Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 02:37 AM   #61
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Hmmm... I'm now thinking about the Lowepro Messenger 180 AW:

It's not an obvious camerabag, carries a large amount of kit and certainly looks good. It's just much bigger then I planned. The 160 AW is supposed to be smaller, but I can't find it in the stores anywhere.

This weekend on a typical family trip, I take my K5IIs, HD DA 35mm ltd and SMC DA 15 ltd. So the bag can really be smaller, but there are no unconspicuous bags of a smaller size. The smaller ones always end up being holster style camerabags.
Is that all you're carrying? This means about this size: https://www.dccameras.com.au/lowepro-format-120-shoulder-bag-6983.html

If you have your own 'inconspicuous bag' already you could fit this into it: https://www.dccameras.com.au/ona-the-roma-camera-insert-10051.htmlIt's more than you need for the K5IIs and the small DA's but it is another option that might suit your security requirements.

Tas

07-12-2016, 04:10 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Hmmm... I'm now thinking about the Lowepro Messenger 180 AW:
It's not an obvious camerabag, carries a large amount of kit and certainly looks good. It's just much bigger then I planned. The 160 AW is supposed to be smaller, but I can't find it in the stores anywhere.
That product line is discontinued. The similar Event Messenger 150 is slightly smaller than the 180 AW and is readily available.
07-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Dome F-5XB can be set up in several configurations. I typically load it with one of my 3 pancakes on a K-5II and the other two in the lens compartments. My gang of three is the 21, 40, 70 combination. Sometimes I substitute the 70 in a lens compartment for the D FA 100 WR. If I want to load the bag with the 100 macro on camera I have to remove one of the internal dividers limiting carrying capacity to camera with lens + one more. It's a small bag. Perfect for travel or day trips. The waxed version is weatherproof too!

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 09-03-2016 at 05:50 PM.
07-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #64
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Five Camera Bags for the Discerning Film Photographer

07-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
The Dome F-5XB can be set up in several configurations. I typically load it with one of my 3 pancakes on a K-5II and the other two in the lens compartments. My gang of three is the 21, 40, 70 combination. Sometimes I substitute the 70 in a lens compartment for the D FA 100 WR. If I want to load the bag with the 100 macro on camera I have to remove one of the internal dividers limiting carrying capacity to camera with lens + one more. It's a small bag. Perfect for travel or day trips. The waxed version is weatherproof too!
The Domke F 5XB is my favorite small bag to carry. I can usually get my camera with my FA 31 attached to a K-3 and one more small lens like the DA 14. It does not look like a camera bag either.

07-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #66
Pentaxian

I'll give another "thumbs-up" for Domke bags. I have a Domke F-3x that is my walking around bag. I was carrying it at a recent field trip with my camera club and one of the other long-time members laughed at my Domke and said, "How long have you had that bag?" I honestly couldn't remember. I think I bought it shortly after Domke released the F-3x, though, because I had been eyeing the F-2, but thought it was a bit too big. Let's just say it was a LONG time ago! I have no idea when...or if...the thing will ever wear out. Except for losing a small bit of the rubber in the shoulder strap, it looks pretty much the way it did when I bought it all those years ago. I didn't list it as my perfect camera bag, but it's certainly my most used bag. I work out of my car a lot, so my normal routine when I'm going on a shoot is to take a large LowePro with enough gear to handle any situation. Then, once I'm on-site and see what's happening, I'll choose a more specific set of gear, toss it in the Domke, and head out.
07-22-2016, 04:38 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I'm looking at the pictures Driline and Saltwarer posted and, to me, they perfectly illustrate a flaw of many bags, including all Domke bags I've seen.

That zipper on top means the opening is narrow, especially at both ends. That means it's harder do get stuff out. It also means you're more likely to scuff and scratch your equipment on those hard zippers.

To me, the perfect bag needs to have a wide opening. That,s one other reason why I prefer a bag such as the Timbuk2 snoop messenger. It has a wide opening, but still manages to be rainproof thanks to the folding canvas protection at both extremities. That simple design is hard to explain with words, but pretty obvious once you handle the bag.

07-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Speaking of bags...... I need a new one but not very expensive one. I presently have a backpack and a small carry around (although, it's bright orange and too conspicuous) to use much. I now have a few more DSLRs (five in all), all Pentax of course but putting two such large cameras in my backpack makes it quite heavy....I'm of small structure so I need something that won't weigh me down. Any ideas?
07-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #69
Pentaxian

How big of a bag are you looking for photolady?
07-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

One that will hold multiple lenses and two full size DSLRs. My backpack will hold both cameras and several lenses but it's too heavy to carry afterwards.
07-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
My backpack will hold both cameras and several lenses but it's too heavy to carry afterwards.
Won't any bag have more or less the same weight? It's the stuff you put in it , after all, that fixes most of the total.
07-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Won't any bag have more or less the same weight? It's the stuff you put in it , after all, that fixes most of the total.
You're right. I'll just have to lighten the load the backpack.
07-22-2016, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe someone will develop one with helium flotation to make your load lighter!
07-22-2016, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That zipper on top means the opening is narrow, especially at both ends. That means it's harder do get stuff out. It also means you're more likely to scuff and scratch your equipment on those hard zippers.
I don't have any problems getting the camera in and out of my Domke bags, and the zippers are plastic, so no worries there. I've got a $250 Billingham Hadley Pro without zippers and a wide flap so I can honestly say there is little difference at least to me anyway pulling the camera in and out. I love both bags and use them for different purposes. But the Billingham Hadley Pro is just a beautiful piece of art.

Here's a few of my favorite bags with the Hadley Pro 2nd from the left.

07-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I like the old Lemans SE bags by Diamond. They're black with red trim, mostly weather-resistant, durable, etc. They look like camera bags.
I also really like the Domke F2. It's great for a camera and two extra lenses, but not much more.