Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
My usual day bag meets your requirements, the LowePro Event Messenger 150.
Yep, that's a good choice. Sure, its not weather-proof, but its relatively compact with good space and padding. It looks good, but not too extravagant. Fast to open and close.
Only flaw I find in it is if you want to carry a lot of lenses (like, if you want to carry a bunch of limited primes), as you have to dig through a little bit to get to each of them. But if you have a kit of a couple lenses and one camera, then its pretty good. I usually have camera and 2-5 primes (medium to small sized primes, from Samyang 14mm to Pentax M series primes.).
You can also find LowePro bags at good discounts at stores from time to time.

I'd say it really depends on the kit you are carrying, though. Some extra big lenses might be too big for messenger bags. Or maybe you need more space if you are carrying a lot of stuff (lenses, flash, filters, cards). Once you know your kit(s), then you can get specific bags for them. Reading OP, this might be a good choice. Camera with a lens mounted in one compartment, another lens or two in the other, still have some space for other things. And you have space in the back about the size of a magazine, for papers or other flat things. In the front you have more space for wallet, phone, sd cards, pen, whatever.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-23-2016 at 05:42 PM.
08-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #77

Peak Design has finally designed a backpack. It comes in two sizes, and the Kickstarter is up right now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-backpack-tote-and-sling

I'm ordering the 20L version.
08-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #78
Pentaxian

FWIW, I can't carry much on my shoulder alone and so I use mainly backpacks
- Walk-around: no-name holster which holds a K-3/K-5 with a 10-20 Sigma F4-F5-6/ or a 18-135 Pentax, + batteries/filters.
- More extensive walk-around and general non-photo: LowePro Hatchpack 22L, with or without the secure insert.
- Airshows and the like: LowePro 350AW (just about takes 2x K-series bodies and 70-200 F2.8 Sigma, 100-300 F4 Sigma, and 150-500 F5.6-F6.3 Sigma attached to one of the bodies, + cleaning kit, extra batteries and so on - it's pretty heavy, but relatively comfortable for reasonable walking distances, when loaded like that)
08-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Buying camera bodies and lenses, and being happy with those as well, is easy. That doesn't seem to workout with camera bags though, at least for me. I've tried about 9 in all shapes and sizes. But they're always either to big, to small, in the way, strangling me, etc...

I know I need something small, my camera with a lens, and an additional lens (maybe two) is all I ever take with me. And I prefer the messenger style bag over any other type. And sadly, a bag that doesn't scream EXPENSIVE CAMERA EQUIPMENT is a must in my part of the world.

So who has found a bag that fits in this category and is very happy with it? I really like to see your suggestions.
I use a no name canvas messenger bag with individual inserts for lenses. Very discreet!

08-02-2016, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if i posted this before, but the zipper on my Lowepro bag started acting up, probably from me abusing it by overloading the top pouch. I called Lowepro and they overnighted a new bag of the latest model and dd not ask for the broken one back. Just saying that goes a long way for a working pro who needs to maintain gear with no down time! Consider this when you are shopping.
08-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #81
Veteran Member

I have the Matin Balade Bag 300:

Until the Velcro stopped staying attached to the inside of the bag I was very happy with it. I can fit my K-5 with lens attached, plus two lenses, my wallet and power bank and a few more things. Instead of the walled and power bank 2 more lenses would fit, plus two more on the outside of the bag. All without being too massive, and most of all, not looking like a camera bag. It went through a lot with me, and while it shows wear and tear at places, it's really only the non-sticking Velcro that bothers me. Not being able to divide the inside is a serious issue... looking for other options now. Fortunately the Matin bag is relatively inexpensive (and it comes in smaller sizes too).