Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Did anybody ever find their 'perfect' camerabag?
Aye... mines a medium sized pick up truck, as shown here.

07-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
oh, if we're gonna show the bags we want vs what we have...

HoldFast Gear Roamographer Camera Bag (Brown, Regular) RCB01-BR
It may be a cultural thing, but that looks very feminine. With the current influx over here in Europe a bag like this might result in worse events then bag that screams camera.

I'm going with the small kata.
07-10-2016, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
One thing I don't have and would like to acquire is the means to carry my M400/5.6 around. Looking for a lens case or a large holster that will hold the lens + body attached. Suggestions welcome!
I was carrying my K-3 and DA*300 on a sling and not worrying too much about the weather. When I bought the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, I started searching for a case that would protect it. I always use a hood and much of what I shoot requires a quick response, so I needed a carrier that would fit the camera and lens with hood in shooting position. The only one I could find was the Think Tank Digital Holster 30 v2.0. The DA*300 and Tamron are close in size and it fits either with the hood deployed.

I prefer the K-3 with grip with large lenses, and the gripped K-3 does fit, but it's snug. Sometimes it's hard to get my fingers locked on, which slows down my quick draw. I still prefer to use this system with the grip.

Unique holster developed for a regular size DSLR with a 70-200mm f/2.8 and lens hood in shooting position
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-30-v2
07-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It may be a cultural thing, but that looks very feminine. With the current influx over here in Europe a bag like this might result in worse events then bag that screams camera.

I'm going with the small kata.
This, "very feminine"?

Attached Images

07-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
This, "very feminine"?
It look like a diaper bag is you ask me... A really nice leather diaper bag.

07-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #51
Veteran Member

There isn't a perfect camera bag; but there are perfect camera bags for specific shooting needs / situations. Most of us amateurs may have 3 camera bags. 1) Gear intense all-around bag loaded with lenses and creative lighting options, 2) the light, travel & multi purpose bag, 3) the adventure, sports and wildlife backpack that holds longer glass. Based on your post I believe #2 is your focus.

A couple of years ago I purchased a Timbuk2 snoop messenger. Great bag, protective and functional. Just over a year ago my wife gave me a Domke F-4AF bag. It's now my primary camera bag. I even cannibalized the Timbuk2 for extra dividers for the Dome bag! In one word the Domke bags are "superb" - they're not quite as luxurious as the Billingham Hadley bags but the Domke line is reasonably priced and available in a weatherproof wax wear finish. Most of all the Domke bags look very casual and blend in like an old pair of jeans.

The Dome F-5XC or F-5XB (the XB is smaller) are ideal for a small kit Camera with lens + a lens or two. The Dome F-832 medium photo courier bag in a weatherproof wax wear coating is also worth looking at.

If you wish to keep the budget down a little more; Vanguard manufactures excellent equipment and has a "Havana" line that would meet your needs as well. http://www.vanguardworld.ca/photo_video_ca/products/camera-bags.html?series=279
07-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure if I have, but my all time favorite camera bag is called a Costar Limited 505. I have had it a long time am I am not even sure where I got it but I think it was a camera store. If not, maybe a K-Mart when they had a camera section. No matter what I have purchased since I always go back to it. Even my Tenba 684-341 does not match it in my eyes. And I got it after a long hard look. The little beast hold 2 bodies, one with a lens on and anywhere from 4 to 6 additional lenses. Or extension tube set and tele adapter in lieu of two lenses. The pouch on each side can carry 6 rolls of film each and the zipper pouch on the front holds a lot of filters. The little zippered compartment on the bottom of the top cover has held all sorts of thin little accessories from film tab retrievers to K-mount adapters to memory cards. The side pouches now carry other items like memory cards, remote cable, battery grip and charger. Plus extra batteries wherever they fit.

The bag had held up well for 30 years or so. It just works for me and I always find myself going back to it. It is not a large bag either. Actually smaller than the Tenba too. Just very good at what it does

07-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There is no such thing.
Camera bags only come in two sizes. Too big and too small.
I always keep coming back to Domke bags.
They're well-made and easy to work from.
They make models in sizes to fit all needs.

Chris
07-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I always keep coming back to Domke bags.
I've got three. They're just so comfortable and versatile. Here's a quick video comparison of some of my Domke bags and the Billingham Hadley Pro.

07-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye... mines a medium sized pick up truck, as shown here.
LOL!

D-Max. That's what I use. Got a 4 door crew cab and a 2 door king cab. Old mind, like 2004/2005.
07-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #56
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
LOL! D-Max. That's what I use
For me... certainly gets all the kit from A to B, no matter where.

07-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #57
Veteran Member

For me... certainly gets all the kit from A to B, no matter where.

I don't just use them for photography. The D-Max's.

The old woman got so fat (5'6" and 125 kgs) after the last kid we couldn't get her in the passenger bit and instead had to load her into the rear bay like a commercial load to go anywhere.

I've overhauled the suspension since. (Seriously).
07-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #58
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I don't just use them for photography. The D-Max's.
I trust she's not reading this over your shoulder?...
07-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I trust she's not reading this over your shoulder?...
Nah, I'm 6500 miles away. D-Max for Thailand, VW for the UK.
07-12-2016, 01:27 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... I'm now thinking about the Lowepro Messenger 180 AW:

It's not an obvious camerabag, carries a large amount of kit and certainly looks good. It's just much bigger then I planned. The 160 AW is supposed to be smaller, but I can't find it in the stores anywhere.

This weekend on a typical family trip, I take my K5IIs, HD DA 35mm ltd and SMC DA 15 ltd. So the bag can really be smaller, but there are no unconspicuous bags of a smaller size. The smaller ones always end up being holster style camerabags.