: 5.7 x 17.3 x 16.1" / 14.5 x 44.0 x 41.0 cm in size, but it really isn't that huge. The main case is about 8-9" in height and the expandable back portion comes up the strap to get to near 16". (see the illustration at B&H) Expanded, that area can hold all kinds of various items you may need, including another shirt for layering or various photography supplies. Or leave it zipped for a small bag. There's a water bottle pocket in front.

What I guess I like most is that everything is available at one level right at my fingertips on my side, so I can reach in, grab something else and make a change. Or if walking a long distance, the smallish size, light weight, and wide strap means it's not a burden. I've worn it all day.

happy hunting!
07-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #28

Hi Wilfried,

I can strongly recommend the Crumpler Cupcake 5500. I'm using it for years and it's easy to remove the Crumpler badge, so al that is left is a very inconspicuous black sling bag.

https://www.amazon.de/Crumpler-Cupcake-Kameratasche-verstellbaren-Inneneinte.../dp/B0047ZEPHS

It's the perfect size for K-5 with a zoom and up to three DA primes...
07-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like many of you, I have an assortment of bags. Like purses for you ladies and tackle and tool boxes for fishermen and mechanics, these things are always too big/small/bulky and don't hold enough! I have given up, at my wife's insistence! I have a very large bag I use for storing everything and then have a backpack bag for trekking long walks, a sling (LowePro) for walk-abouts and a larger bag for general shooting needs where I might be in one or two locations and I can work out of the bag. Plus I have a waste type bag for filters and another one for macro stuff! Oh yes, then there is the shooting vest too! Sometimes I go out loaded for bear (literally).

What this has forced me to do is plan my shoots more. Am I doing landscape photography? I don't need the f2.8 300mm. Doing nature/wildlife? Take one WA in case I see a nice landscape while I about, but keep most of my room for the large lenses. This does force me to duplicate some things (mostly lens cleaning supplies) but we all need multiples of these anyway!

The best bag I ever saw was a fantasy, Hermione Granger's Bag in Harry Potter. as Ron says, "I love that bag"!
If someone finds something like that, please let us know!
07-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #30

Tamrac Aria 6 is my favorite all around bag.